Square Ball

Started by highorlow, July 02, 2012, 09:57:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

What's the new rule on this? Do the commentators / pundits even know?

During the Dublin Kildare game Canning thought one move led to a square ball and then he was corrected by Carney saying the rule no longer exists.

Much later last night on the Sunday (Monday Morning) Game (a good few beers later) I think I heard McStay re-implementing the rule.

If someone can clarify the rule this would be a help.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Fear ón Srath Bán

The rule has been abolished, except where frees are concerned.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

highorlow

Was the Kildare punch point in the square from a free?

Redhand Santa

The lack of knowledge from the commentators yesterday was a joke. It was open play but the player was in the square before the ball was kicked in. Under the new rule you can only enter the square once the ball is kicked (during open play). Can't believe how much confusion its causing - its not that difficult!

highorlow

Thanks for that. Simple and better rule alright. McStay and even Canning were correct. Carney needs to do his homework.

On a side note all the soccer shite seems to have cured Canning from his "it's-a-huge-one-itis" ....

Main Street

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 02, 2012, 10:01:09 AM
The rule has been abolished, except where frees are concerned.
The rule has been amended not abolished, except where frees are concerned.

Rule 4.9 Official Guide Part 2 – Rules of Foul Play – Rule 4 Technical Fouls:
For an attacking player to enter opponents' small rectangle:
(a) During Play (excluding Set Play), before the final play of the ball into the small rectangle
(b) In Set Play, before the ball enters the small rectangle.

PAULD123

Look it's fairly simple lads:

1) For all dead balls (free kicks, side-lines, 45's...etc) - the old rule applies and I presume you know how that worked so you need no further explanation

2) For open play - It is effectively like soccer offside. You must be outside the square at the instant the ball is kicked. As soon as the ball is kicked you can run into the square (and wait for it)

Croí na hÉireann

Tiz mad Ted. Played a game Sunday where the ref told me that the square ball rule is gone except from dead balls. Was giving frees for "2 man tackle"s as well. "No such rule" says I. "There is" says he. Didn't stray outside the 65s either, you've got to love Junior football...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

mcpaddy

The only square ball rule should be that a goal can only be scored by the boot if a player is in the square.

Ard-Rí

Quote from: mcpaddy on August 25, 2012, 10:43:57 AM
The only square ball rule should be that a goal can only be scored by the boot if a player is in the square.

Gerrup outa that.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí