Roscommon v Armagh AI Round 1 Quailifer

Started by Syferus, June 18, 2012, 02:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross matt

Syferus I dont think any Ross supporters here are playing poor mouth. More stating it as it is... ie on current chamionship form Armagh are miles ahead of us. If there is any pride or drive left amongst the players they will be better than they were against Galway but its difficult to see us beating them. I would think Armagh would still have ambitions to do well in the championship whilst (judging by players leaving the panel to hit the states during season) our lads have written off this year. Unless there is a dramatic improvement in performance from the last day this manager should also be written off. The collapse in standards is unacceptable.

naka

Ross who has left the panel to go to the states?

borderfox

Its Roscommons to lose. A home draw for the 2010 Connacht champions allied to some impressive recent underage campaigns should see these hardy Connacht challenging perennials home at the Hyde. Rossies by six.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Rossfan

Quote from: naka on June 18, 2012, 10:16:24 PM

O'Gara and Keenan at least.
Also the Higgins brothers and Devaney have left the panel .... not sure if they are travelling or just pissed off with the set up.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Orior

If Armagh cant beat Roscommon then we're better out of the qualifiers.

Armagh by 5 points.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

ross4life

Quote from: Rossfan on June 18, 2012, 11:14:41 PM

Also the Higgins brothers and Devaney have left the panel .... not sure if they are travelling or just pissed off with the set up.

Two of our best U-21 defenders Paddy Brogan,Cafferkey are also gone to the states. With all these players out it should mean first senior championship starts or debuts for Donal Smith,Cathal Shine,Colin Compton,Brian Murtagh,Neil Collins,Niall Kilroy & Niall Daly all products of the 07-11 youth set up.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

All are travelling, at least the ones who are seriously considered for championship 26 places. Michael Higgins was, with all due respect, never going to feature and for alot of counties have players in the boil like that dropping out mid-season, look no further than Seamie O'Neil last year.

It's very silly for someone who's a genuine supporter to be actively spreading hearsay about their own county.

And in all fairness our meeting in 2008 was the year of the abyss, if we'd played Kilkenny in that league campaign they have given us a run for our money, such was unrelenting train-wreck that the season even by the time the league had reached its infancy.

ross4life

In all fairness our meeting in 2008 was the year of the abyss, if we'd played Kilkenny in that league campaign they have given us a run for our money, such was unrelenting train-wreck that the season even by the time the league had reached its infancy.
We drew with Meath & got within a few points of Cork. It went pear shaped after the opening games clearly all was not well behind the scenes by the time Westmeath hammered us at home it was time for Maughan to go.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on June 18, 2012, 11:53:59 PM

Two of our best U-21 defenders Paddy Brogan,Cafferkey are also gone to the states. With all these players out it should mean first senior championship starts or debuts for Donal Smith,Cathal Shine,Colin Compton,Brian Murtagh,Neil Collins,Niall Kilroy & Niall Daly all products of the 07-11 youth set up.

Christ ross4life that s not looking good. I remember posting system failure about Ros in first half v Galway and it is begining to look like meltdown right now. I know that Syferus will come out to bat but this is ridiculous. Don t tell me these lads would have 'gone travelling' if ye had beaten Galway? 

ross4life

Quote from: moysider on June 19, 2012, 12:20:24 AM
Quote from: ross4life on June 18, 2012, 11:53:59 PM

Christ ross4life that s not looking good. I remember posting system failure about Ros in first half v Galway and it is begining to look like meltdown right now. I know that Syferus will come out to bat but this is ridiculous. Don t tell me these lads would have 'gone travelling' if ye had beaten Galway?

A number of them had travel plans before the Galway game for example one of the reasons why David O'Gara didn't start. The setup of our club championship (no match until mid August) gave these players the opportunity to leave & earn some extra cash in the states.

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on June 19, 2012, 12:11:22 AM
In all fairness our meeting in 2008 was the year of the abyss, if we'd played Kilkenny in that league campaign they have given us a run for our money, such was unrelenting train-wreck that the season even by the time the league had reached its infancy.
We drew with Meath & got within a few points of Cork. It went pear shaped after the opening games by the time Westmeath hammered us at home it was time for Maughan to go.

So what s the problem this time? Because whatever Syferus might say there is a meltdown. There was a system failure in Galway match ( i used that phrase on here after 20 mins) and that did not happen for nothing. Roscommon have been in turmoil for 8 years or so ( McGee and his pin-up boys article put the kibosh on ye). And matters won t improve as long as ye take reassurance from underage success and a strike against the head to win Connacht in 2010.

ross4life

Quote from: moysider on June 19, 2012, 12:43:10 AM
Quote from: ross4life on June 19, 2012, 12:11:22 AM
We drew with Meath & got within a few points of Cork. It went pear shaped after the opening games by the time Westmeath hammered us at home it was time for Maughan to go.

So what s the problem this time? Because whatever Syferus might say there is a meltdown. There was a system failure in Galway match ( i used that phrase on here after 20 mins) and that did not happen for nothing. Roscommon have been in turmoil for 8 years or so ( McGee and his pin-up boys article put the kibosh on ye). And matters won t improve as long as ye take reassurance from underage success and a strike against the head to win Connacht in 2010.

To quote Fergal O'Donnell after we beat Leitrim by 12 points last June

"It's going to be a long process for Roscommon i always said it's going to take 3/4 years before this team reaches it's peak and i think there will be peaks and valleys along the way. We got to be careful Mayo,Galway have given us drummings in the past, we have to be competitive before we reach the next level."

Nothing has changed really we are still a years from our peak, we weren't careful & allowed another drumming. Time to move on & try to be competitive v Armagh.

Syferus

It's cute that a Mayo supporter is in such a rush to declare us to be in meltdown, completely un-biased analysis and not attempting to poke the bear or anything, right? Right?

One loss doesn't make a meltdown. What's lost in your drama is that this was the last opportunity for most of the 2006 minors to avail of J1s and the insane gap in the club championship allowed them ample opportunity to plan a trip. Alot of the u21 panel are gone over to the States this summer (almost all of whom weren't involved with senior panel this year) as well so to characterise it as a F.U. to management is stretching the shower cap a bit thin.

Des Newton will have to reassess and be reassessed when the season is over but to say the die is cast after one championship game is at the heart of the reason most Connacht teams (and all but the very best footballing counties) have struggled to maintain success: they're too quick to give up.

We've got a home game against a good side and every reason to expect that the passion and drive that was missing against Galway will resurface - we rarely disgrace ourselves against out-of-province opposition in the championship (much less at home) and I don't expect any less than a good performance against Armagh.

moysider

It s one thing to have travel plans and have a J1 set up but it s a different thing when lads go ahead and use then in these circumstances. Do you think that they would have gone if the team was going well?

Hey, anyway I m just probably bored and passing time here. We ll have plenty to contend with ourselves. Not poking any bear or anything.