What do Celtic supporters hope happens to Rangers?

Started by deiseach, June 12, 2012, 02:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Given Rangers look certain to be liquidated, what do you hope happens next?

Let them back into the SPL somehow. Life won't be the same without the Old Firm matches
9 (14.3%)
They have to go to the bottom of the Scottish football pyramid. Maybe we'll seem them again in a few years
34 (54%)
Burn, baby, BURN! Their demise will represent our final triumph. I will not miss the Old Firm
20 (31.7%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: June 17, 2012, 02:51:14 PM

Square Ball

could we have an option 4. Couldnt give a f**k one way or the other.

or is that the same as not a Celtic supporter so diddnt vote?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

bennydorano

There'll be some sort of compromise between beginning again at the bottom of Div 3 and staying in the SPL as if nothing happened - dropped into the First Division or something, a one year punishment and then back into the SPL - assuming they are good enough to get back up.

Armaghgeddon

Im open to correction here, but the way I see it...

Even if Rangers do stay in the SPL they will have no European football for the next couple of years making it difficult to attract even half decent players.  Whatever decent players they think they have now will leave, liquidation rips up any contract that they have with the club which may suggest they will leave. This then leaves them with their younger players who may get hammered week in week out. If this does happen it is difficult to see Ibrox being packed or even 50% of supporters turning up. Sky and the likes know that the next few seasons will one sided affairs leading to TV deals possibly being reduced.

As for Celtic, it gives them the opporunity to downsize which would benefit them in the short term because they can reduce their debts.

charlieTully

Quote from: Square Ball on June 12, 2012, 08:19:48 PM

there is always the option of skipping on past the thread.

borderfox

Sporting integrity should be paramount. Rangers should be stripped of all the titles in which they cheated (From 2001 onwards) by using EBTs. Let the bastards burn. No to Newco.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

dillinger

For what i see most of the other clubs fans don't want them voted back into the SPL. I think club chairmen etc will look at the money lose and let them in. Hope not but i can't see going any other way

Aaron Boone

Queens Park v Rangers will be the new rivalry in Glasgow.

Square Ball

Quote from: charlieTully on June 12, 2012, 09:01:27 PM

there is always the option of skipping on past the thread.

there was, but diddnt take it, like all options to be covered
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

deiseach

The clue is in the title of the thread. I didn't want this to degenerate into countless people telling us just how passionately they don't care, like REALLY don't care about the Old Firm did you not hear me I DON'T CARE (cont. p 94). Nice try though

nifan

What should happen will be superceded by financial needs of the other clubs. The club chairmen will know how much the need for rangers is real/imagined, and i imagine the tv deal will be considered - when is it up for renewal?

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: nifan on June 13, 2012, 08:53:26 AM
What should happen will be superceded by financial needs of the other clubs. The club chairmen will know how much the need for rangers is real/imagined, and i imagine the tv deal will be considered - when is it up for renewal?

If Rangers start from new they lose the TC deal so there will be no renewal. I think they will be given an offer but it will be considerably less than what it would have been in previous years. High stake TV deals will not be offered in Scottish football now as Rangers new company or old no longer have the players.

PAULD123

As a Celtic fan the most important thing to me is that Rangers should not be allowed to continue from where they left off. Admitting them back into the SPL effectively gives them a free pass on £55M debt (minimum). If they can do it why shouldn't everyone????

Because of the nature of the social demographic ion Glasgow a certain community will always need a club to follow which cannot be Celtic. So a new club will rise and because of no break in activities the fans will simply claim that club as their own. It doesn't really matter what the SFA say they will claim the history and tradition as their own. They will play in blue, at Ibrox and probably be called Rangers (with only a small modification). Even if they are shoved into the third division, given signings embargoes, only allowed reduced payments, banned from Europe......etc, this is only a temporary punishment. They will, in a few years, be back to where they were and the removal of debt will make them stronger than ever. I can see no appropriate punishment.

Except one -

They should not be allowed to play in blue and they should be told they can never have Rangers in their name. That is the only way to genuinely hurt them. That robs them of their identity in the way that liquidation should. So they get to call themselves Glasgow City (or something like that) and they play in red/yellow/white.... That way they really are a new team and that is the only punishment that I could imagine being worthwhile.

After that, letting them back into the SPL wouldn't seem so bad, and the other financial sanctions for a few years would seem reasonable punishment.

Hound

Quote from: bennydorano on June 12, 2012, 08:36:21 PM
There'll be some sort of compromise between beginning again at the bottom of Div 3 and staying in the SPL as if nothing happened - dropped into the First Division or something, a one year punishment and then back into the SPL - assuming they are good enough to get back up.
This is exactly what I was thinking.

The SPL clubs will vote to allow them to stay in the SPL, but subject to a punishment, which is relegation to Div 1. So the team (Dunfermline I think) that got relegated get a reprieve. All the teams in Div 1 get a nice bonus of a big crowd for a couple of games a year. Rangers get the opportunity to be successful in the short term - challenging for the Div 1 title. And the year or two in Div 1 will get them through the transition period and it won't be long before they have most of the best young players in Scotland playing with them and they'll be challenging for the SPL title.

I see also today the buyers have said that their legal team have confirmed, that if there is a transfer of business to a new entity, the new entity will be obliged to honour all employee contracts, and likewise players will be obliged to honour their contracts. Old Rangers will only go into liquidation after the business has been transferred out, so the players/employees will never be part of a club that went into liquidation.

ziggysego

Quote from: Hound on June 13, 2012, 01:02:27 PM
I see also today the buyers have said that their legal team have confirmed, that if there is a transfer of business to a new entity, the new entity will be obliged to honour all employee contracts, and likewise players will be obliged to honour their contracts. Old Rangers will only go into liquidation after the business has been transferred out, so the players/employees will never be part of a club that went into liquidation.

To me, that seems fair enough, assuming the players are happy to stay with newco Rangers. I can't say I would be, after the way they handled their wages.
Testing Accessibility