Roscommon v Armagh AI Round 1 Quailifer

Started by Syferus, June 18, 2012, 02:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: theticklemister on July 01, 2012, 11:55:22 PM
I say ye have writers cramp after that one!

And I haven't even got to our minors yesterday! It was such a wonderful weekend, 150 minutes of nerve-shredding football and two wins. They may not be classics for neutrals but this weekend will live long in the memory of all those who went to Tuam and the Hyde.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on July 02, 2012, 12:00:38 AM

And I haven't even got to our minors yesterday! It was such a wonderful weekend, 150 minutes of nerv-shredding football and two wins. They may not be classics for neutrals but this weekend will live long in the memory of all those who went to Tuam and the Hyde.

As they say to (Really) appreciate the highs, you often have to experience the lows! Welcome back to higher ground.

theticklemister

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 02, 2012, 12:06:14 AM
Quote from: Syferus on July 02, 2012, 12:00:38 AM

And I haven't even got to our minors yesterday! It was such a wonderful weekend, 150 minutes of nerv-shredding football and two wins. They may not be classics for neutrals but this weekend will live long in the memory of all those who went to Tuam and the Hyde.

As they say to (Really) appreciate the highs, you often have to experience the lows! Welcome back to higher ground.

As a Derry man............point me in the right direction!

Farrandeelin

Fair play to Roscommon. I honestly didn't think they would come within 5 points of Armagh. They must have put in some second half. Maybe Roscommon could indeed go on an extended run in the backdoor. Who do Rossies want next time out?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

get up there

grimley never has never done any lasting good in any of the county's he has been with, sure he was with armagh in 02, but he fell out with Joe kernan for taking his son stephen kernan into the squad. which caused unrest. The cold truth is that since 08 armagh have been on the slip. facts don't lie

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 02, 2012, 12:14:02 AM
Fair play to Roscommon. I honestly didn't think they would come within 5 points of Armagh. They must have put in some second half. Maybe Roscommon could indeed go on an extended run in the backdoor. Who do Rossies want next time out?

GalwayGalwayGalwayGalwayGalwayGalwayGalwayGalwayGalwayGalwayGalwayGalwayGalwayGalway
GalwayGalwayGalwayGalwayGalwayGalwayGalwayGalwayGalwayGalwayGalwayGalwayGalwayGalway

And maybe Kerry if we get sauced enough tonight.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on July 02, 2012, 12:27:18 AM

;D ;D ;D
I think I know the feeling alright. God knows we have been in that situation many times ourselves.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 02, 2012, 12:55:38 AM
Quote from: Syferus on July 02, 2012, 12:27:18 AM

;D ;D ;D
I think I know the feeling alright. God knows we have been in that situation many times ourselves.

And seeing as we're in a good mood, if we get a home draw we'll score a few quick goals and end the game early so we don't tear up the field on ye too much  ;)

mackers

The one thing that should be associated with Armagh football is a bit of heart and pride in the jersey.  The performance yesterday is right up there with Derry last year and Monaghan the year before.  We were wiped out once the intensity levels were increased by Roscommon after their goal went in.  Somebody in an orange shirt should have grabbed control of the middle third and ensured that the capitulation didn't start.  Nobody stood up.  Jamie Clarke became a spectator along with the rest of us.
I want to ask a question.  Before I do I want to state that the referee was in no way responsible for our loss and that Roscommon were full value for the win, but what was the free given against Jamie Clarke for in the second half? He caught the ball, had turned his marker and was running away from him when Deegan blew the whistle for a free against Him.  Anybody see what the free was for or was it just a bad decision?
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Syferus

Quote from: mackers on July 02, 2012, 11:39:52 AM
The one thing that should be associated with Armagh football is a bit of heart and pride in the jersey.  The performance yesterday is right up there with Derry last year and Monaghan the year before.  We were wiped out once the intensity levels were increased by Roscommon after their goal went in.  Somebody in an orange shirt should have grabbed control of the middle third and ensured that the capitulation didn't start.  Nobody stood up.  Jamie Clarke became a spectator along with the rest of us.
I want to ask a question.  Before I do I want to state that the referee was in no way responsible for our loss and that Roscommon were full value for the win, but what was the free given against Jamie Clarke for in the second half? He caught the ball, had turned his marker and was running away from him when Deegan blew the whistle for a free against Him.  Anybody see what the free was for or was it just a bad decision?

I'd imagine it was either pushing Purcell or holding his arm. Clarke would have been very disheartened by that point (he'd ended up causing a huge brawl by MMAing Purcell on the ground by that point) so I don't doubt he fouled.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: mackers on July 02, 2012, 11:39:52 AM

From my own vantage point, I thought it was an utterly incomprehensible decision but as you point out, it wasn't the referee that beat Armagh.

Firstly congratulations to Roscommon, after a first half that was fairly lifeless bar a virtuoso display from Jamie Clarke, they rose to the challenge, playing with bravery, valour and no little skill and were worthy winners. A huge turn-up for the books in the sense that none of the natives I spoke to in Roscommon on Saturday night or Sunday expected anything other than a comfortable Armagh victory but Roscommon's win was well deserved. Really enjoyed my night in Roscommon town as well, people very welcoming and a couple of good pubs.

As for Armagh, I don't really know what to say. Pathetic. Gutless. Mediocre. Shambolic. Yesterday's performance was one that made you wonder why you bother travelling the length and breadth of the country, spending a decent proportion of your disposable income following a side that, during yesterday's second half, gave a decent impression of a team that was simply indifferent about its fate. We managed to squander what seemed like a comfortable 5 point half-time lead against a side that was trounced by Galway, finished 4th in Division 3, played Division 4 football last season and, before yesterday, have only beaten London, Leitrim, New York and Sligo in three seasons of championship football.

I'd agree entirely that the problems run deeper than Paddy O'Rourke but nothing was likely to improve until last night's news that he has left his post. Three years of Armagh's development have been frittered away. I don't agree that expectations are too high. Most sensible and genuine Armagh supporters are realistic enough as to where we are in the pecking order but I think its reasonable to expect that in the past 4 seasons, Armagh should at least once have been able to make the last 12 of the championship. Some decent players have had the peak years of their careers wasted by mismanagement.

In 2010, we trounced Donegal twice and would have eliminated Dublin had Brian Mallon goaled after rounding Stephen Cluxton. Now look where we are in comparison to those counties. Donegal is the blueprint, the proof that teams can be transformed under an organised management structure where the players respect the manager and are willing to "buy-in" to what he is proposing.

Crossmaglen are undoubtedly an issue. I thought Aaron Cunningham's comments last night were pathetic but I do have sympathy for their players in the sense that it must be a wretch to leave a respected and successful set-up with a chance of achieving glory to join an undoubtedly second-rate shambles at county level. The structure of the club season doesn't help in that Crossmaglen's players were not available for 9 of Armagh's 12 matches this season. That left management in a difficult position whereby players like James Morgan, Hanratty, Cunningham, Tony Kernan etc could only be introduced in very important matches (relegation "play-off", Ulster championship v Tyrone or an away qualifier). What we need is to the ability to analyse these players in the McKenna Cup and National League to ascertain whether they have credentials needed to make a significant contribution at county level (and I don't accept that doing at club level, even the highest club level, is evidence of that on its own).

Crucial decisions need to be made to advance the future of Armagh football. Three years ago, we appointed a failed manager from another county. We need to do better this time.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Throw ball

Has taken me to now to calm down to comment on the match. Armagh were absolutely useless in the second half but the performance of Clarke in the first probably hid failings then too. Must say it did not look good when management team seemed to be in complete disagreement as to what subs to make. Only Kernan of the subs made any impact. It is along way to go to see such rubbish.

Mackers I will agree with you on the Clarke free. Still have no idea why. Also wondered about free given against Hanratty for diving. Firstly, I thought he was tripped. Secondly if he did dive it was very silly as he had a clear run in front of him. Finally, do you get a free given against you for diving? If so we should see many of these frees in the rest of the summer!

Onion Bag

Im the same Throw ball, can only comment calmly now on the game. Seriously seriously seriously disappointed.
Jamie Clarke, Gavin Mc Parland and Caolan Rafferty were wining 95-96% of the ball going into them in the 1st half and it was working and we were getting scores. and then the 2nd half we decided to go on solo runs into cul de sacs and blind alleys and loss posession.
our passing was shite, our workrate just went down and generally our side line were scrathing their heads wondering wtf was going on,
As someone as pointed out at one stage we had 5 midfielders on the field, too many guys had a bad at the office in defence. Roscommon dropped a man or 2 extra back in their defence and we had no idea as to get round that.
we scored 2 frees in the 2nd half, which in my honest opinion is not good enough,

fair play to Roscommon a great spirited 2nd half performance and if they can hold that intensity and passion for 70 mins they will give Tyrone their fill of it

what now? i honestly dont know,  i hope to god the county board sit down and try their damnest to get someone good in, and if they have to get the cheque book out well then so be it,
Tony mc entee is a no go i beleive,

Anyone thought of John Mc Entee, He won the Intermediate with Culloville in his first year and i would assume he would have the same mentality and ideas as Tony

John Mac and Possibly Aidan O Rourke??????

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Applesisapples

I suspect the problem for anyone undertaking this job is the influence of the County Board on the management of the team. They are unlikely to give anyone a free rein and despite what others say on here at least half the County has an issue with Cross, but as I keep saying Cross also need to make an effort. We need a new setup a system of playing that is coached from development squads upwards and a united county.

Onion Bag

Sorry lads, couldnt be bothered trailing through pages of this but what has Aaron Cunningham said on twitter that everyone is talking about??
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!