The Bloody Friday Massacres - 21st July, 1972

Started by Evil Genius, July 21, 2012, 05:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 22, 2012, 12:25:19 AM
I, too, would like to know why EG thinks every Irish person needs to see this on a "compulsory" basis.

So would I.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Shamrock Shore

Well, I cannot watch it on iPlayer as I am outside of the UK.

Still waiting for EG to let me know why he thinks I am obliged to watch it.

deiseach

ziggysego

I missed it, must watch it on the iPlayer.

Just a note EG: RTE Player is available in the north, except for programming which clashes with BBC, BSKYb or ITV,
Testing Accessibility

Applesisapples

Is it not time to give up on these anniversaries? I lived through it all once.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Saffrongael

Always sad when youngsters are murdered, as the fella that lost his wife, a mother of 7, said about the IRA - "absolute mindless morons", summed it up. All for nothing.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

saffron sam2

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

mylestheslasher

Brendan Hughes wrote a lot of stuff about Gerry Adams when interviewed by the Boston college thing. It was used by many unionists as strong evidence that Gerry was the man in charge on the street, ordered killings and ordered that Jean McConville be shot. In those same interviews Hughes, if i recall correctly, said that more bombs blew up than what they had planted. Did that come up at all on the program?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 23, 2012, 10:44:20 PM
Actually, it was the opposite as more bombs were planted than exploded, from memory two were defused and at least two didn't explode.
Big difference as Myles post infers a conspiracy.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 23, 2012, 10:45:21 PM
Quote from: Take Your Points on July 23, 2012, 10:44:20 PM
Actually, it was the opposite as more bombs were planted than exploded, from memory two were defused and at least two didn't explode.
Big difference as Myles post infers a conspiracy.

I don't have the book to hand but I'm almost certain Hughes said that.

Oraisteach

Amid the carnage of 1972, two deaths stand out in my memory (see SaffronSam's post)—the March 29 death of Ruby Johnson and the August 7 death of the soldier Geoffrey Knipe.

Sean O'Hagan wrote a poignant piece about Ruby Johnson's death.  Like myself, he grew up in Drumarg, not far from the Ring Road where the awful incident happened.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theobserver/2002/apr/21/features.magazine37

The best literary piece I've read about this whole period is Chapter 11 of Robert McLiam Wilson's novel Eureka Street. Worth a glance if you can get your hands on it.