Cill Dara v Uíbh Fhailí - 17/6/12

Started by Donnellys Hollow, June 06, 2012, 06:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

western exile

Quote from: western exile on June 14, 2012, 01:48:42 PM
The bookies don't seem rattled after giving 5/1 against Sligo beating Galway.  They are content to offer 7/1 against Offaly here.
To put the betting odds against Offaly in another context, the bookies are giving 12/1 against Ireland beating Spain tonight in the soccerball, and also 12/1 against Ireland beating the All-Blacks on Saturday morning.

Muck Savage

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 14, 2012, 02:05:32 PM

No one is calling an Offaly win, the ignorance is A. Not knowing Seanie 'Straffan Johnson is not eligible and B. Actual calls to boo him or shall we say make him feel welcome, now that is embarrassing and frankly pathetic. The lad is an amateur and what gripe would Offaly have with him, really sad so see things like that creep into the game, but sure that must be part of the ethos and up there with diving as well as no one seems to have interest in cleaning these things up.

We have enough to be worried ourselves as well, there is only some many moral victories one can take.

Why not be accurate?
On the first point, the whole saga is still going on. Look at the indo on Wed that started the discussion on that website

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/johnston-to-get-green-light-for-offaly-clash-after-new-twist-in-transfer-saga-3137433.html

So where does that leave the intelligence level of the rest of the country?

On the 2nd point, the first poster asked about booing
"Do we boo him when he comes on?
The arguments...

Yes we should - Let them know we aren't happy with big teams trying to cherry pick talent, buy success and not act in the spirit of the association. If we're being well beaten, it would be a good way of venting some frustration.

No we shouldn't - It would be unbecoming of gentlemen like us. They're amateur players and shouldn't be abused. Johnston and Kildare haven't broken the rules."

Only one poster replied and they said not to boo. So I dont think there are any call to boo.

Yes, there are issues that need to be addressed in the GAA, booing and diving are some. Maybe a bigger issue that could be looked at also is questionable inter-county transfers, but then Kildare is above all that.

LilySavage

[The bookies don't seem rattled after giving 5/1 against Sligo beating Galway.  They are content to offer 7/1 against Offaly here.

For those of you who do not understand betting, this means that if you bet 10 euros on Offaly to win at odds of 7/1 , you will lose ten euros... :)

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Muck Savage on June 15, 2012, 06:43:31 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 14, 2012, 02:05:32 PM

No one is calling an Offaly win, the ignorance is A. Not knowing Seanie 'Straffan Johnson is not eligible and B. Actual calls to boo him or shall we say make him feel welcome, now that is embarrassing and frankly pathetic. The lad is an amateur and what gripe would Offaly have with him, really sad so see things like that creep into the game, but sure that must be part of the ethos and up there with diving as well as no one seems to have interest in cleaning these things up.

We have enough to be worried ourselves as well, there is only some many moral victories one can take.

Why not be accurate?
On the first point, the whole saga is still going on. Look at the indo on Wed that started the discussion on that website

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/johnston-to-get-green-light-for-offaly-clash-after-new-twist-in-transfer-saga-3137433.html

So where does that leave the intelligence level of the rest of the country?

On the 2nd point, the first poster asked about booing
"Do we boo him when he comes on?
The arguments...

Yes we should - Let them know we aren't happy with big teams trying to cherry pick talent, buy success and not act in the spirit of the association. If we're being well beaten, it would be a good way of venting some frustration.

No we shouldn't - It would be unbecoming of gentlemen like us. They're amateur players and shouldn't be abused. Johnston and Kildare haven't broken the rules."

Only one poster replied and they said not to boo. So I dont think there are any call to boo.

Yes, there are issues that need to be addressed in the GAA, booing and diving are some. Maybe a bigger issue that could be looked at also is questionable inter-county transfers, but then Kildare is above all that.

Firstly I never questioned anyones intelligence just their ignorance, in other words making statements on things without full knowledge, citing the Irish Independent as a defence is inexcusable, that paper is a rag. I also stated "Actual calls to boo him or shall we say make him feel welcome", so if you're going to paraphrase me at least paraphrase me correctly and the actually post on uibhfhaili was "I would say we would be representing the majority of the country in making seanie feel un welcome in portlaoise on sunday". This was then discussed in a manner that AZ attributed to "Winding" and maybe it was and that it went over my head. I went on to that discussion forum to get a feeling as to what the Offaly heads were thinking as it's a good site with intelligent posters or so I thought.

Kildare aren't above anything and if anyone thinks a dubious transfer of that ilk which have been going on for decades prior to the explosion of social media, is a worse problem than a flawed rule book or the rise of gamesmanship needs their head examined imho. The populist opinion has come out against Kildare not helped by the wall of silence coming from the County Board and senior management and this opinion is just based on conjecture but it is something that we will live with it and you know something I'd say McGeeney is probably delighted as no one is talking about Kildare football and our expectations which probably suits him as it keeps all the focus and all the pressure firmly away from his squad.

Anyhow will be interesting to see what team lines out for Kildare, weather forecast is dry with some sun so hopefully with a get a good hard game with no controversy and best of luck to both teams.
#newbridgeornowhere

mup

Expect a couple of surprise inclusions today.

Hound

Doesn't appear to be on RTE Player. Or am I just looking in the wrong place?

Blowitupref

HT Kildare 0-8 Offaly 0-3 it was 3-2 to Offaly after 10mins.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

57mins gone Kildare 0-17 Offaly 0-5
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

squire_in_navy_slacks

No Goals as yet though  ;).............................the guru must be worried

Blowitupref

Johnny Doyle off Dermot Earley on. One way traffic in the 2nd half 17-6

Blowitupref

FT Kildare 0-19 Offaly 0-6 the Lillywhites also kicked 12 wides.

Donnellys Hollow

Satisfactory enough performance. Full-back line gave little away. Great to have Peter Kelly back and Foley restored to the edge of the square today. Lyons was excellent in the half-back line and Rob Kelly caught some fine ball at midfield. Still reckon we'll need Flynn back in a fortnight's time. Conway and Johnny probably the pick of the forwards with both Smith and Fogarty looking sharp enough after coming on. Disappointing that we messed up at least three clear cut goal chances which we'll have to be taking against the better teams. That said we should have had at least one penalty in the second half. I think in a tighter game a referee would have given it.

Good to get a win under the belt and hopefully we'll improve again for the semi-final.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

Satisfied indeed, nice to blow out the dirty diesel. First 20 were to be expected with Offaly putting a lot of effort into it and Kildare at times struggled with their decision making during this period but then Rob Kelly came into the game at midfield and was the dominating figure there. Kildare's middle eight worked really hard and the full back-line suffocated the Offaly forwards and were the best line on the pitch. Again we laboured at times up front and O'Connor must have created at least a dozen opportunities for his team mates but our execution and decision making was poor and at times I think O'Connor would be better off having a pop himself, he has the ability but is obviously working to a game plan.

Hopefully R Kelly was taken off as a precautionary measure, he was my man of the match followed closely by Lyons with Peter Kelly looking very sharp.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 17, 2012, 08:30:34 PM
I think O'Connor would be better off having a pop himself, he has the ability but is obviously working to a game plan.

I think this is something that needs to be worked on. Other teams will cop onto the fact that he's unlikely to have a crack himself and swarm him when he comes down with the ball. He finds it hard enough to get frees as it is given his size and strength. He's well able to take his points but just seems to lack a bit of confidence at times. I recall him kicking some good points when he was full-forward on Crofton's team before all his injuries. I love the physicality that he brings to Kildare's game but he only kicked four points during the league which isn't really enough from an inside forward.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

From the Bunker

Offaly, Roscommon, Louth, Derry, Carlow, Waterford and now Offaly taking hidings in the Championship. There is a gap emerging that was not in football a few years ago when the back door came in. Hope I'm wrong and that all go on to aquit themselves in the Back door.