Roscommon v Armagh AI Round 1 Quailifer

Started by Syferus, June 18, 2012, 02:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bensars

Not a real suprise.  Expectations in Armagh are way above reality.  With the news in the week that Mc Gurn is on his way, POR now to follow.

No doubt Mc Geeney is also about to recieve his P45 probably within a month to six weeks ,  its time for prodigal son to return home.

For a county to have such a succeessful and legendary club side, the county results have been nothing short of shocking

armaghniac

Oisin on RTE shortly.

Roscommon were the better team. But they are not a top team and Armagh should have put them away from being 5 points up. That was a dissprited performance.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

orangeman

Quote from: Bensars on July 01, 2012, 06:06:34 PM
Not a real suprise.  Expectations in Armagh are way above reality.  With the news in the week that Mc Gurn is on his way, POR now to follow.

No doubt Mc Geeney is also about to recieve his P45 probably within a month to six weeks ,  its time for prodigal son to return home. For a county to have such a succeessful and legendary club side, the county results have been nothing short of shocking

What about Big Joe coming back ?

regal

Quote from: orangeman on July 01, 2012, 06:09:21 PM
Quote from: Bensars on July 01, 2012, 06:06:34 PM

No doubt Mc Geeney is also about to recieve his P45 probably within a month to six weeks ,  its time for prodigal son to return home. For a county to have such a succeessful and legendary club side, the county results have been nothing short of shocking

What about Big Joe coming back ?

I know our midfield is pathethic but Big Joe is no option

winsamsoon

If they would select the footballers in Armagh rather than the 6ft man mountains who couldn't run a bath then the future will look brighter. Until the selections teams, regardless of mananger ditch this tactic, results like this are no surprise at all. Good luck to Roscommon in the next phase.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

regal

Can anyone list the armagh team which played & player ratings if possible

fitzroyalty

Quote from: winsamsoon on July 01, 2012, 06:34:37 PM
If they would select the footballers in Armagh rather than the 6ft man mountains who couldn't run a bath then the future will look brighter. Until the selections teams, regardless of mananger ditch this tactic, results like this are no surprise at all. Good luck to Roscommon in the next phase.
Couldn't agree more. There's players on the panel that aren't even the best players for their clubs!  :o

Captain Obvious

When the draw was made i thought it was only a matter of how much Armagh would win by however after having a good lead at half time maybe some of the players thought the game was won? Roscommon came out with passion,determination in the second half that the men of the orchard county couldn't match fair play to them a deserve win.

In reply to Oisín McConville... in 2008 a better Armagh side lost to Wexford i thought that result was worse than today.

JP

The management has to go.

Toner
Hanratty
Lavery
Vernon
Mackin

5 midfielders all at the pitch at once and they could barely win a ball in midfield. How John Kingham gets a game for his club never mind Armagh is beyond me. At one stage we were left with only one capable scorer (Jamie) on the pitch until Tony Kernan came on. The most disappointing aspect was the lack of fight within the Armagh team. Not sure if they really cared all that much to be honest.

naka

For what it's worth, we are rudderless ,
POR has to step down and we need to re- evaluate what way
We play.
I would like Tony mc entee in charge.
This was a poor year for the orchard, relegation and once round knock out.

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on July 01, 2012, 06:06:51 PM
Oisin on RTE shortly.

Roscommon were the better team. But they are not a top team and Armagh should have put them away from being 5 points up. That was a dissprited performance.
Ros are Division 3
But they have balls when they get into the mood

BennyCake

Get real. Tony McEntee isn't going to leave the best club side in Ireland, going for 3 in a row, to take over a shambolic county team.

ross4life

We showed today how much we have progressed from the 2008 Armagh league hammering & showed today that the Galway game was a total non show for us. Well done to players for restoring pride in the jersey! some performance in that 2nd half our opponents couldn't match our heart, commitment & desire to win. Great to be in Hyde,Tuam the last two nights as the 2012 GAA tag lines says nothing Beats Being there  :)

Hopefully we get a decent draw in 2 round now but we don't seem to have much luck in draws.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

orangeman

To be fair and to bring some balance, Armagh in the Athletic grounds were far from gutless or clueless.

They could have beaten Tyrone that day.

Today was a bad day out.

But Roscommon are no bad team.

People said Meath were dire up until today but they pulled out a performance. They might be dire the next day.

That's football.

Syferus

Quote from: armaghniac on July 01, 2012, 06:06:51 PM
Oisin on RTE shortly.

This would be what I'd highlight as one of Armagh's key problems, the wrongly-founded idea that you're anything more than a (maybe) top eight team in the country, or that that fact bestows anything particularly exceptional. Now the game is over I'll be blunt for the purpose of maybe giving a bit of perspective on what transpired at the Hyde today: it's been many years since I looked at Armagh with anything approaching trepidation, they seemed to me for quite a while to be an over-rated team (inside and out-side the county) and one of the 'bigs' that would be most easily knocked off. If this weekend has taught us anything it's that there's very, very little between the teams in the 1-10 (Kildare, Armagh, Dublin, Derry) range and the ones in the 11-16 Meath, Roscommon, Wexford, Longford), there simply should be none of the 'we're better than these guys' attitude on the 'top' side of such match-ups.

Armagh played like Jamie Clarke and the Fourteen Seasons today. Clarke is a player of exceptional talent, perhaps only bettered by Gooch as a full-forward, but you need to build a team around him, not one reliant on him. We have our own hugely successful club team but that's no silver bullet at senior level. The problems don't lie with Paddy O'Rourke or the county board alone; the players have to accept the fact they were simply not good enough on far too many occasions in the last twelve months.

Ye had fantastic, wonderful support at the Hyde today and that passion is as good a foundations as any county could have to build, but lowering the bar and resetting expectations may be the best course of action, we had to fall very far before we started to really improve and develop into something more than roadkill. Good luck, and I mean that sincerely.