Roscommon v Armagh AI Round 1 Quailifer

Started by Syferus, June 18, 2012, 02:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

"Armagh out..... POR resigned...... Surely more will be following him. Best players in county not on panel. Agree with Oisin...... Anti-Cross mentality"

As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Syferus

Maybe ye need to coax Geezer back.. as a player, that is :-X

applemad

Firstly well done  to Roscommon. I predicted this during the week. Why were people so quick to write their obituary. This Roscommon team have reached the last two Connaught finals winning one and possibly should have won the other but for the conditions.

They reached the u-21 all-Ireland final and were only beaten in the last ten minutes. Minor titles as well beat Armagh in Croke pk last year in extra time. Yes they had a terrible day against Galway but that was not a true reflection. Armagh fell for it hook line and after a nonplussed first half ,sinker. Roscommon with a wind advantage reeled us in .After the goal went in at the start of the second half I knew that it was curtains.
Armagh were coming from a high place after their performance against Tyrone .Roscommon from and equally low one . They couldnt be much worse than that. We were set up lovely. The qualifiers is all about mental strength,raising ur game etc. Roscommon blasted us in those stakes. Fair play to them .no complaints on that front and truth be told could have won by far more.

The players looked clueless when the shit hit the fan and so to the manager(s). Seanen Kilbride gave Brendy a torrid time. The changes were not made.

Armagh football has a lot of soul searching to do . At least three Cross players refused to take their place in the squad. One, if I am right, had to be persuaded to join the panel after Cross's All-Ireland success.
Due to their success Armagh has only had their squad together for six to eight weeks before championship.
This is not Cross's fault good luck to them but there are problems obviously between part of the management team and certain Cross players .
Any manager coming in will face this problem as well if Cross continue to be as successful .
Tony mac will not leave Cross as they search for that historic three in a row and who could blame him. Its all up in the air.

Just a side note here . Hyde Pk has a very run down look about it. The concrete seats in front of the main stand, broken glass in the stand all around where I was sitting  Farmyard gates at the side of the field. Needs a few pound spent on it badly. Anyway good luck Roscommon in your next round.

ross4life

Quote from: applemad on July 02, 2012, 06:47:24 PM
Just a side note here . Hyde Pk has a very run down look about it. The concrete seats in front of the main stand, broken glass in the stand all around where I was sitting  Farmyard gates at the side of the field. Needs a few pound spent on it badly. Anyway good luck Roscommon in your next round.
It's the most run down pitch in Connacht now when once it was one of the best. Nothing apart from a new dressing room has been done on the place since the mid 90s & we still have huge debts to clear before the place gets a makeover.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

armaghniac

QuoteRoscommon with a wind advantage reeled us in .After the goal went in at the start of the second half I knew that it was curtains. Armagh were coming from a high place after their performance against Tyrone .Roscommon from and equally low one . They couldn't be much worse than that. We were set up lovely.

The wind wasn't strong and wasn't a major factor in this game. Attitude was wrong to be sure, but the Roscommon gaol was 33 mins before the end of the game, plenty of time to battle it out if the will was there.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on July 02, 2012, 07:01:23 PM
Quote from: applemad on July 02, 2012, 06:47:24 PM
It's the most run down pitch in Connacht now when once it was one of the best. Nothing apart from a new dressing room has been done on the place since the mid 90s & we still have huge debts to clear before the place gets a makeover.

Jaysus you must have already hit the champagne before you went to Tuam on Saturday!

A huge part of the problem is that the only way the planners could figure out how to construct the (physically speaking, well built) new stand and stay over the Connacht final hosting capacity was to keep the sideline seating and build it behind it. The difference between it and, say, the new stand in Tullamore is night and day, the fans are nearer the action and the atmosphere is better. The terrace side is fine, even if the facade on the outside and the rather twee little bus-stop shelter cover seem to tell otherwise, it just gives that vibe of old and gray, a little creative remodelling would change that perspective very fast. The whole club-house and front entrance looks like it's something from a parish club in the 1970's, it doesn't make a good first impression and that colours patrons' opinions.

'Tis our run-down pitch, though. I'd settle for an old ground and a good team any day - apart from remedial work to restore it to full capacity we need to be putting as much money as possible into the under-age set-up, we've got something fantastic going and we really need to drive it to the bank in a literal sense.

applemad

Quote from: armaghniac on July 02, 2012, 07:04:03 PM
QuoteRoscommon with a wind advantage reeled us in .After the goal went in at the start of the second half I knew that it was curtains. Armagh were coming from a high place after their performance against Tyrone .Roscommon from and equally low one . They couldn't be much worse than that. We were set up lovely.

The wind wasn't strong and wasn't a major factor in this game. Attitude was wrong to be sure, but the Roscommon gaol was 33 mins before the end of the game, plenty of time to battle it out if the will was there.

I have to say Armaghniac I was behind the goal at the scoreboard end and it did get up quite a bit .  Dont dispute your attitude point though. The goal was crucial . I know there was quite a bit of time left but you could see the heads drop. Kilbride was threatening and that goal lifted Roscommon greatly.

Cosmo Kramer

Syferus, you must be still on the sauce after yesterday. Surely even the most ardent Rossie follower would accept that the place is a f**king shithole?
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Syferus

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on July 02, 2012, 09:41:42 PM
Syferus, you must be still on the sauce after yesterday. Surely even the most ardent Rossie follower would accept that the place is a f**king shithole?

The Hyde or the Mayo nationalists' zone of control in Ballagh?  :-X

The Hyde has plenty of problems but improving what I said is much more likely in the medium term than a literal stadium remodeling job, there simply isn't enough money and we have enough debt already to deal with.

TacadoirArdMhacha

As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

sligoman2

Congrats to Roscommon a good win for both teams, its amazing what a win can do to lift the spirits.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

ross4life

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on July 02, 2012, 09:41:42 PM

All the other IC stadiums in Connacht have been refurbished the last number of years if Hyde park was such "shithole"it wouldn't have been selected for this year's Connacht final so less of sensationalism.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

T Fearon

Enjoy going to Hyde Park,and was recognised yesterday by the steward at the turnstile even! What a contrast to the visit in 2003 when a full house,mainly of Armagh fans,watched us destroy Limerick in a downpour enroute to the All Iteland Final.Yesterday the crowd was just over 3000.

Also if Tony Mc Entee isn't available,why not go for John.No one can tell them apart anyway,and the players and opposition would think,if it looks like Tony,and acts like Tony,it must be Tony!

Syferus

"It's a low ebb as far as Armagh football is concerned"

"Roscommon were disjointed. They've lost players. The word going down was that they weren't the team they were two years ago that we saw in Croke Park against Tyrone."

Jesus M. Christ this Osin lad most have took a few too many knocks on the head! Cross would want to tone down the training if this is the state they're leaving them in.  :'(

I get he's upset his county lost but his level of knowledge of the situation, even on the most basic level, is severely lacking. It's almost maddening, honestly. At least Armagh are offering to write the pre-match speech for the Tyrone game for us.

If we hit form (which we didn't at all yesterday in terms of shooting) we have the capacity to be alot better than we were last year or the year before, and that's with a bunch of absentees and first season starters. I have absolute belief that our panel's ceiling lays significantly north of beating Armagh at home in Round 1 of the qualifiers. Maybe the loss will look better for Osin with the hindsight of a few more years.

Armamike

Oisin's only stating the obvious.  For Armagh to go out and perform the way they did, with no spirit and fight and pretty clueless, against an average (and i'm being generous with my wording) Roscommon outfit then it's a fairly low ebb.
Enjoy the win and i hope you have a good run in the qualifiers - doubt it though.
That's just, like your opinion man.