GAA Outreach in Action...

Started by Evil Genius, June 05, 2012, 01:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

God save the Queen.

Happy now?

lawnseed

ffs its an underage medal! my kids have cupboards full of them! some of them have the name of the local chipper on them! why did this woman go to the press? why didnt she go to her club and complain? her county secretary? her county chairman? there are procedures... tell you what if getting your name on a underage medal is all you get for getting shot 30 times by the sas...its not alot? in this world people are honoured for everything charity work, bravery, longevity. kings of england gave vast estates to their best generals even though they didnt fire a shot.. ITS ALL IN THE TIMING!! had these men not been shot they could have been great leaders in the peace process or charity workers or something completely different. as it is their lives and their memory is frozen on the day they were killed. as are the lives of their relatives and friends and they want to keep their memory alive and relevant in a completely new enviroment they see this as something to keep their names alive. try to put yourself in their place. maybe theres something else they could do. as for the complainent i have no time for her. she should have followed proper procedure and if she doesnt like "terrorists" then take her kid out of the "pearses" shes only a bollix
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lawnseed on June 05, 2012, 06:35:48 PM
ffs its an underage medal! my kids have cupboards full of them! some of them have the name of the local chipper on them! why did this woman go to the press? why didnt she go to her club and complain? her county secretary? her county chairman? there are procedures... tell you what if getting your name on a underage medal is all you get for getting shot 30 times by the sas...its not alot? in this world people are honoured for everything charity work, bravery, longevity. kings of england gave vast estates to their best generals even though they didnt fire a shot.. ITS ALL IN THE TIMING!! had these men not been shot they could have been great leaders in the peace process or charity workers or something completely different. as it is their lives and their memory is frozen on the day they were killed. as are the lives of their relatives and friends and they want to keep their memory alive and relevant in a completely new enviroment they see this as something to keep their names alive. try to put yourself in their place. maybe theres something else they could do. as for the complainent i have no time for her. she should have followed proper procedure and if she doesnt like "terrorists" then take her kid out of the "pearses" shes only a bollix
Forgive the whataboutery but would you be as equally understanding if Portadown FC had a Billy Wright memorial trophy for underage players?

Nally Stand

Divisive?? One parent complained. One. It was a Galbally tournament. Organised by a club with a freedom fighter fighter to it's name (Galbally Pearses) so no reason not to have a LOCAL freedom fighter (Vol. Martin McCaughey) on the medals. He was a man held in the highest of regards in the local area, (something many posters here refuse to contemplate), and this is in an area which suffered more than most rural villages during the war. So it's just back to the old chestnut of Old IRA=good but PIRA=bad. Some folks just need to confront their own hypocricies. If the club name isn't an issue then the medals shouldn't be either.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

stew

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 05, 2012, 06:42:07 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on June 05, 2012, 06:35:48 PM
Forgive the whataboutery but would you be as equally understanding if Portadown FC had a Billy Wright memorial trophy for underage players?

Great question, I would be offended and can see why Unionists would object to this situation.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Myles Na G. on June 05, 2012, 02:08:32 PM
From the same clowns who staged the hunger strike commemoration on GAA property a couple of years back. The fact that they're at the same sort of thing again shows the lack of will on the part of the GAA to deal with it.

Well that was at the Galbally Community Centre beside the GAA grounds but not part of the GAA club - as verified by a GAA investigation. But sure why let the truth get in the way of a good story eh!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Hoof Hearted

Evil Genius is having a good snigger, he starts this, this sits back whilst GAA MEN argue about it !

If there is/was a Billy Wright memorial soccer tournament, you can be sure the BBC website wont have a story on it.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on June 05, 2012, 09:12:45 PM
Evil Genius is having a good snigger, he starts this, this sits back whilst GAA MEN argue about it !

If there is/was a Billy Wright memorial soccer tournament, you can be sure the BBC website wont have a story on it.

regardless, talking about it rather than ignoring it is far better, don't you think?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 05, 2012, 09:20:26 PM

regardless, talking about it rather than ignoring it is far better, don't you think?

maybe, but perhaps im showing my age, cause pre-internet age, the bbc news, or the prods, or anyone else wouldnt have gotten hold of this news.

It could have been discussed on the high stools, or street corners etc, and the dirty linen wouldnt be hung out in public.

I hate this shite all the time. No doubt i will get some young cub in his early twenties say to me in work this week "i see the GAA are at it again". Gets on my tits.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on June 05, 2012, 09:37:02 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 05, 2012, 09:20:26 PM

maybe, but perhaps im showing my age, cause pre-internet age, the bbc news, or the prods, or anyone else wouldn't have gotten hold of this news.

It could have been discussed on the high stools, or street corners etc, and the dirty linen wouldn't be hung out in public.

I hate this shite all the time. No doubt i will get some young cub in his early twenties say to me in work this week "i see the GAA are at it again". Gets on my tits.

I didn't even know about it till last night. I don't watch the news so I'm beat there. But we manage to score a few own goals the odd time. I know plenty prods who want to get involved, mainly rugby men who'd love their kids playing Gaelic during the summer to improve their ball handling/kicking skills but we are missing a trick here I think. Though there seems to be many (here anyways) who rather not have prods playing.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hoof Hearted

i have nothing against the prods, certainly not. It's the real anti-GAA ones who love to see the GAA painted in a bad light and thrive on this news.

Tony Baloney

Lads it's not all about the prods. Believe it or not some Catholics aren't fussed on the practice of naming competitions etc. after modern day terrorists. I'm not long home from a match in Gerard McGleenan Park, Keady. As far as I know he was a young, entirely innocent club hurler murdered by the infamous Glenanne Gang. There is a huge difference between that and possibly naming the ground after someone who perpetrated such an act on neighbours up the road. Would the family of the victims be expected to drive past this every day and just suck it up?

EC Unique

A little silver medal with "mc caughey memorial cup" on it would have been fine. Nobody would have batted an eye lid. The picture is what done the damage here.  It caught people's eye. It is also as tacky as f**k. Not the wisest decision by the galbally people but hardly surprising.  ::)

orangeman

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on June 05, 2012, 08:18:59 PM
Quote from: hardstation on June 05, 2012, 02:56:52 PM
In for a penny, in for a pound then. Pearse, Casement, Rossa, McDermotts, Wolfe Tones etc etc. Do away with the lot. You can't handpick which 'terrorists' you would like to include.
Actually, yes you can, people do and people will and for a good reason - they are entitled to disassociate themselves from those who take actions supposedly in their name, their belief or their views. For example, those that planted the car bomb which seen the murder of Ronan Kerr would likely see themselves in the same mould as those you list above yet almost everyone else whom aspires to a politically unified Ireland had reactions from distancing themselves to revulsion - including Sinn Fein, whom have a high proportion of their membership that didn't see the same tactics during the troubles to be as much of a problem. Same goes for the killing of Stephen Carroll and the two sappers at Massereene, seemingly unacceptable these days in the eyes of many prominent republicans not associated with dissident or fringe groups but would have been anything but during the 70's and 80's. Take a flip side to "themmuns" and Remembrance Sunday services - every year Loyalist paramilitaries carry out their own such services in which they remember their 'volunteers' whom lost their lives during the troubles putting them on the same level as those who have fought and died in the British armed forces. Most other unionists OTOH find this idea disgraceful, repulsed at the thought of the likes of George Seawright and Billy Wright being mentioned in the same service as like the fodder whom were sent into the human mincing machines in the trenches in World War I.

One thing about the likes of those whom were behind the Easter Rising is that first no one here is likely to have any living memory of when they were still alive, therefore their legacy is through their writings and recordings by others. It can be easy to romanticise when you don't be there in the moment but that's nothing anyone can do about here. In any case, at least they actually put their heads on the line alongside things like helping Gaelic cultural movements. It's dangerous to assume what those no longer with us would have thought about things beyond their death, but I would like to think that Clarke, Connolly, Pearse etc. would not have been too keen on the idea of proxy bombing.

One in, all in? Nope, it's not quite as simple as that. Michael Stone's epic fail getting stuck in a door at Stormont in 2006 while claiming to defend the union of the UK certainly doesn't mean that he is represents all northerner that regard themselves as unionists.

So no evil actions were committed back then ? Nothing on a par with what went on in the troubles ? Nothing ?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: orangeman on June 05, 2012, 10:26:11 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on June 05, 2012, 08:18:59 PM
Quote from: hardstation on June 05, 2012, 02:56:52 PM
In for a penny, in for a pound then. Pearse, Casement, Rossa, McDermotts, Wolfe Tones etc etc. Do away with the lot. You can't handpick which 'terrorists' you would like to include.
Actually, yes you can, people do and people will and for a good reason - they are entitled to disassociate themselves from those who take actions supposedly in their name, their belief or their views. For example, those that planted the car bomb which seen the murder of Ronan Kerr would likely see themselves in the same mould as those you list above yet almost everyone else whom aspires to a politically unified Ireland had reactions from distancing themselves to revulsion - including Sinn Fein, whom have a high proportion of their membership that didn't see the same tactics during the troubles to be as much of a problem. Same goes for the killing of Stephen Carroll and the two sappers at Massereene, seemingly unacceptable these days in the eyes of many prominent republicans not associated with dissident or fringe groups but would have been anything but during the 70's and 80's. Take a flip side to "themmuns" and Remembrance Sunday services - every year Loyalist paramilitaries carry out their own such services in which they remember their 'volunteers' whom lost their lives during the troubles putting them on the same level as those who have fought and died in the British armed forces. Most other unionists OTOH find this idea disgraceful, repulsed at the thought of the likes of George Seawright and Billy Wright being mentioned in the same service as like the fodder whom were sent into the human mincing machines in the trenches in World War I.

One thing about the likes of those whom were behind the Easter Rising is that first no one here is likely to have any living memory of when they were still alive, therefore their legacy is through their writings and recordings by others. It can be easy to romanticise when you don't be there in the moment but that's nothing anyone can do about here. In any case, at least they actually put their heads on the line alongside things like helping Gaelic cultural movements. It's dangerous to assume what those no longer with us would have thought about things beyond their death, but I would like to think that Clarke, Connolly, Pearse etc. would not have been too keen on the idea of proxy bombing.

One in, all in? Nope, it's not quite as simple as that. Michael Stone's epic fail getting stuck in a door at Stormont in 2006 while claiming to defend the union of the UK certainly doesn't mean that he is represents all northerner that regard themselves as unionists.

So no evil actions were committed back then ? Nothing on a par with what went on in the troubles ? Nothing ?
So you can't see the difference between acts 100 years ago and a couple of years ago - the deeds might be the same but I can't imagine many families are dealing with their losses 100 years ago, losses they would be reminded of every day if they had to drive past Billy Wright Memorial Park or Sean Kelly Park? I know you're not that dumb despite your best efforts to make yourself look that way.