GAA Outreach in Action...

Started by Evil Genius, June 05, 2012, 01:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

I knew there was a 2nd pitch but thought it was joint use by both teams, the way Bellaghy, Ballinderry and other clubs has 2 pitches

Myles Na G.

Quote from: theskull1 on October 20, 2013, 01:00:37 AM
Tonto...the way unionist power brokers treated the nationalist community as second class citizens for decades are you telling me that any military response and support from sections of the nationalist community to that "fight back" had nothing to do with unionism? It absolutely did so if anything we should all accept the part both sides contributed to the troubles.

If we can see that then the whataboutery argument disappears and we can accept that in a lot of communities these men were seen to be fighting their corner because of the political bias. It is what it is because of our history. This is a reason for people who have zero interest in the GAA to blacken what is one of the  best organisations in the world. Take this argument away and as HS suggested the next reason will present itself.

I personally have many friends from the protestant community who could testify to what the GAA brings to a local community. Real shame the hard liners want to believe what they want to believe
The IRA's so called armed struggle wasn't aimed at reforming the north - republicans were always clear about that. It was about ending partition. Neither was it a new struggle. It was a continuation of IRA campaigns which had been running in every decade since the the 1920s. The outbreak of inter communal violence at the end of the 1960s was the fuel republicans used to re energise what was an old struggle.

Rossfan

Quote from: Myles Na G. on October 20, 2013, 01:30:09 PM
. The outbreak of inter communal violence at the end of the 1960s was the fuel republicans used to re energise what was an old struggle.
Inter Communal violence as you call it started by Unionists trying to prevent non violent Civil rights marches.
This violence was brought to a new level on Bloody Sunday and certainly strengthened the PIRA cause as it seemed the only way to get anywhere.
And of course the gun was first brought into Irish politics in the 20th Century by Carson and his terrorists resisting the will of the majority of the Irish people and their own Parliament.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

stibhan

Even Malachi O'Doherty has said that it's the view of one club in Dungiven. Malachi isn't reknowned for his like of republicanism, to put it mildly.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Rossfan on October 20, 2013, 02:31:02 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on October 20, 2013, 01:30:09 PM
. The outbreak of inter communal violence at the end of the 1960s was the fuel republicans used to re energise what was an old struggle.
Inter Communal violence as you call it started by Unionists trying to prevent non violent Civil rights marches.
This violence was brought to a new level on Bloody Sunday and certainly strengthened the PIRA cause as it seemed the only way to get anywhere.
And of course the gun was first brought into Irish politics in the 20th Century by Carson and his terrorists resisting the will of the majority of the Irish people and their own Parliament.
That fact that it was unionists, led by Paisley and his followers, who triggered the violence isn't disputed by too many people. Bloody Sunday undoubtedly brought levels of violence to a new level, but don't forget that the IRA had already killed well over 100 people by that stage, more than the British Army, the RUC and loyalist paramiltaries put together. As for Carson being the person who introduced the gun into 20th century Irish politics, many would argue that the IRB have a better claim to this achievement.

Rossfan

The IRB was a minor little bunch of extremists until the Irish Volunteers were formed AFTER Carson's threats of terrorism and gun running.
The IRB only began to get anywhere after the Volunteers split over Redmond deciding to fight for the Brits even though Home Rule wasn't yet introduced.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maguire01

On one hand, I have some understanding over the naming of the Kevin Lynch's club - on the basis that he was by all accounts a great hurler. Although I wonder if he'd have had that honour if he hadn't died under the circumstances he did.

From the wider GAA perspective, I think it's unfortunate that the club is named as such. I'm all for outreach, although I wouldn't be bending over backwards for the likes of Gregory Campbell or Jim Allister - they've no interest in being friends of the GAA no matter what we do. At the same time, the name of this club, and a handful of competitions, is an open goal for the GAA's critics - a stick to beat the Association with.

I also think that Joe Brolly's input was less than helpful - it could have been a bit more diplomatic. The 'like it or lump it' attitude on a matter like this isn't consistent with being serious about getting those from a Protestant background involved.

Wildweasel74

Our own club had protestants playing for us at underage it was no big deal, we were a small club and welcomed the additional input, Willie anderson lad would have been playing for the loop round the same time. The only problem arose was that the lads got hassle at their local high school when it was found out they were playing gaelic football, so basically outside of one of them an English lad the rest dropped off out of been hassled. in saying that we wouldnt have made it known to other clubs who the lads were, encase they did receive any abuse, teenagers do say silly things without knowing they can cross the line.

Maguire01

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 20, 2013, 05:21:45 PM
Our own club had protestants playing for us at underage it was no big deal, we were a small club and welcomed the additional input, Willie anderson lad would have been playing for the loop round the same time. The only problem arose was that the lads got hassle at their local high school when it was found out they were playing gaelic football, so basically outside of one of them an English lad the rest dropped off out of been hassled. in saying that we wouldnt have made it known to other clubs who the lads were, encase they did receive any abuse, teenagers do say silly things without knowing they can cross the line.
Unfortunately it's not just teenagers.

Feckitt

Mike Nesbitt leader of the Ulster Unionist Party at the Down County Final today.

trileacman

Don't know why Brolly didn't reference to his Gaelic Life piece on the issue of Kevin Lynchs. It said all that was needed on the issue of the naming of the Dungiven club.

The "f**k off if you don't like" attitude damaged the GAA position and is also a copy of the knuckle dragging PUL groups attitude that is quite rightly ridiculed on this board.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Agent Orange

Quote from: Feckitt on October 20, 2013, 06:12:59 PM
Mike Nesbitt leader of the Ulster Unionist Party at the Down County Final today.

His wife is from Kilcoo.

orangeman

Quote from: Agent Orange on October 21, 2013, 12:02:36 AM
Quote from: Feckitt on October 20, 2013, 06:12:59 PM

His wife is from Kilcoo.

Did she have any family playing in the match today ?

Or was this just to appeal to the moderates ?

theskull1

Members of the the GAA should never hide away their involvement in our games. Its only a problem to people with the mindset of Jim Alistair. There's no way people like him should shame anyone from discussing their passion for it because its all good foreby the odd headline grabber. Protestant communities would really benefit from being involved if they could only find the confidence to do so.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Applesisapples

Quote from: Tonto on October 19, 2013, 11:57:46 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 19, 2013, 10:26:09 PM
I'm gonna be honest here. Since when was the GAA about appeasing Unionists?
Some people might argue that the Orange Order was never "about appeasing" nationalists, but it doesn't mean that some people from the "other side" don't find some parts of their organisations/ activities offensive.

Are we still content in 2013 to operate an "I don't give a f*** what they think" attitude?  We know Brolly is, but I was hoping to come on here and see more liberal/ open-minded thinking from some others here.

The truth is that, whatever the circumstances of Lynch's death, he wasn't put away for handing out sweeties to sick children, but was, in fact, a member of a terrorist organisation. No amount of revisionism from Irish Republicans will change that and, although I have no time for Robinson or the DUP, I agree with him that there is no difference between historical or contemporary terrorism.  The scum who murdered Mr Black or Constable Carroll or the soldiers in Antrim a few years ago are exactly the same class of human being as those who carried out similar acts in the 70s, 80s or 90s.

If people don't understand why the name "Kevin Lynch" attached to a sports club can be deemed offensive then, to be honest, I don't see much evidence of community outreach. But if you don't understand that, then here is a heads-up: don't bother criticising unionists for being openly anti-GAA.
OK then, if that is a fact then NI was founded on historic terrorist violence and the threat of inssurection. That makes it an illegal entity...applying your logic. I have said before I suspect that many of those debating the troubles were either not born or too young to remember the '60's, '70's and early '80's. There would have been widespread support and sympathy for the IRA and the hunger strikers in that period when catholics and nationalists were very much under siege from the British and Unionists. Time have changed and we are inching towards equality, it is therefore hard to judge that period by what we have today. I applaude Joe Brolly for saying what he said, whatever his motives. Unionism still cherry picks what is terrorism and what is acceptable violence.