Galway vs. Kilkenny 2012 Leinster hurling final

Started by Cyril Farrell fan, July 04, 2012, 12:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyril Farrell fan

I'm more pessimistic than usual. In Galway hurling, the one sure thing is that when you think things can't get any worse, they do!

Kilkenny destroyed us in Nowlan Park in the league, by about 25 points.
They did the same to Dublin a couple of weeks ago and they barely broke a sweat.

Galway have let in 7 goals in the two matches with Offaly and Westmeath. David Collins is back in contention, but that's about the only bit of good news!

The stand tickets are €35 for this. A little bit steep I would have thought?...But I'd be afraid of not going in case I missed something great.

Can anyone give me reasons to be hopeful?

seafoid

Some day this crowd will click. It is when it is least expected that it happens.

thejuice

€35 is crazy.

They must be delighted with the empty seats. Perhaps they think they will save on wear and tear in the long run. I don't know what they base their prices on. Or perhaps they are just hopeless optimists.

Can't see a Galway win, but I was there in 2005 and you never saw it coming.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

seafoid

The cats have won 12 out of the last 13 Leinster finals.

That is a sad reflection on Offaly and Wexford.

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on July 04, 2012, 02:06:32 PM

And Dublin, And Laois and Meath and Carlow and Galway and Antrim and everyone else.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 04, 2012, 02:16:16 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 04, 2012, 02:06:32 PM

And Dublin, And Laois and Meath and Carlow and Galway and Antrim and everyone else.
Is this the worst it has ever been ?
Offaly haven't won Leinster in nearly 15 years.
I wouldn't berate Antrim.  They have only been playing in the province for 3 years or so. 

AZOffaly

I personally think this is a particularly bad cycle alright. Kilkenny are brilliant, gan dabht, but Offaly and Wexford are so poor and far off the pace that it's just not funny. In the past 30-40 years Wexford and Offaly would give Kilkenny their bellyfull of it, and even though those Kilkenny teams were not a patch on this one, in my opinion, Wexford and Offaly should be giving them at least the challenge that Galway, Tipp and Dublin have done in recent years.

Lecale2

The Leinster championship is dead now. Kilkenny should play in Munster as should Galway.

johnneycool

Quote from: Lecale2 on July 04, 2012, 11:08:57 PM
The Leinster championship is dead now. Kilkenny should play in Munster as should Galway.

Or god forbid, an open draw with seedings!!

Asal Mor

I was listening to Galway Bay Fm on the internet. Ollie Turner was talking about the Leinster Final " the Leinster Final is one of the biggest games of the year but is anybody actually looking forward to it?" There seems to be a fearful mood in the county approaching this with most people anticipating a big hiding. Galway hurling fans have always been a miserable, pessimistic bunch though. I'm a little bit hopeful if only for the fact that anything can happen in sport and it usually happens when it's least expected. Kilkenny are obviously awesome but I think Anthony Cunningham is getting something going with this team and I fancy us to produce a good performance. I don't think we'll beat Kilkenny but I think we have the athleticism to go close. I'd be very happy with that.

Asal Mor

seafoid

I don't think the LF has been a marquee day in recent years. More like a procession.

Galway are able to score goals so hopefully they'll stick in a few and make the match interesting. 

GalwayBayBoy

Think there will be a very poor crowd at this. Galway fans will be half dreading a hammering and with the Volvo in full flow back in Galway it's very tempting to stay at home and watch it from the bar counter or from behind the sofa and save their schekels for the quarter-final instead. Kilkenny fans will be fully expecting an easy win and I doubt the thought of collecting yet another Leinster title will do much for them. And that's even before you mention the ticket price.

Premier Emperor

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 05, 2012, 03:35:02 PM
Think there will be a very poor crowd at this. Galway fans will be half dreading a hammering and with the Volvo in full flow back in Galway it's very tempting to stay at home and watch it from the bar counter or from behind the sofa and save their schekels for the quarter-final instead. Kilkenny fans will be fully expecting an easy win and I doubt the thought of collecting yet another Leinster title will do much for them. And that's even before you mention the ticket price.

If they reduced the ticket price to €1 the place would still be deserted and have about as much atmosphere as a lunar landing.

You'll get a few hundred from Galway there and a couple of thousand of Kilkenny's legendary dryshyte followers.

GalwayBayBoy

The Galway team to face Kilkenny in the Leinster Final in Croke Park on Sunday 8th July 2012 will line out as follows:

1. James Skehill

2. David Collins

3. Kevin Hynes

4. Fergal Moore

5. Niall Donoghue

6. Tony Og Regan

7. Johnny Coen

8. Iarla Tannian

9. Andy Smith

10. David Burke

11. Niall Burke

12. Cyril Donnellan