An Mhí Vs Baile Átha Cliath - Cluiche Ceannais Laighean 22/07/12

Started by thejuice, July 02, 2012, 09:20:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanog

Looking forward to this third gear or maybe they have a fourth.

Spoiled rotten, 100% home advantage, millions upon millions of investment, should never of won the AI last year, imho the most overrated gaelic football team of the modern era, they have alll the characteristics of what is wrong with the modern game, at least ten of their staring fifteen are not natural footballers.
My ultimate gaelic football fantasy would be for Kerry to humiliate them in croker palying free flowing attacking natural gaelic football.

Jinxy

I can live with losing by 3 points even though it isn't a true reflection of the game.
I was genuinely expecting a hammering and it looked on the cards for most of the 2nd half.
The timing of the 2 goals was terrible but the Dubs were still only tipping along in 3rd gear.
Donal Keoghan was very good for us I thought and I was impressed with O'Gara when he came on.
Skinned Menton and used possession well.
Midfield still a huge problem for us and I don't know the solution.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Jinxy on July 22, 2012, 07:35:08 PM
I can live with losing by 3 points even though it isn't a true reflection of the game.
I was genuinely expecting a hammering and it looked on the cards for most of the 2nd half.
The timing of the 2 goals was terrible but the Dubs were still only tipping along in 3rd gear.
Donal Keoghan was very good for us I thought and I was impressed with O'Gara when he came on.

Big Joe was superb today, may be a thought to leave him there the next day.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: seanog on July 22, 2012, 06:34:11 PM
Looking forward to this third gear or maybe they have a fourth.

Spoiled rotten, 100% home advantage, millions upon millions of investment, should never of won the AI last year, imho the most overrated gaelic football team of the modern era, they have alll the characteristics of what is wrong with the modern game, at least ten of their staring fifteen are not natural footballers.
My ultimate gaelic football fantasy would be for Kerry to humiliate them in croker palying free flowing attacking natural gaelic football.

bring out the gimp........................... ::)

squire_in_navy_slacks

Very disappointed, poor performance.......................all respect to the meath lads but we should have stood on your throats and buried ye in the second half, hats off to the meath lads, they put their shoulders to the wheel and sniffed our casual play, another 5 minutes buckos and ye could have even won the game,

Have a feeling we will draw kerry or kildare in the 1/4s and thats all she wrote, Ive a feeling thats our last game of this year

heffo

Still undecided if I'd be happier to have won by 10-15 points or come into the Quarters low key.

Beating teams out the door by 25 points in Leinster finals didn't do us any good in the past.

We should've had a penalty. Sheridan was very good when he moved out to the middle.

emmetryan

writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

Jinxy

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 22, 2012, 07:47:04 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 22, 2012, 07:35:08 PM

Big Joe was superb today, may be a thought to leave him there the next day.

We might as well.
He's not troubling the scoreboard too much.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Ard-Rí

But for one minute, we had Dublin. I don't buy this 3rd, 4th, 5th gear shite that's being peddled around here, Dublin gave today as good a shot as they'll give any other team in the tournament. Great spirit to fight back, but credit the Dubs, when their backs were against the wall, they came back up and got a lovely point, nearly two. Give us time, this group will be a serious team. Didn't see TSG analysis, but I doubt I missed anything insightful.

Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

From the Bunker

Quote from: Ard-Rí on July 22, 2012, 11:42:33 PM
But for one minute, we had Dublin. I don't buy this 3rd, 4th, 5th gear shite that's being peddled around here, Dublin gave today as good a shot as they'll give any other team in the tournament. Great spirit to fight back, but credit the Dubs, when their backs were against the wall, they came back up and got a lovely point, nearly two. Give us time, this group will be a serious team. Didn't see TSG analysis, but I doubt I missed anything insightful.

Nothing, other a fidgety Spllane trying to butt into McStays analysis!

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Ard-Rí on July 22, 2012, 11:42:33 PM

Philly mc Mahon says on twitter that hes wrecked after today and took some great shots from the meath lads, he will sleep well tonight, Meath gave there fill today so fair play to them

BennyCake

Is it beyond Dublin fans not to boo an opposing player when taking a free kick? It was disgusting. Not only kids, but adults.

Declan

A win is a win but still lots to do if we want to be back in Croker for September. Hard to pick out any stand out performers really. Alan was excellent until the injury, Bernard scored 1-6 including 2 beautiful points but still lost a couple of easy possessions and I thought O'Gara was very good .

Second half was strange and we definitely seemed to ease up a bit an no better team to try and take advantage than Meath but I thought we were more than 3 points a better team on the day.

Actually thought the best individual display was Keogan - as good a marking display by a corner back that I've seen in a while.

Baby dubs were excellent in the minor game and the difference in power and pace was frightening. I know a lot of those Meath minors and they are good footballers but they were blown away today.

Any chance of Kerry in Thurles for the Quarters please?

thejuice

I think it sort of went as I expected. Some of the young lads that shone against kildare didn't repeat it. We certainly had enough chances to win the game but didn't take them. Forward play was poor. Brian Farrell was back to the way he was 2 years ago, dropping the ball and missing catches. Joe wasnt effective at all as a forward. Graham Reilly while our best forward on the day was missing a lot of easy ones.

Dublin were definitely the better team and had a strong bench to call on. O'Gara was very effective when he came on. I know its not a new phenomenon but our lads being rugby tackled to the ground at the end is particularly bad for the game and perhaps some sending offs would be an effective deterrent. Poor limerick paid for their honesty on Saturday night.

For the neutral I imagine it was a bit hot and cold. Definitely not a classic encounter.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hound

Not sure how to analyse the game having only seen it the once. Highlight for me was Bernard's point after the Meath goal.  Its a fantastic blessing to have someone like that who demands the ball when we badly need a score. It doesnt always work out for him, but 1-3 from play and another 4 frees, made him my man of the match.

Not sure what our plan was re defending against Graham Reilly, but he found himself in acres of space an awful lot of time.

O'Gara did a great job for us when he came on. Didnt turn over one ball.

Roll on the quarters. I wouldnt mind avoiding Kerry!