Connacht Minor football championship 2012

Started by ross4life, June 14, 2012, 10:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Close old battle, how many of the Summerhill players are on the Sligo panel?

ross4life

A Mayo softish penalty the difference between the sides the winner of the Galway v Roscommon game will be favourites to win the final.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

maigheo

spuds

Quote from: ross4life on June 24, 2012, 02:56:23 PM
A Mayo softish penalty the difference between the sides the winner of the Galway v Roscommon game will be favourites to win the final.
Agreed. Poor Mayo performance, especially in the second half. Lot of lads went missing around middle for that second half. Standard was disappointing. Penalty seemed soft, ref very fussy throughout, booking needlessly. Lot to work on for final.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

magpie seanie

Seems our lads first half nerves and the ref got Mayo over the line. Feck it anyway. I was quietly confident for this team if we didn't freeze. Now their summer is over.

Cosmo Kramer

Poor enough from Mayo, but nothing unexpected. Good that they are in the quarters now either way. A potential final against Ros in the Hyde though seems like it would be a tall order for our lads. The lad Gallagher sounds promising however. Hopefully the two extra games will bring these players on regardless of outcome.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Farrandeelin

Massive improvement needed the next day out. As magpie seanie said, the game was there for the taking and Sligo's nerves prevented them for taking it esp in the first half. Was more relieved to have gotten the win than anything else. Will probably lose to Ros/Galway on that performance but have another game in the last 8 to redeem themselves, saying that, they've 3 weeks to work on the performance.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ross4life

Hard to judge Mayo minors TBH, I remember in 2009 they didn't look up to much in final v us but went on to win the replay & were damn close to winning the AI Ireland. As i said already the winner of next weekends game will be favourites & that should suit Mayo.

On another note the Connacht final loser will likely to be paired with Tipp whom have about 11 of last years team.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

Roscommon v Galway set for Saturday at 5:30pm in Tuam Stadium.

Mano

Quote from: Syferus on June 24, 2012, 02:55:43 PM

4 starters from Summerhill and 5 from Attractas. Our soccer friends >:( unfortunately got their hands on 2 players from Summerhill. 1 was captain and centre back of this team at under 16 level.
From listening to the radio it sounded as if we kicked the game away and didn't score when with the wind in the firat half and when we had momentum in the second.

magpie seanie

Keeper didn't make the Summerhill team but should have.

spuds

Quote from: Mano on June 25, 2012, 09:47:57 AM

4 starters from Summerhill and 5 from Attractas. Our soccer friends >:( unfortunately got their hands on 2 players from Summerhill. 1 was captain and centre back of this team at under 16 level.
From listening to the radio it sounded as if we kicked the game away and didn't score when with the wind in the firat half and when we had momentum in the second.
In both games teams done most scoring into the Davitt house/Albany end. Sligo no. 11 is a lovely footballer, ran the show in the second half. His man Mayo centre back looked good in first half but couldn't handle him afterwards.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

magpie seanie

Yeah that's Criostoir Davey. Fine player alright.

moysider

Quote from: Mano on June 25, 2012, 09:47:57 AM

Because of the concentration of Summerhill and Attracta players I expected Sligo to be a tight knit bunch that knew what they were at. But they were hopeless in the first half and Mayo could have had the game won twice before half time if they were not so careless with their goal chances. The peno was a correct call also.

Mayo were abject in the second half and if we had lost it would have been a well deserved kick in the hole.

We were totally cleaned out in the middle of the field and there was damn all done to rectify the situation. Seánie Regan is probably the best winner of hard ball in the 15 and he was left stuck in the corner unsupplied for the duration of the game. With the wind in the second half Mayo were just hanging on for last 20 mins.

The annoying thing from a Mayo point of view is that there are many fine individuals but the package yet again is substandard.

Criostóir Davey is indeed a fine player and was fed with a bottomless supply of easy ball in the second half and Cian Burke did a fine job tracking him pushing him wide and limiting the damage he could have done.

Burke is one of our top players and a few of his bursts should have led to game clinching scores. Sometimes he tries to play too much ball at the wrong time but is quality. The whole defence played well. Great pace in players like Durcan, Lynch and mom Michael Plunkett (maybe should be switched to forwards). Gallagher is another top player but perhaps not a midfielder(started at wing forward anyway I think?). He nearly always does the right thing and great engine. Kicked the peno brilliantly.

Forwards were a bit of a rabble I m afraid. To be fair there were scores in them but the whiteout in midfield reduced them to the role of spectators for the second half. O Connor and Lavin tried hard and I was surprised Lavin was subbed. Coen will improve and Hennelly will do damage if he gets ball. Ditto Seanie Regan had the beating of his man all day but no ball.

They might look at playing likes of Regan in the middle or something with just Hennelly and and maybe Coen inside. I m not holding my breath though. Unless some serious improvement can be found, then these lads face 2 more difficult days out.

ross4life

Ciaran O'Connor scored 9pts for Sligo in Fr Manning cup final two years ago what happened to him?