Ulster Bank

Started by TopofthePops, June 22, 2012, 05:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold tea

Took a walk into town, people are claiming that individuals withdrew 50 and 60 grand - be some load if it was all in fivers!

Maguire01

How much money would there be in a full ATM?

Maguire01

Quote from: Cold tea on June 23, 2012, 05:34:57 PM
Took a walk into town, people are claiming that individuals withdrew 50 and 60 grand - be some load if it was all in fivers!
I smell bullshit. If the machines were giving out twice the amount requested, does that mean that people in Armagh have £25-30k sitting in current accounts?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Smokin Joe on June 23, 2012, 05:32:21 PM
Let me get this straight.

All the ATMs in Armagh are cleaned out because it emerged that if you asked to withdraw say £50 you received £100?

Was that just at Ulster Bank ATMs or was it all ATMs, and / or did it only benefit Ulster Bank customers?

And was it only in Armagh?

I understand that this extra cash has now been caught on, but I'm trying to understand the specifics of what was causing it.
All ATMs in Armagh for Ulster Bank customers only. I was in Armagh this morning and had to use Switch as I couldn't get cash at 3 different cash machines owned by 3 different banks. Were reports on Twitter last night that there were machines being cleared out in other towns.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 23, 2012, 05:45:37 PM

All the ATMs in Armagh are cleaned out because it emerged that if you asked to withdraw say £50 you received £100?

Was that just at Ulster Bank ATMs or was it all ATMs, and / or did it only benefit Ulster Bank customers?

I understand that this extra cash has now been caught on, but I'm trying to understand the specifics of what was causing it.
All ATMs in Armagh for Ulster Bank customers only. I was in Armagh this morning and had to use Switch as I couldn't get cash at 3 different cash machines owned by 3 different banks. Were reports on Twitter last night that there were machines being cleared out in other towns.

Cheers Tony.  And the attraction was presumably that they were getting double their money?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 23, 2012, 05:43:22 PM
I smell bullshit. If the machines were giving out twice the amount requested, does that mean that people in Armagh have £25-30k sitting in current accounts?
Would a cash machine even hold £50k?

Cold tea

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 23, 2012, 05:43:22 PM

It wasn't debiting accounts so it is irrelevant how much was in them.

TopofthePops

No what was happening was Ulster Bank customers were going to various ATM's and requesting cash, a friend of a friend entered £1,400 to withdraw and it dispensed the cash straightaway! People were doing this alday continuously!

So yesterday most of Armagh's residents were walking around with sh*tloads of cash, as to what will happen when the transactions update, it remains to be seen.

el_cuervo_fc

It seems the accounts have now been updated, showing the amount that was taken out of each account yesterday.

Apparently people were marshalling the transactions, with each person only allowed a certain amount of withdrawals then the had to go and queue up again. This gave everyone a chance to have a go. Saved rioting I suppose. Very civilised theft

armaghniac

QuoteAll ATMs in Armagh for Ulster Bank customers only.

Other ATMs would not dispense twice the amount asked, nor give unlimited amounts (I imagine). What they would do is give money to people who did not have it in their accounts, because Ulster Bank has lost track of what is in the accounts.

This is a major clusterfornication, a few issues are one thing, but what sort of systems are they running that have this mess? I'd say a few other banks are checking their backups over the weekend.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bridgegael

I heard of one fella who took out ten grand that he didnt have and went to bookies and put it on a black caviar, spain double.

"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: armaghniac on June 23, 2012, 06:07:01 PM

Other ATMs would not dispense twice the amount asked, nor give unlimited amounts (I imagine). What they would do is give money to people who did not have it in their accounts, because Ulster Bank has lost track of what is in the accounts.

This is a major clusterfornication, a few issues are one thing, but what sort of systems are they running that have this mess? I'd say a few other banks are checking their backups over the weekend.

The machines weren't giving out twice the amount. If someone had, say £400 in their account they could request to withdraw that amount. Then the could try again and withdraw the same amount as the previous transaction wasn't updated. This then gave the customer the opportunity to repeat this process for as long as they wished

Tony Baloney

Quote from: bridgegael on June 23, 2012, 06:14:10 PM
I heard of one fella who took out ten grand that he didnt have and went to bookies and put it on a black caviar, spain double.
He better hope Spain wins as they'll be looking it back.

TopofthePops

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 23, 2012, 06:18:13 PM
Quote from: bridgegael on June 23, 2012, 06:14:10 PM
He better hope Spain wins as they'll be looking it back.

Ur right hi, but if Spain do win, he's laughin!! Result

RealSpiritof98

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on June 23, 2012, 06:16:12 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 23, 2012, 06:07:01 PM

This is the right story, but there has been large exaggerated rumors floating about the town, what I seen was a queue of 15-20 people at a machine with approx 15-20 of them being east-european, it was funny as the just went to the back of the queue when finished.

The machines weren't giving out twice the amount. If someone had, say £400 in their account they could request to withdraw that amount. Then the could try again and withdraw the same amount as the previous transaction wasn't updated. This then gave the customer the opportunity to repeat this process for as long as they wished