Mayo V Sligo - Connaught senior final - July 15th

Started by sligoman2, June 25, 2012, 12:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IolarCoisCuain

Fair play to the Sligomen. That "Arise and Go Now" poster or ad or whatever it is looks fantastic. Nice one.

Syferus

Imagine lads - if Sligo win they'll have played Galway, Roscommon and Mayo in Connacht finals over the last six seasons and we'll be the only ones with a victory over the William Butler men  :-*

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Syferus on July 06, 2012, 12:19:46 AM
Imagine lads - if Sligo win they'll have played Galway, Roscommon and Mayo in Connacht finals over the last six seasons and we'll be the only ones with a victory over the William Butler men  :-*
And?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 06, 2012, 12:23:55 AM
And?

Touchy!

moysider

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 06, 2012, 12:16:12 AM
Fair play to the Sligomen. That "Arise and Go Now" poster or ad or whatever it is looks fantastic. Nice one.

Yeah, nice poster concept in fairness. Big Kevin Walsh in silhouette an all.

Pity about the slogan at the bottom 'nothing beats being there'. Very ironic, considering the chosen location is going to make thousands not to bother going.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: moysider on July 06, 2012, 12:37:19 AM

Pity about the slogan at the bottom 'nothing beats being there'. Very ironic, considering the chosen location is going to make thousands not to bother going.

Wasn't the only locations of choice Roscommon or Galway. Basically you're saying Mayo will only travel in numbers if it's a home final, if that's true have Mayo become the Dublin of Connacht?

Lar Naparka

I'm sure you are trying to make a point but I for one can't figure out WTF you are on about. ;D
Is there an interpreter on the board?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 06, 2012, 12:51:28 AM

Wasn't the only locations of choice Roscommon or Galway. Basically you're saying Mayo will only travel in numbers if it's a home final, if that's true have Mayo become the Dublin of Connacht?

A lot of things have changed since some agreement back in 97 about neutral venues when Leitrim or Sligo involved in finals. 97 was even before Celtic Tiger times. Right now, in the pits of bad times, the CC needed as many people to attend this game as possible. As regards the bit in bould, I would be confident that Mayo will still travel in numbers ( we usually do, even when well outgunned) but not in the numbers that could have been there. Not sure Hyde will coax many more Sligos either, and could be many less. But at the end of the day it s as well to have it in the Hyde for transparency reasons.

Remind me again how Dublin come into this? I ve never seen them play Wexford in Nolan Park semi or final. We played Sligo in Mark. in 10. Confused??

Captain Obvious

Quote from: moysider on July 06, 2012, 01:09:21 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 06, 2012, 12:51:28 AM

A lot of things have changed since some agreement back in 97 about neutral venues when Leitrim or Sligo involved in finals. 97 was even before Celtic Tiger times. Right now, in the pits of bad times, the CC needed as many people to attend this game as possible. As regards the bit in bould, I would be confident that Mayo will still travel in numbers ( we usually do, even when well outgunned) but not in the numbers that could have been there. Not sure Hyde will coax many more Sligos either, and could be many less. But at the end of the day it s as well to have it in the Hyde for transparency reasons.

Remind me again how Dublin come into this? I ve never seen them play Wexford in Nolan Park semi or final. We played Sligo in Mark. in 10. Confused??

If a game is not in Croke park Dublin fans don't travel in numbers. From your post it sounds like Mayo fans are unhappy they didn't get a home final.

Syferus

Dubwest, it is, then! It was time for a new nickname for Mayo anyways.

Turlough O Carolan

Jaysus with all the weeping and wailing and gnashing, there won't be a Mayoman with a tooth left by the time ye get to the Hyde. I thought ye had left the whingeing back in 1996. Roscommon and Sligo went to McHale Park in 2010 and there wasn't a word of complaint. You'd swear by some of the posts here that  McHale was near some historic downtown with a wonderful place to gather after the match, when most of us just walk back to our cars parked along with N5 - unless there's some ceol and craic to be found in one of those thatched cottages around Turlough house. At least in Roscommon town, there's always been a tradition of gathering in the historic town center. As for the complaints about the weather in Roscommon, well we can't all be like the sunny hotspots of places like Bohola and Aughamore and Toureen where the chemists can't keep the factor 90 in stock, such is the demand. That said I recall lots of fine Connacht finals in the Hyde - indeed the 1991 replay was a much better day than the first game in Castlebar where Derek Duggan had to kick a 60 yard free into the teeth of a very strong wind. Some corrections about all the money that was ploughed into the Hyde. When the Hyde was designated as the provincial ground in the early 90s, both Mayo and Galway kicked up such a fuss, with scathing articles written in the Western People, that the kibosh was put on this and Ros only got a fraction of the funds that they should have got to make a top class stadium. I'll be the first to admit that the upgrade was uninspiring. While the concreted terrace steps might have been cutting edge in 1993, compared to the grassy embankment we used to stand on, it's clear now that the architectural style owes more to the nearby cattle mart than a modern football stadium. Maybe we thought this would make the Mayo girls feel more at home. Mooo! Ah, just joking lads. No doubt, the old ground will be hopping for the Connacht final and I look forward to two great days in the Hyde. Any thoughts on the game at all?

moysider

Quote from: Turlough O Carolan on July 06, 2012, 01:34:08 AM
Jaysus with all the weeping and wailing and gnashing, there won't be a Mayoman with a tooth left by the time ye get to the Hyde. I thought ye had left the whingeing back in 1996. Roscommon and Sligo went to McHale Park in 2010 and there wasn't a word of complaint. You'd swear by some of the posts here that  McHale was near some historic downtown with a wonderful place to gather after the match, when most of us just walk back to our cars parked along with N5 - unless there's some ceol and craic to be found in one of those thatched cottages around Turlough house. At least in Roscommon town, there's always been a tradition of gathering in the historic town center. As for the complaints about the weather in Roscommon, well we can't all be like the sunny hotspots of places like Bohola and Aughamore and Toureen where the chemists can't keep the factor 90 in stock, such is the demand. That said I recall lots of fine Connacht finals in the Hyde - indeed the 1991 replay was a much better day than the first game in Castlebar where Derek Duggan had to kick a 60 yard free into the teeth of a very strong wind. Some corrections about all the money that was ploughed into the Hyde. When the Hyde was designated as the provincial ground in the early 90s, both Mayo and Galway kicked up such a fuss, with scathing articles written in the Western People, that the kibosh was put on this and Ros only got a fraction of the funds that they should have got to make a top class stadium. I'll be the first to admit that the upgrade was uninspiring. While the concreted terrace steps might have been cutting edge in 1993, compared to the grassy embankment we used to stand on, it's clear now that the architectural style owes more to the nearby cattle mart than a modern football stadium. Maybe we thought this would make the Mayo girls feel more at home. Mooo! Ah, just joking lads. No doubt, the old ground will be hopping for the Connacht final and I look forward to two great days in the Hyde. Any thoughts on the game at all?

None - from me anyway - yet :D.  But I ve said mere than enough already about how mayo are trying to go about their business. My thoughts about the location is purely down to numbers and that the CC needs every cent they can get.

sligoman2

Any news on injuries or who is playing well at club level?
Very quiet on the game front.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

rosnarun

turlough. in case you missed . this thread is about the connacht senior  final .
it has nothing  to do with Roscommon that why we resent having to hang aroung the beautiful Historic city centre which you speak of .

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Turlough O Carolan on July 06, 2012, 01:34:08 AM

Bedad, Turlough, I was rising to it until your last sentence. ;D
As long as the game is played on the pitch and not on the terraces, us Mayo folk won't mind.
"Houl' me back and let me at 'em," could well be our motto.
The Hyde may not be up to much but that's not the fault of Mayo or Sligo. The amount of baaing and bleating that's been going on here about the bloody place would wreck the head of a cabbage. Seems it got the go-ahead in the nick of time so I think many people will be put off by fears of the place being only half-finished.
It's the CC's own fault if the venue isn't up to standard; they never considered the possibility of a Mayo/Sligo final or so it would seem.
As for the game itself, I expect a good hard contest and I think we'll finish in front but not by much.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi