Point from Handpass

Started by criostlinn, June 18, 2012, 12:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

criostlinn

Was watching Sunday game tonight and one of kildares points was scored from a hand pass, Kavanagh was through on goal and he had another man inside him. Between the two of them you would imagine it was a sure goal. Kavanagh fists it over the bar and the commentator says it was the right thing to do. How the f..k was it the right thing to do. It was a definite 3 points and he only got one.

This seems to be always be the case when a forward is one on one with the keeper and he fists it over the bar. "It was the right thing to do". For me its the handy way out and it is only encouraged by all these idiots that say is the right thing. Why not say the player has just missed two handy points which is really what happened.

Anyway since the game is called football what is the reason that a hand passed point is allowed. Why did it not go the way of the hand passed goal and is it now time it did

Zulu

I agree 100%. I have no real issue with hand passing in general play but the handpass score is an abomination IMO as if reduces skill levels, goal attempts and the majority are illegal.

nrico2006

You are right.  Sean Cavanagh is a while man for it, the number of times you would see him coming in from a slight angle and fisting it over the bar from 7/8 yards out is unreal when a good welly would more than likely raise the green flag.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

thewobbler

Perversely, if your remove the option for fisting a point, it actually makes it more difficult to score goals, as the keeper and defenders have one less things to worry about from an attack.

Rossfan

Quote from: Zulu on June 18, 2012, 09:11:52 AM
the handpass score is an abomination IMO as if reduces skill levels, goal attempts and the majority are illegal.

Agree with you  .
Very few are fisted which is the only legal way.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hound

I like the rule.

Gives the attacker another option, which is good. Sometimes it is the right decision to take the point, if you've a narrow angle or lots of bodies in the way. Other times the forward bottles it, but that's his option.

Of course, illegal handpasses should be penalised.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: thewobbler on June 18, 2012, 11:18:26 AM
Perversely, if your remove the option for fisting a point, it actually makes it more difficult to score goals, as the keeper and defenders have one less things to worry about from an attack.

I would agree with that.
I think a forward bearing down on goal will keep the defenders guessing until the second he fists the ball. In other words, the chance of a goal is there until he opts for a fisted point.
If he knew he had to use the boot, the defenders would also know this and could concentrate on trying to block his kick.
Nine times out of ten, he would have no realistic option but to go for a point before the goalie or the backs converged on him.
Granted, the majority of handpass points appear to be illegal but that's another matter.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

orangeman

Usual old story - if you take a point from a fisted effort people say a goal was on and you should have taken a goal.

If you go for a goal and miss, you should have taken a simple fisted point.

Can't win.

rosnarun

in dublin's win over louth the umpire clearly indicated that one of Macmanamons points was an open hand hand pass but the referee Eddie kinsella  just ignored it .
would have had no effect on outcome but very fustrating to watch , why have 2 umpire at each goal if they are just gonna be ignored or does this only happen when louth play
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Jinxy

Quote from: orangeman on June 18, 2012, 01:48:22 PM
Usual old story - if you take a point from a fisted effort people say a goal was on and you should have taken a goal.

If you go for a goal and miss, you should have taken a simple fisted point.

Can't win.

Yeah you can.
Make it illegal to score a fisted point from your hand.
Take away the option altogether.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

CorkMan

From a forwards point of view, if the backs have worked really hard to get back, cover you and stop you from getting a goal and you fist it over the bar, it must be very demoralizing for them.

Maguire01

I don't see the issue. If a forward is coming in at a tight angle and the keeper is in the right place, they can't see very much of the goal. Depending on what stage of the match it is, what the score is, what team has the momentum etc, a fisted point can most definitely be the correct option.

magpie seanie

Why allow a fisted point but not a fisted goal?

ck

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 18, 2012, 05:16:49 PM

...because Kerry perfected the fisted goal in the 70's so they took it away. I think they should bring it back and award one on one scenarios!

Jinxy

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 18, 2012, 05:16:49 PM

Because the fisted goal was the stupidest rule in the history of world sport.
If you were any use you'd be playing.