All Ireland Minor Championship - Back Door

Started by Dougal Maguire, June 14, 2012, 06:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Canalman on June 15, 2012, 02:51:11 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 15, 2012, 02:32:41 PM
People vastly over-rate Dublin at under-age. Logistically speaking it's far easier to compete with them at these grades where only people in a one or two year window can compete.

As other counties look into Dublin's conditioning training and start to be become in similar shape the gap, even in Leinster, will be very surmountable.

Many a dynasty has been proclaimed but few have existed.

No one in Dublin "proclaiming a dynasty". Jeez we haven't won an AI minor since 1984.

Who are these "people" you are talking about? Genuinely curious.

This year we got imo our sternest test in the 1st round in Wexford in the U21s where  we could easily have lost.

It's rarely Dublin supporters or Dublin GAA people who sprout it but the very public perception in the country is that Dublin is now 'serious' about under-age and that their sheer weight of size will steam-roll the rest of the country.

When I say Dublin is vastly over-rated it's not to say they're not among the top counties in the county at under-age now, just that I don't see the rest being unable to compete with, and on plenty of ocassions beat, Dublin. Under-age is always in flux and all it takes is a few fantastic talents in any county to propel them far up the ladder.

I'd argue against Wexford being a better test for Dublin at u21 this year than us (Roscommon). It takes a hell of a lot more nerve and skill to play an All-Ireland final to the level we both did than it does to play a first round game in mid-week with little media or public attention. Both teams came out of the AI final enhanced.

Dougal Maguire

Bottom line is that Armagh Minors scored 19 points against one of the favourites to win the AI and they are out of the competition. That can't be right.
Careful now

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on June 15, 2012, 09:33:33 PM
Bottom line is that Armagh Minors scored 19 points against one of the favourites to win the AI and they are out of the competition. That can't be right.

Yes it's not. Kerry can lose three games before they are finally knocked out.

Rossfan

It's all a conspiracy against the Ulster bies ........
By the Ulster Council of course........ :P
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Rossfan on June 15, 2012, 10:01:10 PM

Can't understand why you're getting a bee in your bonnet about this. But as a matter of interest Armagh beat your boys soundly in a challenge match a couple of weeks ago
Careful now

Syferus

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on June 15, 2012, 10:23:16 PM

Can't understand why you're getting a bee in your bonnet about this. But as a matter of interest Armagh beat your boys soundly in a challenge match a couple of weeks ago

Armagh have a fine minor side, anyone that saw the epic AI quarter-final between the two counties last year can attest to that. But we're the ones with bragging rights ;)

ross4life

Quote from: Syferus on June 15, 2012, 10:34:43 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on June 15, 2012, 10:23:16 PM

Armagh have a fine minor side, anyone that saw the epic AI quarter-final between the two counties last year can attest to that. But we're the ones with bragging rights ;)

Wouldn't be many survivors from last years AI quarter final. I heard about that challenge defeat out of interest what was the scoreline Dougal Maguire?

Maybe that defeat is good omen as we shipped a heavy defeat to Armagh in challenge before the 2006 AI.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

tiempo

Its bad enough that there is seeding in the Munster Senior Championship but to have a back door in Munster and Leinster Minor Championships but none in Connacht or Ulster is strange to say the least. I understand the competitions are run by the Connacht and Ulster Councils respectively and they could introduce a back-door element if they wish but for consistency re the All-Ireland Minor this should be balanced out as either back-door for none, or back-door for all.

Personally I would like to see the Minor competition run in the exact same way as the Senior therefore allowing the opportunity for counties in the back-door to face those from other provinces. At Minor County it would be great for lads to get a second day out before a big Senior game somewhere, even better in some cases if they are on before different counties than their own. The novelty factor and chance to see Senior stars of another county up close behind the scenes at a top venue would surely be a great memory win, lose or draw.

nrico2006

One of the biggest issues I have with the GAA at the minute is this shambolic handling of the Minor competition - how has it been allowed to be so unfair for so long now?  Surely this issue has been highlighted before now.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

thewobbler

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 26, 2014, 10:33:32 AM
One of the biggest issues I have with the GAA at the minute is this shambolic handling of the Minor competition - how has it been allowed to be so unfair for so long now?  Surely this issue has been highlighted before now.

Shambolic is an interesting word, after all what the GAA have actually done is allow provincial boards the autonomy to make it work for themselves. It's a thing in transition at present, but shambles is an unnecessarily strong description.

Unfair is an interesting choice of word too. I presume you are referring to the lack of a back door in Ulster/Connacht.  Personally I'd have the same opinion of minors as I would of seniors i.e. why add another 30+ games to a season, to arrive at the same outcome anyway?  For example, Donegal and Tyrone are a distance ahead of the pack this summer in Ulster. What would a back door do apart from prove this conclusively?

The concept of minor football has arrived at something of a crossroads. It's always had a twofold purpose of acting as a curtain raiser for senior football, and as a taster/first steps/welcome to the occasion for potential future senior players. But due to a combination of exams and the back door, it has become largely detached from senior football championship.

The traditionalist in the GAA world will want to maintain the minor competition. Indeed, I would too. But by detaching it from its curtain-raising role, you do have to question its very existence. There is genuinely no reason to run two high-profile, high-expense, u18 and u21 competitions, when a focused, summer-only u20 competition would provide the best of both worlds - and without the problem of exams for u18s.

nrico2006

Quote from: thewobbler on May 26, 2014, 10:56:24 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on May 26, 2014, 10:33:32 AM

Shambolic is an interesting word, after all what the GAA have actually done is allow provincial boards the autonomy to make it work for themselves. It's a thing in transition at present, but shambles is an unnecessarily strong description.

Unfair is an interesting choice of word too. I presume you are referring to the lack of a back door in Ulster/Connacht.  Personally I'd have the same opinion of minors as I would of seniors i.e. why add another 30+ games to a season, to arrive at the same outcome anyway?  For example, Donegal and Tyrone are a distance ahead of the pack this summer in Ulster. What would a back door do apart from prove this conclusively?

The concept of minor football has arrived at something of a crossroads. It's always had a twofold purpose of acting as a curtain raiser for senior football, and as a taster/first steps/welcome to the occasion for potential future senior players. But due to a combination of exams and the back door, it has become largely detached from senior football championship.

The traditionalist in the GAA world will want to maintain the minor competition. Indeed, I would too. But by detaching it from its curtain-raising role, you do have to question its very existence. There is genuinely no reason to run two high-profile, high-expense, u18 and u21 competitions, when a focused, summer-only u20 competition would provide the best of both worlds - and without the problem of exams for u18s.

Without playing on words, something needs to be done to ensure it is fair and each team in the competition is treated equally.  The provincial championships are ultimately under the control of the GAA and if it is apparent (which in this case it is) that certain teams are gaining unfair advantages then they should have taken action by now.  Tyrone and Donegal seem like the two strongest teams in Ulster this year, but that doesn't stop them from losing to any of the other teams and having their season ended early.  Tyrone lost in dubious circumstances to Armagh in 2009, were put out and Armagh went on the win the All Ireland.  Tyrone, if given the second or third chances that counties in other provinces are, could have potentially won that years competition. 

Also, Tyrone were scheduled to play Monaghan at the weekend just six days after playing their first game.  I believe this was to accommodate Monaghan who won't play in June?  Why are the leaving cert students given special treatment? 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

rodney trotter

Because they will be in exams what do you think..

Walter Cronc

Why do leaving cert students get preference over A Level students?

rodney trotter

It's the same in the 4 provinces no Minor games are played during the Lc period. Leinster Semis are played after the lc, Connacht starts the Minor championship after the leaving cert

I don't know the situation about the A levels in the north

Walter Cronc

Yet another reason to change minor grade to u19.