Best Gaelic Games player ever

Started by The Real Laoislad, March 23, 2007, 08:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Can't think of anyone who was better than DJ myself,seen him in enough county and club matches over the years and he won more games on his own than i care to remember,the man was a genuis suppose it comes down to the age old question which is more skillfull Football or Hurling?
I wouldn't like to say myself as i come from a big hurling family but am more interested in football.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ONeill

Quote from: ziggysego on March 23, 2007, 10:06:53 PM
Quote from: Take Your Points on March 23, 2007, 09:20:51 PM
I think Frank McGuigan may have been eclipsed by another Tyrone player from an earlier generation.  An elderly gent at the MacRory final told me that the late Frankie Donnelly from Carrickmore was the greatest Tyrone player and greatest scorer in a single game.

I'm too young to know what the great Frankie Donnelly was like, but from my own experience I'll stick with Frank ;)

Mmm, are you actually double the age you claim you are? Maybe you're Art?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

thejuice

Its a tough question, but of the players ive seen with my own eyes, and not on TV, the ones who have epitomised what a Gaelic and Hurling player for me would have to be Jack O'Shea in football and Nicky English in Hurling. They may not be the greatest of all time but from what I saw in my lifetime they were great players
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

The Real Laoislad

Nicky was a great player alright i always remember the goal he scored when he kicked the ball into the net think it was around '89
Was unfortunate to have a run in with him one day,i was in Junior Cert year i think and worked in a petrol station part time and i think Nicky worked for Esso at the time,He had a account at the station which i didn't know about and when he said to me i'll sign for that petrol i was all like yeah right who the hell are you,i actually made him pay for the petrol in cash not beliving he had an account there as i didn't recognise him,He wasn't happy and rang my boss the next day complaining
You'll Never Walk Alone.

thejuice

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on March 24, 2007, 09:32:14 AM
Nicky was a great player alright i always remember the goal he scored when he kicked the ball into the net think it was around '89
Was unfortunate to have a run in with him one day,i was in Junior Cert year i think and worked in a petrol station part time and i think Nicky worked for Esso at the time,He had a account at the station which i didn't know about and when he said to me i'll sign for that petrol i was all like yeah right who the hell are you,i actually made him pay for the petrol in cash not beliving he had an account there as i didn't recognise him,He wasn't happy and rang my boss the next day complaining

Thanks hilarious, I can imagine I would be fairly pissed off too, "ye little shite ye"
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

lawnseed 2

considering his size and the fact that he was virtually unsupported physically by his even smaller team-mates i have to say ptg by a country mile, the punishment meated out to him by guys who just were not able to mark him would have put most men off, having said that where does that leave enda mc nulty who could mark him. this is a dumb thread

youngfella

Pull hard and early

fearglasmor

You cant say ever, only in your own memory. On that basis I'd have Jack O'Shea.
In hurling it would be Shefflin. Don't know any handball, camogie or ladies football players.

oakleafer

QuoteDon't know any ...........ladies football players.

I do.......but in fairness, I was extremely drunk.

youngfella

yea dirty hur ya.... did they mark there men tight ? ?
Pull hard and early

An Gaeilgoir

Paddy Prendergast who played for Mayo was pretty special as was Mickey Kearns from Sligo,But Sean Purcell was no.1 in my book.
As for hurling it has to be King Henry,he is so consisent at both club and county. Ahead of D.J in my book.

slow corner back

In the current era ie last 40 yrs it has to be DJ. Remember when he started the cats were an average side, poor by Kilkenny standards. Henry has joined an ongoing steamroller of a side which is always there or there abouts. Also the original question was about all gaelic games and unless I am mistaken DJ has a load of handball all irelands

rolloutking

DJ has to be the greatest GAA person ever. Various league, leinster and all-irelands for killkenny. leinsters and all irelands for st kierans in handball and hurling. Various underage leinsters and all irelands in handball including 40x20 minor if im not mistaken. A few all ireland doubles with duxie walsh, 1 world 17&under and 2 world under 23's. O aye throw in a few hurling allstars and player of the year, month etc. 

Beat that!

The Bottom Brick

Of the current crop, here's Paul Brady's 2006 GAA achievements (just one year mind)

Handball

All ireland senior singles
All ireland senior doubles
World senior singles
US senior singles
US senior doubles

Football

Played and scored in the Ulster SFC

Represented Ulster in the Railway Cup

Won county senior championship with his club

Probably the best of the lot at the minute, considering he's only 27

The best player on the unbeaten cavan team this season by a mile too, and just today qualified for the All Ireland senior singles final next Saturday

33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

rolloutking

PB's achievements this year are impressive and there is no doubt that he could be ranked along with Naty Alvarado Sr when he finishes. At the minute he's the best player in the world no doubt about that and brought a new level of dedication and professionalism to Irish handball anyway.
BUT although his football achievements would be very good for any normal intercounty player i feel DJ's hurling honours outweigh PB's football ones. DJ came along as a young player and became the best exponant of forward play during his time playing the game and became a world champion a few times over in handball. Rumor has it that he had the potential to be the best but just couldn't dedicate enough time to training with his hurling committments.

You could say the same with PB and his handball committments but in weighing the two up DJ has more success overall.