Protestant support for GAA in schools grows

Started by armaghniac, June 12, 2012, 02:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Some good news from the Belfast Telegraph poll
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/gaelic-games-protestant-support-for-gaa-in-schools-grows-16170781.html

Growing numbers of Protestants support GAA sports being offered as an option at state schools in Northern Ireland.

The Belfast Telegraph poll revealed that a total of 42% of people of all religions thought that sports such as Gaelic football and hurling should be offered with just 23% opposed. Support was highest among 25-44 year-olds.

Breaking the results down on religious grounds and excluding "don't knows", support was 44% amongst Protestants, who would mainly have attended state schools, and 85% amongst Catholics.

Some 81% of people of "other or no religion" also supported the idea.

Including "don't knows", just over a third (34%) of Protestants were opposed to GAA at state schools, 27% were in favour and 39% had no opinion.

This reflects softening of Protestant and unionist feeling towards the GAA since it lifted a ban on members of the Crown forces participating in its teams.

In January DUP leader Peter Robinson attended the Dr McKenna Cup final in his capacity as First Minister. The GAA also invited the Queen to its Croke Park HQ on her visit to the Republic.

Gaelic games are offered in a number of state, or controlled sector, schools including Limavady Grammar, Portora Royal in Enniskillen, Ashfield Boys' School in Belfast and Dungannon Royal.

This development has been paralleled by increased participation in rugby in Catholic schools here.

Aogan O Fearghail, the Ulster GAA President confirmed: "Ulster GAA is actively promoting Gaelic games to people from non-GAA backgrounds.

"Through these programmes Ulster GAA encourages young people from non-traditional GAA backgrounds to participate in our games, while also raising awareness of the association, helping to build good relations and using sport to break down barriers."

For full statistics analysis visit Lucid talk

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

heffo

A Grammar school hockey team and some teachers also attended one of the Hurling semi-finals last year.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Whatever about Gaelic Football, they defo should be enthusiastic to play hurling, a game many of their ancestors would have played, or at least shinty, cammag, bando etc.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: heffo on June 12, 2012, 02:42:53 PM
A Grammar school hockey team and some teachers also attended one of the Hurling semi-finals last year.

They taught us indoor hockey in school and I loved it. It was a nice change from the constant bombardment of indoor soccer that I hated with a passion.

Christmas Lights

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 12, 2012, 07:16:04 PM
They taught us indoor hockey in school and I loved it. It was a nice change from the constant bombardment of indoor soccer that I hated with a passion.

Possibly the most poofiest post I have ever read

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Christmas Lights on June 12, 2012, 11:18:54 PM

"Most" poofiest?  Why the "most"?  You don't need the most if you've added "est" to the end of "poofy."  Who says "poofy" these days anyway?  What's it going to be next?  Going to call me a "pansy", you amusingly stupid mucksavage?

Kid Twist

It would be good to see some catholic schools actually offer gaa on the curriculum-hurling is offered at a only small number of schools in the north

trileacman

Quote from: Kid Twist on June 12, 2012, 11:36:39 PM
It would be good to see some catholic schools actually offer gaa on the curriculum-hurling is offered at a only small number of schools in the north

Yeah I went to Omagh CBS for 7 years and not once did I see anyone swing a hurl.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

armaghniac

QuoteYeah I went to Omagh CBS for 7 years and not once did I see anyone swing a hurl.

Ah, the advantages of the post corporal punishment period.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Christmas Lights

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 12, 2012, 11:25:13 PM

"Most" poofiest?  Why the "most"?  You don't need the most if you've added "est" to the end of "poofy."  Who says "poofy" these days anyway?  What's it going to be next?  Going to call me a "pansy", you amusingly stupid mucksavage?

Calm down please, no need to get irate.  You prefer hockey to a five a side kick about, thats your preference & your not ashamed to admit it.  Nothing wrong with that at all.

Just a bit poofy in my opinion. 

Maguire01

Quote from: Christmas Lights on June 13, 2012, 08:15:14 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 12, 2012, 11:25:13 PM

Calm down please, no need to get irate.  You prefer hockey to a five a side kick about, thats your preference & your not ashamed to admit it.  Nothing wrong with that at all.

Hockey is considered more 'poofy' than soccer? Really?

Eamonnca1

Quite.

Nothing "poofy" about soccer, is there? Nothing at all.

Christmas Lights

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 13, 2012, 08:40:03 PM

Quite.

Image not hosting. 
Poor response from yourself it has to be said.

Eamonnca1

Sorry, but a soccer apologist trying to label another sport (that he knows damn all about) as "poofy" is just priceless.

Christmas Lights

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 13, 2012, 08:46:34 PM
Sorry, but a soccer apologist trying to label another sport (that he knows damn all about) as "poofy" is just priceless.

Soccer poofy you claim??  Have you ever actually played a competitive game of soccer?  I claim its tougher than a gaelic match.  It is much easier I found to get injured playing soccer as opposed to gaelic.

hockey could be a different story though........you could maybe inform me of this you big poof