GAA Outreach in Action...

Started by Evil Genius, June 05, 2012, 01:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheamy

religious and social, yes. Don't forget political as well.

Yes, I agree it's a slippery slope. In fact, that is exactly the point of my post i.e the hypocrisy of this criticism in a country and organisation jam packed full of politicisation.

Personally, I wouldn't have commissioned those medals but that's only because they are tacky. However, I'd not condemn anyone for doing so either.

As Nally said, it's a small rural club somewhere among the bushes in Tyrone. Probably impossible to actually find it. People need to get a life and let communities run their own affairs.

theticklemister

A few pointers lads...........

It is very degrading reading through the posts that some people label Protestants as 'Prods'. We all know that this is a jibe similar in the way as 'Taig' is used as a Catholic, so please be mindful and be courteous. If i had the choice to remove all different forms of Christianity I would as it is totally decisive.

There is a general conscience on certain ideological threads that the same people take certain sides; if you read through them all it is clearly to be seen. This thread has turned into another Republican bashing thread.

I was at the Martin McCaughey tournament 2 years ago with my club and found the whole day a fantastic experience where teams from all over Ulster came along and enjoyed a feast of football. Galbally were absolutely fantastic hosts and I can mind a fella who gave a speech to everyone present about the work Martin did in the local club and community. This club set up this competition and there success in doing so was clear to be seen with teams from all over Ulster taking part, and have nothing but praise for the way it was run that day.

nifan

QuoteIt is very degrading reading through the posts that some people label Protestants as 'Prods'. . We all know that this is a jibe similar in the way as 'Taig' is used as a Catholic

I dont think anyone cares too much about this - taig would be a more offensive effort, akin to "black b" etc

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theticklemister on June 06, 2012, 03:42:07 PM
A few pointers lads...........

It is very degrading reading through the posts that some people label Protestants as 'Prods'. We all know that this is a jibe similar in the way as 'Taig' is used as a Catholic, so please be mindful and be courteous. If i had the choice to remove all different forms of Christianity I would as it is totally decisive.

There is a general conscience on certain ideological threads that the same people take certain sides; if you read through them all it is clearly to be seen. This thread has turned into another Republican bashing thread.

I was at the Martin McCaughey tournament 2 years ago with my club and found the whole day a fantastic experience where teams from all over Ulster came along and enjoyed a feast of football. Galbally were absolutely fantastic hosts and I can mind a fella who gave a speech to everyone present about the work Martin did in the local club and community. This club set up this competition and there success in doing so was clear to be seen with teams from all over Ulster taking part, and have nothing but praise for the way it was run that day.

Prods use the word prods (I know cause I've been teaching them for years!!), you'll never hear too many of them say any different.

I don't think that anyone will have a dig at Galbally for running what seems to be a great tournament, as we all know this really makes the summers for kids. It's whether it is ok for running a competition in the name of a recent Republican. If you were a 'prod' ;) from a nearby village which lost a love one to a republican, you'd have something to say about the GAA's policy of inclusiveness.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

deiseach

Quote from: theticklemister on June 06, 2012, 03:42:07 PM

I have many Prod friends

sheamy

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on June 06, 2012, 04:18:36 PM
Quote from: sheamy on June 06, 2012, 03:41:42 PM
religious and social, yes. Don't forget political as well.

Yes, I agree it's a slippery slope. In fact, that is exactly the point of my post i.e the hypocrisy of this criticism in a country and organisation jam packed full of politicisation.
Of course there are many aspects of life not only in Ireland but around the world that are politicised, but there is a difference between the general politics of everyday activities e.g. politicking at the workplace, community groups, religious congregations etc. and party politics. The GAA has a clear rule against the latter.

Quote from: sheamy on June 06, 2012, 03:41:42 PMPersonally, I wouldn't have commissioned those medals but that's only because they are tacky. However, I'd not condemn anyone for doing so either.

As Nally said, it's a small rural club somewhere among the bushes in Tyrone. Probably impossible to actually find it. People need to get a life and let communities run their own affairs.
First off, Galbally is hardly a small club. It's membership numbers in 2011 according to the report in the last Tyrone County Convention was 748, the biggest in the county. Bigger than Errigal Ciaran, bigger than Carrickmore, bigger than Omagh, bigger than Ardboe etc. Also local communities are free to run their own local affairs - what they are not entitled to do is act in a manner which can bring the GAA or any other group/person e.g. sponsors into disrepute. And no, it's not impossible to find.

right, I'll tell you what you do. Since you know how to find it (but are missing a sense of humour), go to Galbally and tell them yourself that they are bringing the GAA into disrepute. If you don't want to do that, then put your name to a letter to them.

You seem to completely neglect the fact that here we have a club who choose to commemorate, not an republican volunteer, but someone who seemingly was a passionate and hard working club member, and also happened to be a republican volunteer. You will not find one rule in the GAA rulebook against that. There was no rally and no political party involvement. The fact that the club crest bears an image of Padraig Pearse must surely sit very uncomfortably with you...

theticklemister

Galbally was a hell of a place to find I mind well!!! They were doing up the other pitch the last time I was down; how is the set up now? Some club set up altogether.lovely people too.

EC Unique

Quote from: raff on June 06, 2012, 01:45:46 PM
QuoteNally do you think these medals were a good idea?

EC Unique, you'll be quare and annoyed to learn that your club won the tournament!

Why?

saffron sam2

Quote from: hardstation on June 06, 2012, 02:28:21 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 06, 2012, 02:24:07 PM
I think if we want to start talking about renaming clubs and competitions that have bishops and priests named after them then we should start up a new thread.

I think the main part of the thread to date is whether it was a good call to have these medals handed out to the kids with a Republican on them? We have managed to get away off topic (as normally happens) so a simple poll with say if it was a good idea or bad.
Do you oppose this?

I oppose the Russian keeper borrowing that for a week from the foyer of our school and not returning it.

Any chance of you doing the right thing and dropping it back up?

Although it does look an awful lot better that it did when it left.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on June 06, 2012, 01:17:09 PM
How do people feel about naming cups after priests, bishops, brothers etc or clubs named after saints or anything else to do with that "makey up bullshit" in the GAA?
Have an early night.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 06, 2012, 09:37:58 PM
Quote from: hardstation on June 06, 2012, 01:17:09 PM
How do people feel about naming cups after priests, bishops, brothers etc or clubs named after saints or anything else to do with that "makey up bullshit" in the GAA?
Have an early night.

One fight at a time  ;)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

saffron sam2

Quote from: hardstation on June 06, 2012, 09:36:31 PM
This is kept in a school?

I do despair.

BTW, the Russian goalkeeper will be happy tonight after we hate the Huns.

Was kept in a school. Your da walked past it every morning for years. Should be returned.

Good, but irrelevant news regarding tonight's result.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

theticklemister

Can't make out the name or image on that trophy. What is the competition for?

ardal

I can make out:

always there when the sports centre closes, when schools stop supporting extracurricular sports with their students, when parents need a baby sitting service, a wake, a wedding reception, a hall for a silver jubilee.

He who has not sinned....................................

theticklemister

Ah mind a few songs where Joe McKelvey is mentioned, in 'Take it down from the Mast'.......'.ye murdered our brave Liam and Roryn you butchered young Richard and Joe.....'

The other one then is a lovely ballad called 'Belfast Graves' .....' Joe McKelvey through death's gate......'

I don't know any specific ballad about Joe McKelvey however.