Previous topic - Next topic

When do you prefer NFL games to be played

Saturday Evening
23 (54.8%)
Sunday Afternoon
19 (45.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Fear ón Srath Bán

Don't know if this question has been asked before here folks, but trying to get a handle on what the feeling is on Saturday evening games?  Personally, I could do without them – they might be OK for the home fans, but they're a pain in the butt for travellers where the Saturday evening in a new or different place that you might be trying to acquaint yourself with is more or less spoken for. 

Not totally enamoured with the home games under lights either, nothing to beat the Sunday game, though I would accept that the players may prefer it, and that's an important consideration.  Sláinte.

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

dubnut

Personally I like the saturday evening games, a lot less likely to clash with my own club games which are generally sunday.
A selfish reason I know but its club games which prevent many from making inter county league games.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: dubnut on March 23, 2007, 09:22:08 AM
Personally I like the saturday evening games, a lot less likely to clash with my own club games which are generally sunday.
A selfish reason I know but its club games which prevent many from making inter county league games.

Pefectly valid point, which I suppose could raise the wider question about the club games where club floodlights are available.

Mayo4Sam

Ya if u have a match on the sunday its hard to miss it to go to a mayo match

Also good for a weekend away, cant make cork this weekend due to a stag but thinking of heading to omagh, few pints and home again sunday
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Deal_Me_In

For an ordinary club player i feel that a few sat night games would be great. The commitment every player (even at junior reserve) is expected to give i.e. not going out/drinking on a saturday night, can really have an adverse effect on your social life outside football. If 3-4 games were played on a sat night this would give club player the option of going out and having a few drinks on a sat night and i think it would keep a lot more young people (18-24) playing football on a regular basis

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Deal_Me_In on March 23, 2007, 10:57:16 AM
For an ordinary club player i feel that a few sat night games would be great. The commitment every player (even at junior reserve) is expected to give i.e. not going out/drinking on a saturday night, can really have an adverse effect on your social life outside football. If 3-4 games were played on a sat night this would give club player the option of going out and having a few drinks on a sat night and i think it would keep a lot more young people (18-24) playing football on a regular basis

Agreed, though it'll take a while for enough clubs to have the lighting to make it a runner.

Fionntamhnach

For local derby games, Saturday night matches under floodlights aren't too bad but when it involves two teams from different ends of Ireland I don't see the point in it.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Thanks so far a chairde, and looks like an emphatic result for the Saturday evenings (so far).  Go raibh míle maith agaibh, and have a great one.

Hound

I much prefer Saturday evening games. Would prefer a slightly earlier throw-in, maybe 6pm or 6.30pm.

mylestheslasher

This time of year I perfer the saturday games, but there is nothing as good as the championship game on a Sunday in the summer. I have been to around 4/5 floodlit games this year already and a I have seen a worrying trend. When Cavan played Meath the umpire waved a clear meath point wide that was over and later waved one over that was 2ft wide. Against Wicklow I think they had a point waved over that was wide and then in our last game Cavan against Sligo had a clear point waved wide that was over. None of these decisions won or lost the game lucky enough but could it be that the combination of older men doing umpires and high power lights shining in their faces is causing difficulties for  them??

Redgreenery

I'd rather the Sunday afternoon games personally but do also enjoy the different feel of a Saturday evening game!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Just bumping it up folks, to see if anyone has been missed. A dead heat at the minute, and not the apparent forgeone conclusion for Saturday evening games that it first appeared (surprisingly).

Hound

I see Meath v Waterford is 5.45pm this Saturday in Navan. That's a great day and time for a game IMO.

ExiledGael

Can somebody please tell me what IMO means?????

mylestheslasher