Kerry v Tyrone

Started by Ball Hopper, July 16, 2012, 08:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Jesus lads ye would need to catch yourselves on. "Oh the mean Kerry people called us names and their players were mean to our poor lads as well".

I've been to many a Tyrone v Derry match with an 'atmosphere' so don't start acting like this is some kind of new thing or that Tyrone fans are some kind of 'holier than thou' bunch of angels. The All Ireland teams would have relished that atmosphere for a game and would have won that game at all costs. All that Saturday demonstrated was that Tyrone have fallen down the pecking order and have a lot of work to do.

As much as it pains me to agree with him rrhf has the right idea. The best team won, don't forget the game but get back to the drawing board so that next time you get the victory down there!

J OGorman

I'm enjoying this..Tyronies are seriously going on about the verbals from some Kerry fans "they really meant it!" ffs! Jayzus, the abuse some of the Derry players take from the Healy Pk faithful wouldn't even compare. On the pitch, Kerry played Tyrone at their own game, the cynicism, the playacting, verbals etc and won easily. You cannot have it both ways.

cadence

sad to hear that some of the crowd's behaviour was poor (nothing wrong with a bit of banter). those involved need to be mindful of what the game's about. have pride and be passionate about your county, but never let it get out of control and descend into treating others like that. they should be ashamed of themselves.

cadence

Quote from: J OGorman on July 23, 2012, 10:21:11 AM
I'm enjoying this..Tyronies are seriously going on about the verbals from some Kerry fans "they really meant it!" ffs! Jayzus, the abuse some of the Derry players take from the Healy Pk faithful wouldn't even compare. On the pitch, Kerry played Tyrone at their own game, the cynicism, the playacting, verbals etc and won easily. You cannot have it both ways.

don't be silly. you have to have standards.

Applesisapples

Quote from: EC Unique on July 22, 2012, 02:11:29 PM
Tyrone are still way ahead of Armagh who in turn are miles ahead of Derry.
I wouldn't say that, Tyrone only managed to get past Armagh because of our inept sideline and sh*t decision making.

J OGorman

Quote from: cadence on July 23, 2012, 10:25:54 AM

I take my kids to the matches, of course you have to have standards !

blewuporstuffed

i have been at those tyrone v derry games aswell, and there certainly can be a bit of venom in the crowd alright, but believe me,  i was in kilarney on saturday and i have never heard it on such a mass scale before.
obviously there were alot of kerry folk that where grand, but overall the mood in the crowd was incredible, and it certainly translated through to the players (kerry where more up for a game than i have ever seen them) and the referee aswell, who completly bottled it
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Estimator

Hostile crowd, posionous atmosphere, abuse, fans spitting venom... Welcome to any Derry v Tyrone match at Healy Park, Celtic Park, Clones or Casement.  Some people on here must not attend these games or are blind, deaf and dumb to the antics of their own fans. 

As for the Kerry tactics, Derry did exactly the same in 2006 in Omagh. Derry won by 6pts. Hub Hughes got sent off due to thumping Hinphey. Nothing was learned from that day with how to cope with that game plan.
Ulster League Champions 2009

thejuice

Coldrick should have just booked everyone at half time and told them any more guff from any one and you're off.

I'd have hated to ref that match.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

orangeman

Mickey Harte has admitted he had "concerns" when he heard David Coldrick had been appointed to referee Saturday's qualifier against Kerry.

Harte branded the red card that Coldrick showed to Brian McGuigan -- on the field some 30 seconds before he barged into Declan O'Sullivan's back in an off-the-ball incident -- as "ridiculous."

"I have to say I was (concerned). I'm not taking this position now because were beaten, that we're blaming the referee. He didn't beat us.

"But again, what influence do people like this have on these games? That's the third game that he did (he also took charge of the Division 2 league final against Kildare and the Ulster semi-final against Donegal -- both games that Tyrone lost) and I said myself that I don't feel he benefits our team. Take what you want out of that."

Edgy

Harte expressed his disappointment with the high number of yellow cards (16) that Coldrick produced in an edgy, fractious game.

"I thought that we had left that behind us when Pat McEnaney came in to look after referees, in that he was sending the message out that you don't need a plethora of yellow cards.

"But it didn't seem to get the message through to this man today. Every other game I have seen in the championship to date, I have seen the card-count go way down. I thought it made for better games. That didn't happen today."

Coldrick, though, is considered one of the more reluctant referees to show cards.

And just as he did in the Donegal game, he gave more frees to Tyrone than he did to their opponents.

But he incurred Harte's wrath for sending off McGuigan, a player who may now bring his career to an end, having come out of retirement earlier this summer.

"I'm disgusted with the red card. There was no merit in that at all for any referee," Harte said.

"It was harsh. I don't believe running into somebody with your shoulder is a sending-off offence. I haven't seen much of it in my time in football.

"I don't think with the kind of tackling that was going on there today that it was a red-card offence.

"Yes it was a foul, it was petulant and it happened -- but to give a red card for it, I thought it was quite ridiculous.

"Without a doubt it made a difference. Kerry are hard enough to play with 15 men. When you are playing them with 14 men -- and you are struggling anyway to come to terms with the power and pace of them -- it became a damage limitation job for us, and I don't think we made a good fist of that."

Harte commented on the level of respect he and his team had received since landing in Kerry earlier in the day.

"The (Kerry) people are most respectful of Tyrone and Tyrone football, and that's all I got from when I came down here today -- total respect from all the people who I met."

- Colm Keys

cadence

Quote from: J OGorman on July 23, 2012, 10:40:55 AM
Quote from: cadence on July 23, 2012, 10:25:54 AM

I take my kids to the matches, of course you have to have standards !

that's good... and i'm glad you feel like you can. it should never be the done thing to target vitriol, abuse and aggressive behaviour en masse towards other fans. that stuff can never be deemed just a bit of crack.

if some tyrone fans are saying they felt it got nasty, it's not the way it's supposed to be...

screenexile

Mickey Harte would need to wind his neck in it looks like he's trying to Scapegoat Coldrick for the 3 losses they have suffered this year to try and keep the Tyrone people on side and keep the job.

They were well beaten in all 3 games and the referee has had very little to do with it. Yes he made a mistake yesterday but as has been said he gave Tyrone more frees than Kerry so he clearly wasn't biased he just made a mistake!

Should Coldrick come out and say that the Tyrone management team made a mistake in bringing Brian McGuigan and McMenamin back in the team? No! So why then should Mickey Harte start criticising Coldrick when he makes a mistake?

ONeill

The pain wanes.

The behaviour of the Kerry fans shows how deep the hurt was these last 9 years. They must've been miserable. That release will do them good and there'll be a bigger turkey on the table this Christmas. Remember the venomous game in Omagh a while ago? I wasn't at it but was led to believe the atmosphere was similar.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Galvin's 'rap' puts rhythm back in kerry

By Billy Keane
Monday July 23 2012

This was as good as an All-Ireland. Kerry have finally quelled the 10-year Tyrone rebellion with a 10-point win. Three defeats in a row to Tyrone cut deep -- a blot on an almost perfect career copybook.

The boys of the old brigade never gave up. Aidan O'Mahony and Tomas O Se played as if their years of toil were no more than a scroll back through an online calendar. Marc O Se of the mazy ways is the best defender in Ireland.

Eoin Brosnan was clever and cool. Declan O'Sullivan kicked points while he was hanging off the side of his marker like a Cossack trick rider.

Kieran Donaghy is back and in his glorious pomp.

Killian Young and Donnacha Walsh served shorter sentences in the Tyrone jail and they, too, gave their all.

And the Gooch would find space for a Giant Sequoia in a box of matches.

It is, indeed, a tribute to Tyrone that this win means so much to us. Three times they plundered the family silver from our grasp and on each occasion they were the better team.

Alas, a few of their number let the county down. There were bad tackles from both sides, but it was persistent from Tyrone.

However, then you had Eoin Mulligan, scorer of the wonder-goal that changed a county's destiny. He wore a Kerry jersey and mixed with the crowd after the game.

This is the Tyrone we will focus on, the Tyrone of Peter Canavan, Sean Cavanagh, Stephen O'Neill and Brian Dooher. Footballing immortals all.

Mickey Harte looked tired and a little frail as he offered his congratulations to the Kerry team.

He will be back and we wish him well.

No doubt Mickey will spend the rest of the summer minding his family and maybe taking a few sessions with the U-12s.

Like most of us, he is hopelessly in thrall to the holy game of Gaelic football.

Yes, on days like this, it is a holy game and the Kerry goal was fashioned from a mesmeric combination of skill, brains, speed and guile.

When we attack all out, with no feck-acting, football becomes a great game again.

Kerry brought in pace and fresh faces.

We now have a bench that can change games, like Darran O'Sullivan did against Westmeath when he kept us in the championship

New boy Shane Enright messed up with his first touch, but he wasn't going to look back and he marked the north Kerry way, on the shoulder, hard and fast.

James O'Donoghue has speed and balance. He is a Kerry footballer to his very core.

The old ghosts who haunt this stadium must have leapt for joy at the sight of the high fielding from Bryan Sheehan and Anthony Maher.

They not only jumped over their opponents, but through them as well, a la Darragh O Se.

Goalkeeper Brendan Kealy steered the ball to his outside men with a perfect joystick. I'd hate to have to take him on at Playstation.

tackle

Paul Galvin was a DJ on Radio Kerry the night before the game and he set the tone with his Man of the Match rap. Galvin won every breaking ball and he threw himself headlong into every tackle.

This was the winning of it.

And what about Jack O'Connor? Last week the manager was only a wave of a flag from the sack. He got all the calls right this time.

Jack will tell his boys we've won nothing yet, but this was stand-alone history. Now he can face Mickey Harte as an equal.

Eamon Fitzmaurice and Diarmuid Murphy are his two sound lieutenants. Both are football past pupils and close friends.

Ger O'Keeffe is the man from the Golden Years who has been with Jack from the start.

His Kerry players seethed at the suggestion we were scared of the north. Our integrity as a county and our courage as a race of people was put into question.

Oh but the critics must feel very silly, indeed, this morning.

Not one Kerry man stood back. Not one Kerry man gave in.

The Emperor wears clothes. The Emperor wears green and gold.

- Billy Keane

Irish Independent
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

EC Unique

Quote from: screenexile on July 23, 2012, 11:10:22 AM
Mickey Harte would need to wind his neck in it looks like he's trying to Scapegoat Coldrick for the 3 losses they have suffered this year to try and keep the Tyrone people on side and keep the job.

They were well beaten in all 3 games and the referee has had very little to do with it. Yes he made a mistake yesterday but as has been said he gave Tyrone more frees than Kerry so he clearly wasn't biased he just made a mistake!

Should Coldrick come out and say that the Tyrone management team made a mistake in bringing Brian McGuigan and McMenamin back in the team? No! So why then should Mickey Harte start criticising Coldrick when he makes a mistake?

Yea, you are right. Referees should be completely immune from criticism. That is how we will improve the dismal level of refereeing of our games. ::)

Catch yourself on..