GAA Outreach in Action...

Started by Evil Genius, June 05, 2012, 01:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 05, 2012, 10:31:35 PM
Quote from: orangeman on June 05, 2012, 10:26:11 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on June 05, 2012, 08:18:59 PM
Quote from: hardstation on June 05, 2012, 02:56:52 PM
In for a penny, in for a pound then. Pearse, Casement, Rossa, McDermotts, Wolfe Tones etc etc. Do away with the lot. You can't handpick which 'terrorists' you would like to include.
Actually, yes you can, people do and people will and for a good reason - they are entitled to disassociate themselves from those who take actions supposedly in their name, their belief or their views. For example, those that planted the car bomb which seen the murder of Ronan Kerr would likely see themselves in the same mould as those you list above yet almost everyone else whom aspires to a politically unified Ireland had reactions from distancing themselves to revulsion - including Sinn Fein, whom have a high proportion of their membership that didn't see the same tactics during the troubles to be as much of a problem. Same goes for the killing of Stephen Carroll and the two sappers at Massereene, seemingly unacceptable these days in the eyes of many prominent republicans not associated with dissident or fringe groups but would have been anything but during the 70's and 80's. Take a flip side to "themmuns" and Remembrance Sunday services - every year Loyalist paramilitaries carry out their own such services in which they remember their 'volunteers' whom lost their lives during the troubles putting them on the same level as those who have fought and died in the British armed forces. Most other unionists OTOH find this idea disgraceful, repulsed at the thought of the likes of George Seawright and Billy Wright being mentioned in the same service as like the fodder whom were sent into the human mincing machines in the trenches in World War I.

One thing about the likes of those whom were behind the Easter Rising is that first no one here is likely to have any living memory of when they were still alive, therefore their legacy is through their writings and recordings by others. It can be easy to romanticise when you don't be there in the moment but that's nothing anyone can do about here. In any case, at least they actually put their heads on the line alongside things like helping Gaelic cultural movements. It's dangerous to assume what those no longer with us would have thought about things beyond their death, but I would like to think that Clarke, Connolly, Pearse etc. would not have been too keen on the idea of proxy bombing.

One in, all in? Nope, it's not quite as simple as that. Michael Stone's epic fail getting stuck in a door at Stormont in 2006 while claiming to defend the union of the UK certainly doesn't mean that he is represents all northerner that regard themselves as unionists.

So no evil actions were committed back then ? Nothing on a par with what went on in the troubles ? Nothing ?
So you can't see the difference between acts 100 years ago and a couple of years ago - the deeds might be the same but I can't imagine many families are dealing with their losses 100 years ago, losses they would be reminded of every day if they had to drive past Billy Wright Memorial Park or Sean Kelly Park? I know you're not that dumb despite your best efforts to make yourself look that way.

I can indeed but do you have a suitable cut off date ?

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Nally Stand on June 05, 2012, 06:45:45 PM
Divisive?? One parent complained. One. It was a Galbally tournament. Organised by a club with a freedom fighter fighter to it's name so no reason not to have a LOCAL freedom fighter on the medals. And a man held in the highest of regards in the local area at that and in an area which suffered more than most rural villages. Back to the old chestnut of Old IRA=good but PIRA=bad. Some folks just need to confront their own hypocricies. If the club name isn't an issue then the medals shouldn't be either.

Well if that woman pulls her kid from GAA it's one less GAA player.

What is more important:  commemorating provo or promoting the games?

I'm sure non-republicans can rationalise (if not like) historical names such as Pearse, Wolfe Tone etc... but surely you can see that memories of this guys are raw for people? 

The Ulster council are running a community outreach program for unionists.   They should save the money and give it up if the allow clubs hand out medals like this.

/Jim.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: orangeman on June 05, 2012, 10:34:37 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 05, 2012, 10:31:35 PM
Quote from: orangeman on June 05, 2012, 10:26:11 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on June 05, 2012, 08:18:59 PM
Quote from: hardstation on June 05, 2012, 02:56:52 PM
In for a penny, in for a pound then. Pearse, Casement, Rossa, McDermotts, Wolfe Tones etc etc. Do away with the lot. You can't handpick which 'terrorists' you would like to include.
Actually, yes you can, people do and people will and for a good reason - they are entitled to disassociate themselves from those who take actions supposedly in their name, their belief or their views. For example, those that planted the car bomb which seen the murder of Ronan Kerr would likely see themselves in the same mould as those you list above yet almost everyone else whom aspires to a politically unified Ireland had reactions from distancing themselves to revulsion - including Sinn Fein, whom have a high proportion of their membership that didn't see the same tactics during the troubles to be as much of a problem. Same goes for the killing of Stephen Carroll and the two sappers at Massereene, seemingly unacceptable these days in the eyes of many prominent republicans not associated with dissident or fringe groups but would have been anything but during the 70's and 80's. Take a flip side to "themmuns" and Remembrance Sunday services - every year Loyalist paramilitaries carry out their own such services in which they remember their 'volunteers' whom lost their lives during the troubles putting them on the same level as those who have fought and died in the British armed forces. Most other unionists OTOH find this idea disgraceful, repulsed at the thought of the likes of George Seawright and Billy Wright being mentioned in the same service as like the fodder whom were sent into the human mincing machines in the trenches in World War I.

One thing about the likes of those whom were behind the Easter Rising is that first no one here is likely to have any living memory of when they were still alive, therefore their legacy is through their writings and recordings by others. It can be easy to romanticise when you don't be there in the moment but that's nothing anyone can do about here. In any case, at least they actually put their heads on the line alongside things like helping Gaelic cultural movements. It's dangerous to assume what those no longer with us would have thought about things beyond their death, but I would like to think that Clarke, Connolly, Pearse etc. would not have been too keen on the idea of proxy bombing.

One in, all in? Nope, it's not quite as simple as that. Michael Stone's epic fail getting stuck in a door at Stormont in 2006 while claiming to defend the union of the UK certainly doesn't mean that he is represents all northerner that regard themselves as unionists.

So no evil actions were committed back then ? Nothing on a par with what went on in the troubles ? Nothing ?
So you can't see the difference between acts 100 years ago and a couple of years ago - the deeds might be the same but I can't imagine many families are dealing with their losses 100 years ago, losses they would be reminded of every day if they had to drive past Billy Wright Memorial Park or Sean Kelly Park? I know you're not that dumb despite your best efforts to make yourself look that way.

I can indeed but do you have a suitable cut off date ?
Scroll back a couple of pages.

orangeman

Living memory ? That's a good one.

Tony Baloney

orangeman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 05, 2012, 10:51:34 PM
Quote from: orangeman on June 05, 2012, 10:47:47 PM
Thanks.

What's the logic of combatants engaged in conflict / war / murder or whatever you want to call it allowed to be admitted if they were involved pre 1932 with everyone else kicked out ?. You specifically refeered to terrorists. Who were these terrorists according to your classification ?.

What should the GAA do with Kevin Lynchs, Clady Sean Souths ? Should the GAA now take decisive action and ban ALL association with those involved in conflict post 1932 ?.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: orangeman on June 05, 2012, 11:03:45 PM
Thanks.

What's the logic of combatants engaged in conflict / war / murder or whatever you want to call it allowed to be admitted if they were involved pre 1932 with everyone else kicked out ?. You specifically refeered to terrorists. Who were the terrorists according to your classification ?.

What should the GAA do with Kevin Lynchs, Clady Sean Souths ? Should the GAA now take decisive action and ban ALL association with those involved in conflict post 1932 ?.
No. Would target all new business re. naming of clubs, grounds, competitions, trophies etc. after terrorists. The past has passed but surely enough good men have passed through the GAA annals of the last 30-50 years to merit commemoration.

orangeman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 05, 2012, 11:10:50 PM
Thanks.

What's the logic of combatants engaged in conflict / war / murder or whatever you want to call it allowed to be admitted if they were involved pre 1932 with everyone else kicked out ?. You specifically refeered to terrorists. Who were the terrorists according to your classification ?.

No. Would target all new business re. naming of clubs, grounds, competitions, trophies etc. after terrorists. The past has passed but surely enough good men have passed through the GAA annals of the last 30-50 years to merit commemoration.

A lot of good men have passed through is right - but what should the GAA do with these tournaments now that are held in Galbally and in other places ? Should they be banned cos one mother supposedly contacted the BBC ( which I doubt very much happened but that's by the by ) ?.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: orangeman on June 05, 2012, 11:16:15 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 05, 2012, 11:10:50 PM
Thanks.

A lot of good men have passed through is right - but what should the GAA do with these tournaments now that are held in Galbally and in other places ? Should they be banned cos one mother supposedly contacted the BBC ( which I doubt very much happened but that's by the by ) ?.
The number of contentious clubs, competitions etc must be miniscule and the various councils probably aren't aware of club awards etc. so it is a difficult one to tackle other than ensuring all clubs are aware of standards expected of them for future naming etc.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: hardstation on June 05, 2012, 11:33:54 PM
Fionntamhnach, on an individual basis a person can decide which 'terrorist' he or she likes. A national organisation cannot be so willy nilly on which 'terrorist' it endorses, especially if it wants to be seen as a non political and all inclusive organisation.

Anyway, the GAA will not be non political in my lifetime. On the founds of Irish nationalism it was built and it would need to be completely knocked down and started again in order to remove all fragments of politicisation. Anything else is papering the cracks.

Outside of Ulster it seems to have largely and organically moved to a non-political organisation as far as I can see. I know people will always have their own politics and will be members of an organisation, but this is not the same as endorsements from an organisation itself.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ONeill

See that bastard Francis Drake was involved in the Rathlin Island massacre of 1575. They wiped out Sorley Boy MacDonnell's family but I'd have no love for Sorley after the dirty trick he pulled on Shane O'Neill in Cushendun though to be fair O'Neill had held him captive for a lock of years and was riding Sorley's wife who was Shane's own half sister.

Is the Campbell/McGirr Cup still on the go?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Let's hope yer woman's son doesn't head til the wiles of Derry and wins the Intermediate championship, winning the Bateson, Sherdian and Lee cup.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

trileacman

For the sake of a quiet life would it kill people to commemorate the activists killed in a more appropriate manner? I mean I like to commemorate my dead gran but I won't be asking the club to put her photo on the U-12 medals.

Given all that was lost during the troubles is it too costly to try and not aggravate the situation, either that or when you do cause divisions don't act with such f**king bewilderment as to what's wrong. Reminds me of how the IFA are so annoyed at losing catholic players, completely under the assumption they themselves shoulder none of the blame. Or that orangemen are oblivious to the fact that marching down Drumcree serves solely as a confrontation and not at all as a commemoration.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

red hander

Legislating for the fact this thread was started by a shit-stirring WUM, and in light of the jubilee bilge we've had forced down our throats in the last fortnight by c***ts who think this place is british, I for one, as a Tyrone man, am proud of a guy who went head to head with the sas in Cappagh and defeated them. The proof is on the sas memorial in hereford.

Main Street

I'm also unreservedly proud of Martin McCaughey but the issue is whether he should be commemorated on a medal or should we wait another 20 years to do so?

Does Linfield fc commemorating the memory of David Ervine  strike fear and loathing throughout the 6 counties or is it understood that he was a longtime club member?