Ulster Bank

Started by TopofthePops, June 22, 2012, 05:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

QuoteI have heard a few people who are going to ATM and taking out as much as they can and also going to branch and with drawing as much as allowed. If a lot of people do this the bank is only going one way.

Taking money from ATMs is relatively small beer.
Ulster is ultimately owned by the British government, they will just print more money and put more back in. The whole ATM thing could be a form of quantitative easing for the Armagh area!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

maggie

Except when your wages haven't cleared so you can't get any money out of an ATM.
Have a wedding on fri as well so hope the Bride and Groom don't mind getting an Ulster bank cheque as their pressie......

deiseach

Quote from: armaghniac on July 04, 2012, 12:58:49 PM
Taking money from ATMs is relatively small beer.
Ulster is ultimately owned by the British government, they will just print more money and put more back in. The whole ATM thing could be a form of quantitative easing for the Armagh area!

I can see the next step in Troubles revisionism right there

Billys Boots

Uh oh, now you're for it deiseach!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

LeoMc

Quote from: deiseach on July 04, 2012, 12:41:59 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on July 04, 2012, 11:00:34 AM
I would guess anyone who can get any money out will be taking it. The bank will fold.

I don't think it's that simple. I have free banking with Ulster, something I wouldn't get with AIB or BoI, and the ability to take sterling out for no extra charge in Britain at NatWest/RBS machines is very handy. In the end, I'll probably do nothing because doing something will make me worse off :-\

I have free banking wih BoI, I assume they charge in the 26 ???

deiseach

Quote from: LeoMc on July 04, 2012, 02:09:25 PM
I have free banking wih BoI, I assume they charge in the 26 ???

It was my understanding that they're not free down here. I'll check them out a bit more.

Orior

I went to close my son's Henry the Hippo accounts but I had lost their books, and the Ulster Bank kept their money. Feckers.

So who provides IT support to Ulster Bank/RBS? Is it Indian?

I agree that even with batch update systems, there should be checks and balances the whole way through. In the event of failure there would roll-back or backups to restore from.

Not being able to get a database back to a point in time is really a school boy error.

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Tony Baloney

Do these gaffs not backup daily? Our work does an incremental backup every day and a full backup weekly.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 07, 2012, 11:13:48 PM
Do these gaffs not backup daily? Our work does an incremental backup every day and a full backup weekly.

Regardless of the backup strategy (full, incremental, etc.), there should always be logs for the database (which are effectively a continuous backup), though this sounds like it's more of a systems fcuk-up, not database-oriented.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Dinny Breen

QuoteNot being able to get a database back to a point in time is really a school boy error.

I'm sure they could the database back in time, it's the transactions that occurred post corruption they would then lose, it was probably a business decision to plough ahead and resolve rather than roll back.

From a technical perspective if the data blocks had become corrupt was it data, software of hardware, a disk failure, disk controller failure, SAN, an O/S bug, a software bug . They probably had a physical standby in place but if the corruption wasn't spotted in time, it probably passed over deeming the standby useless.

Their maximum availability solution has obviously failed but the Banks are notorious for running old versions of software and hardware so nobody I know was surprised this could happen to a bank
#newbridgeornowhere

Onion Bag

Any Ulsterbank customers here?

is everyone back up to date, i got paid on 20th of june and it still has not registered on my account,

ive just been tearing away with my cash card and my Standing orders have been paid but my account still says a big fat £0

wasnt really bothered at the start but am getting really pissed off with the whole thing now  >:(
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Aristo 60

Yes all up to date Onion, just have to get the late payment fee and interest back on the credit card (couldn't get it paid on line).

When rang to get refunded automated voice said they would be doing this so I didn't hang around to enquire further

screenexile

Saw a few people on Facebook throughout the day "Ok so after ulster bank taking 3 wk & 5days to get my pay showing in my account they have now charged me twice totalling £35 which they have withdrawing from the account! Good luck to the till operator tomorrow when I go in to see her!!"

Really? Are people that thick that they've not been listening when they've said they will refund all charges incurred?! Why start getting angry about it now?

thebigfella

Quote from: screenexile on July 16, 2012, 05:21:31 PM
Saw a few people on Facebook throughout the day "Ok so after ulster bank taking 3 wk & 5days to get my pay showing in my account they have now charged me twice totalling £35 which they have withdrawing from the account! Good luck to the till operator tomorrow when I go in to see her!!"

Really? Are people that thick that they've not been listening when they've said they will refund all charges incurred?! Why start getting angry about it now?

Yep. Usually these people like the sound of their own voices too.

The Gs Man

But what if they really needed the £35 and they can't get it cos the bank took it? Even if you were guaranteed it back at a later stage.
Keep 'er lit