Mayo V Sligo - Connaught senior final - July 15th

Started by sligoman2, June 25, 2012, 12:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

Good luck to both teams tommorow. It has all the makings for the game of the championship so far and finally the two best teams in Connaught for the last decade meet in a decider.

Should boil down to midfield again. I'd be worried that we won't handle McManus and Taylor in the middle.

It will be a close call and may the best team win.

p.s. Hope the Rossies and Tyrone don't tear up the pitch too much today!
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: highorlow on July 14, 2012, 11:03:54 AM
Good luck to both teams tommorow. It has all the makings for the game of the championship so far and finally the two best teams in Connaught for the last decade meet in a decider.

Should boil down to midfield again. I'd be worried that we won't handle McManus and Taylor in the middle.

It will be a close call and may the best team win.

p.s. Hope the Rossies and Tyrone don't tear up the pitch too much today!

That's a good point highorlow. The pitch has to be heavy with all this rain. I wonder, if Ros were playing on Sunday and Mayo today, would the Mayo game have been in Castlebar after all? What would Roscommon think about running out onto a cut-up pitch? I hope the sod holds out.

Mano

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 14, 2012, 12:14:42 AM
Not a word from the Sligo folk on here about what a rubbish job Kevin Walsh is doing?? I could have sworn they were adamant he should have been shown the door last year..........
Sligos record under Kevin last year was played 12 won 1. If he played the same tactics the last day against Galway in the 2010 Connacht final we would have been Connacht champions. He was criticised on merit for las years results alone. If we win tomorrow all will be forgiven.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 14, 2012, 11:48:17 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 14, 2012, 10:56:09 AM
Quote from: neilthemac on July 14, 2012, 10:44:43 AM
Ultimately, what has Kevin Walsh won with Sligo?
Here you are, courtesy of Wikipedia:
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Walsh_(Gaelic_footballer)
He was appointed manager of the Sligo senior football team in November 2008.
He led Sligo from Division 4 to Division 2 of the National Football League in his first two years in charge winning the Division 4 and 3 titles in the process. He also lead Sligo to the Connacht Junior Football Championship & All-Ireland Junior Football Championship in 2010. In 2011 he led Sligo to a second Connacht Junior Championship.
You could add in for good measure that he engineered wins over both Galway and Mayo in the senior championship of 2010. From what I can gather, that was the first time, Sligo beat the Big Two as Sligo people are fond of calling Galway and Mayo.
At the end of the day sligoman2 is a exile so youve got ask yourself this question, do outsiders do you Lar know more about Sligo or kevin walsh as a manager than Sligo people who go to every county and club game, know everything that goes on behind the scenes etc..? Its disrespectful to dismiss our opinions when we know alot more than you or any outsider. I dont comment on horan, newton or mullholland becuase respective countymen know more. There is this media and outsider spin on walsh thats not accurate, in that hes not the messiah hes made out to be, every win is credited to him but the loss to leitrim is the players fault, wtf...we lost 17/19 competitive matches over 1.5 yrs and you seem to think thats beyond criticism, seriously. I could go on but the Sligo players and management have a chance to redeem themselves tomorrow, i pray that they do.
With due respect my good friend, I was careful to stick with facts- I did not express opinions.

Sligoman2 stated:
Kevin has done a great job in my oponion.

To which I replied:
1. Would you believe that you are the first Sligo poster (ASAIK) that has come out openly and said what the rest of the country has been saying for years.
2. Indeed the abuse he got from some had to be seen to believed when he failed to deliver the Connacht title in 2010

I stand over both comments which, after all, are statements of fact.
neilthemac then asked:
I responded by outlining his record; being careful to point out that I was quoting from an article on Wikipedia. I helpfully supplied the relevant link.
I also added the following:
1. You could add in for good measure that he engineered wins over both Galway and Mayo in the senior championship of 2010.
2. From what I can gather, that was the first time, Sligo beat the Big Two as Sligo people are fond of calling Galway and Mayo.

Once more, I see nothing to retract there. Not a hint of an IMO, TBH or ASAIK, in that, is there?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Lar Naparka

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 14, 2012, 02:49:09 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 14, 2012, 02:27:22 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 14, 2012, 11:48:17 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 14, 2012, 10:56:09 AM
Quote from: neilthemac on July 14, 2012, 10:44:43 AM
Here you are, courtesy of Wikipedia:
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Walsh_(Gaelic_footballer)
He was appointed manager of the Sligo senior football team in November 2008.
He led Sligo from Division 4 to Division 2 of the National Football League in his first two years in charge winning the Division 4 and 3 titles in the process. He also lead Sligo to the Connacht Junior Football Championship & All-Ireland Junior Football Championship in 2010. In 2011 he led Sligo to a second Connacht Junior Championship.
You could add in for good measure that he engineered wins over both Galway and Mayo in the senior championship of 2010. From what I can gather, that was the first time, Sligo beat the Big Two as Sligo people are fond of calling Galway and Mayo.
At the end of the day sligoman2 is a exile so youve got ask yourself this question, do outsiders do you Lar know more about Sligo or kevin walsh as a manager than Sligo people who go to every county and club game, know everything that goes on behind the scenes etc..? Its disrespectful to dismiss our opinions when we know alot more than you or any outsider. I dont comment on horan, newton or mullholland becuase respective countymen know more. There is this media and outsider spin on walsh thats not accurate, in that hes not the messiah hes made out to be, every win is credited to him but the loss to leitrim is the players fault, wtf...we lost 17/19 competitive matches over 1.5 yrs and you seem to think thats beyond criticism, seriously. I could go on but the Sligo players and management have a chance to redeem themselves tomorrow, i pray that they do.
With due respect my good friend, I was careful to stick with facts- I did not express opinions.

Sligoman2 stated:
Kevin has done a great job in my oponion.

To which I replied:
1. Would you believe that you are the first Sligo poster (ASAIK) that has come out openly and said what the rest of the country has been saying for years.
2. Indeed the abuse he got from some had to be seen to believed when he failed to deliver the Connacht title in 2010

I stand over both comments which, after all, are statements of fact.
neilthemac then asked:
I responded by outlining his record; being careful to point out that I was quoting from an article on Wikipedia. I helpfully supplied the relevant link.
I also added the following:
1. You could add in for good measure that he engineered wins over both Galway and Mayo in the senior championship of 2010.
2. From what I can gather, that was the first time, Sligo beat the Big Two as Sligo people are fond of calling Galway and Mayo.

Once more, I see nothing to retract there. Not a hint of an IMO, TBH or ASAIK, in that, is there?
FACTS you say, first time sligo beat the big two, eh incorrect fact there lar, in fact we beat galway and mayo in 1975, Whats your definition of abuse, based on fact or your OPINION????????????????? fact is he won mickey mouse trophies so far which you correctly pointed out. Fact is he oversaw one of the worst runs of results in our history from 2010 final to to 2012 wexford with one of the best Sligo teams in our history which you seem hellbent on ignoring that FACT, for those of us who had to watch that its a little harder.

1. FACTS you say, first time sligo beat the big two, eh incorrect fact there lar, in fact we beat galway and mayo in 1975,
Actually, I prefaced the relevant remark with:
As far as I can gather..
That puts a different complexion on it, I guess.
I made a qualified remark; Therefore, this remark cannot be taken  as absolute fact. And a fact can't be a fact unless it is, well, a fact -or am I missing something? ;D

2. Whats your definition of abuse, based on fact or your OPINION??

Since you are the one raising this issue, maybe you should go back and check what you and others posted in the aftermath of that defeat. If you honestly feel that what you had to say at the time did not breach conventional guidelines on valid freedom of expression and on reasonable criticism, get back to me and we can discuss it further. You might also care to check what other posters had to say in response to your opinions.

3.  fact is he won mickey mouse trophies so far which you correctly pointed out.
Nah, I pointed out sweet eff all!
I quoted from an article written by some bucko who listed Walsh's achievements and he, in turn, expressed no opinion either.
3a. Fact is he oversaw one of the worst runs of results in our history from 2010 final to to 2012 wexford with one of the best Sligo teams in our history.'
Well, that's your opinion; two of them in fact.  I'm not saying anything about that because you won't accept that anyone not from within Sligo is qualified to express any opinion about anything that goes on in Sligo football. ;D

3b. which you seem hellbent on ignoring that FACT, for those of us who had to watch that its a little harder.
Once more, I repeat that I merely quoted from an article......etc. etc.
I ignored nothing as I wasn't commenting on anything!

BTW, I see you are revving up nicely for the game. Don't overdo it as I'm not being teetotally serious.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Roscommon took a bit of a shoeing at home today and Galway lose a close one in Casement Park. Neither result surprising imo. Can we read anything into these results as a kind of form guide? Just wondering?  Both on Sligo s side of the draw and both exit the championship early. I wouldn t read much into it myself.

Leitrim could be gone later this evening but I don t think anybody was reading anything into Mayo s win over Leitrim.

criostlinn

Ye are awful bucks altogether. Ye keep prodding and poking trying to awake the beast. Finally starting to get a result aswell.

Will ye leave the man alone. I dont think I can put up with another one of the melt downs

Cosmo Kramer

I think today's results prove that the best two sides in Connacht by a distance are in the final this year. Probably the best two sides of the last 6 or 7 years in the province overall as well - although Mayo have been more consistent than Sligo during this period.

Beyond that you can read nothing into it other than to say that, with the possible exception of Mayo and Sligo, Connacht football is fairly poor these days, with little sign of improvement coming from the other counties.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Captain Obvious

Mayo the best of a bad lot in Connacht they might be lucky to win another quarter final however that's the best they can hope for. Antrim's win over Galway proves Sligo result wasn't anything special after all.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 14, 2012, 06:55:35 PM
Mayo the best of a bad lot in Connacht they might be lucky to win another quarter final however that's the best they can hope for. Antrim's win over Galway proves Sligo result wasn't anything special after all.

Yeah. Connacht football's dead and gone.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 14, 2012, 07:11:16 PM

Hold on. Leitrim beat Wickla. Maybe Mayo not as bad as some think. Seems to me that apart from 1 or 2 counties all the provinces are muck.

Syferus

So lads. Championship done for the year, told Donie to miss a few frees because I didn't have enough time to converse with my Mao chums what with all the winning we were doing. How's the Mort doing in training? No?

spuds

Quote from: Syferus on July 14, 2012, 10:17:30 PM
So lads. Championship done for the year, told Donie to miss a few frees because I didn't have enough time to converse with my Mao chums what with all the winning we were doing. How's the Mort doing in training? No?
Have another sip of your shandy and sleep it off good laddeen.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

moysider

Captain Obvious

Quote from: moysider on July 14, 2012, 09:38:55 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 14, 2012, 07:11:16 PM

Hold on. Leitrim beat Wickla. Maybe Mayo not as bad as some think. Seems to me that apart from 1 or 2 counties all the provinces are muck.

Even Paddy O'Rourke's Armagh beat Wickla.