Wicklow 200

Started by Last Man, June 06, 2012, 04:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Man

Anybody doing the Wicklow 200 on Sunday. Any good advice for a first timer?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Last Man on June 06, 2012, 04:14:03 PM
Anybody doing the Wicklow 200 on Sunday. Any good advice for a first timer?

Well I noticed you were doing some warm weather training last week!! Waste of time considering the weather now :o Good craic?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Declan

QuoteAny good advice for a first timer

Brother did it last year - Stick an outbboard engine on the bike!! ;)

Seriously best of luck and pace yourself

bennydorano

First time for me as well this year, but on the horns of a dilemma whether to go at all or go to armagh game, didn't realise the date clash until after i booked it :(

Forecast is looking quite promising for Sat & Sun in the area.

maddog

Did it as a 16 year old, took about 8 hrs. Was not right for the next 3-4 days, too much too young. Nutrition and hydration are the key. Pace yourself. If you haven't ever done 100 miles in a day don't even go near it.

Last Man

Aye Milltown, think I'm better suited to the 25deg C plus type of climate :P
And yes Maddog have heard that said before about it being an eating and drinking challenge broken up by a bit of cycling....

bennydorano

Sold the Armagh ticket, so guess I'm going to Wicklow.  As Maddog had said to me previously - he couldn't be sure which event would be the more painful anyway :D

bennydorano

Well Last Man, what did you think of it?

Worth doing and a great experience, but wouldn't like to be doing that very often.  124miles, 9250 odd feet of climbing.  Sally Gap caught me unawares a bit I have to say, although I think I was too bloated from trying to get as much food as possible onboard before the start.  I felt much better after the first big food stop and got up Slieve Mann and Shea Eliot (sp?) a lot better than sally gap.  Last 10 mile was torture.