The flask & The ham sandwich are back

Started by AshwoodGael, July 03, 2012, 08:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AshwoodGael

Welcome back the slice of ham

It was a sure  sign of the Celtic Tiger that on a trip home from Croker the guy in the back looked to stop and get a Panini . Before the boom no one knew of panini and most suspected he played midfield for Italy many moons ago. I'm sure he washed it down with a latte previously something you'd drive a nail through.

Gone are the damned panini and back is the ham sandwich with a flask of hot tea. There might be a squirt of mayo or a slice of cheese as a nod to our culinary advancements or maybe " Jamie Oliver cooks croker .........

The breakfast roll is a thing of the past also as is the yellow bib as rare now as a Sam Maguire medal in a\kilkenny sideboard 9thank god for some mercies).

The boots are now open after the match and the craic in ninety again.

Has anyone any more relics of the celtic tiger or staple GAA match diets ?????

ziggysego

I never strayed from the old faith sandwich and flash at matches. I couldn't betray it for a panini.
Testing Accessibility

MasterShake

Quote from: ziggysego on July 03, 2012, 08:36:59 PM
I never strayed from the old faith sandwich and flash at matches. I couldn't betray it for a panini.

Ye dorty divil ye.
"Calmer than you are".

laoislad

There is a small deli just down from the main entrance to the Pheonix Park that do great Chorizo and Chicken Paninis. Beats an aul dry ham sandwich hands down.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Are you f**king drunk?!

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

brokencrossbar1

Atta a boy ziggy man, you would be the meat in her sandwich alright!!!

eviemonkey

Would never bother much with food before a big game, usually either too nervous or hungover, or both. The nearest post-pub chipper at about 8 o'clock does the job for me.

The old fella is very much an advocate of the flask of tae and the ham sambos though. We were down in Killarney last summer and he brought in enough food to supply a soup kitchen. I was trying to tell him the game was only 70 minutes and we would be back to the car again in two hours and it wasn't like we were trekking to Everest Base Camp but to no avail. Half time and the food started appearing out of the shopping bag - a hot flask of tea, a litre of milk, sugar in a small bag, sandwiches (egg salad and ham), a bunch of bananas, taytos, Kit Kats, those apple calorie bars and a couple of Danone Actimels.

We were 8 points down at the time and the nerves were shot so I couldn't touch a thing but he enjoyed himself anyway.

ziggysego

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 04, 2012, 04:12:11 PM

Are you sure that's a "her"?
Testing Accessibility

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: ziggysego on July 04, 2012, 04:48:15 PM

Very much a "her", Faith Brown is a whole lotta woman!!!!

ziggysego

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 04, 2012, 06:18:55 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on July 04, 2012, 04:48:15 PM

Very much a "her", Faith Brown is a whole lotta woman!!!!

Looks more like Miss Fritton.
Testing Accessibility

Eamonnca1

Ah the memories. Getting off the train in Connolly station on All Ireland day and grabbing a seat to eat the pork chop sandwich. We were big shots, you see. And of course my dad never seemed to go anywhere without the flash for the tae.

laoislad

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 05, 2012, 08:14:12 AM
And of course my dad never seemed to go anywhere without the flash for the tae.

Fcuk me that's some good company. Did he ever mention Wonder Woman?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on July 05, 2012, 09:04:18 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 05, 2012, 08:14:12 AM
And of course my dad never seemed to go anywhere without the flash for the tae.

Fcuk me that's some good company. Did he ever mention Wonder Woman?
;D

Tae, anyone?

Eamonnca1