LSFC Longford v Wexford 3/6/2012

Started by panc56, May 28, 2012, 07:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

panc56

So we are down to the last 8 in Leinster. Without thinking too far  ahead the winners don't play again for 5 weeks. How crazy is the fixtures list? Yellow bellies are favorites but it'll be a close one.

Shamrock Shore

Nothing to fear here. I would totally ignore the victory last month in the League 3 final as this is a horse of a diffent fish.

We go in with tails up. Wexford are starting cold. If we get the early scores in to settle the nerves then we may have the scoring forwards to keep us ahead. Midfield and half back line will be the key. If we are beaten here then it will be a tall order.

C'mon the Larries.

Longfordian

Agree with Shamrock ...a bit of momenteum with us at the moment , which makes a great change for us , our midfield will need to get going from the start on Sunday , wide open spaces of Croke Park may suit our forward line a little more than Wexford .
Wonder will he start Paul Kelly , or hold him back as an impact sub .. Croke Pk will suit him down to the ground !
Like Shamrock , I would read nothing into Div 3 final ...

Thankfully this game is televised , for us out foreign ,  as Im still not the better of the Newstalk lads taking an age to decide where Loais had scored a goal or was it a square ball

Qwerty28

Glad to hear we're not favourites with the bookies!  ;)

Need a far settle far better than the last day and get even a 40/60 share at midfiled as we were cleaned out there in first 35 against Laois but tails must be up and a lot o confidence following comeback win so roll on Sunday!  :D

seafoid

It is a pity Longford are not in the same half of the draw as Carlow vs Meath 

Denn Forever

QuoteLike Shamrock , I would read nothing into Div 3 final ...

I think that Wexford can take a lot from that final though.  Longford allowed them back into the game when they should have had them buried.  Will have to maintain the intensity for the whole game.

Come on Longford.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

LaurelEye

Longford team unchanged from the team that started against Laois:

Damien Sheridan (Dromard); Dermot Brady (Longford Slashers), Barry Gilleran (Longford Slashers), Declan Reilly (Colmcille); Colm P. Smyth (Abbeylara), Michael Quinn (Killoe), Shane Mulligan (Mullinalaghta); Bernard McElvaney (Ballymore), John Keegan (Mullinalaghta); David Barden (Clonguish), Paul Barden (capt., Clonguish), Niall Mulligan (Longford Slashers); Dónal McElligott (Mullinalaghta), Brian Kavanagh (Kilmacud Crokes), Seán McCormack (Killoe).
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

panc56

Only three more sleeps before we make our long awaited championship return to the hallowed turf. Was our last game there in this competition a heavy defeat to the Dubs in 05? Nialler was full forward, not sure how many of this team played then, perhaps Paul Barden, Damien Sheridan. I'm hoping we can keep a point or two in it and finish strongly. We need to avoid a good start by Wexford on the back of their great second half in the league final.
All in all it's a great opportunity for this team to make a marker in LSFC!

Qwerty28

Bit of a hiding in the end that day agaisnt the Dubs in our last visit to Croker in Championship!  :(

Wonder if that will be team that starts? Paul Kelly must be very close to the first 15...

Already getting excited about it and quietly confident but think that might be a bad thing!!

This Years Model

Great uncertainty about Wexford's actual line-up, which reflects a certain anxiety on Jason Ryan's part.
Normally for championship he lines out the team as selected.

Anyway, he's right to be anxious. Longford have a nice momentum and yet Wexford are still the bookie's favourites. I guess the bookies are looking at Wexford's decent record in championship games at Headquarters over the last few years ...

Longford's support will outnumber Wexford's by at least 10-1 so that should be worth a few points.

Hopefully we'll get a good open game that's nip 'n tuck, and then whoever wants it more will win out.

Keane

How do you mean uncertainty over the line-up? The team is named?

Denn Forever

QuoteHopefully we'll get a good open game that's nip 'n tuck, and then whoever wants it more will win out.

That sort of Punditry will not get you on Championship Matters.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

seafoid

Head line right now on RTE.ie

Larries salvage draw against Wexford

http://www.rte.ie/
It all started on the GAA board

Shamrock Shore

Official program makes reference to the Larries as well!

seafoid

the next thing will be a video of Eddie Murphy saying"is it because I is a Larry"