2 Spectators killed in tragic accident at the Cavan Rally

Started by give her dixie, May 27, 2012, 12:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

give her dixie

In an accident at today's Cavan Rally, 2 spectators were killed when a car crashed into a crowd of spectators.

5 others are injured.

RTE have confirmed the news

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0527/two-spectators-killed-at-cavan-stages-car-rally.html

Tragic news for their families to receive today.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Lar Naparka

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Capt Pat

Its a very dangerous spectator sport. Nobody tells you where to stand. What a pity.

Christmas Lights

My mechanic I was speaking to yesterday was going to this.

Absolute tragedy.  Such a dangerous spectator sport, everyone wants to be close to the action.

Oak Leafer

These events should never be held on public roads for a start. Complete and utter madness. How more people haven't been killed is beyond me.

God help their families.

Agent Orange

Its been a long time since anyone was killed at an Irish rally, they are usually well organised and well marshalled. What happened today was a tragic accident, nothing more. Lets hope the injured make a speedy recovery. RIP to those who werent so lucky.

ziggysego

Horrific accident. God love the families who received bad news today. Hopefully important lessons can be learned to ensure it doesn't happen in the future.
Testing Accessibility

GJL

Quote from: Oak Leafer on May 27, 2012, 09:47:25 PM
These events should never be held on public roads for a start. Complete and utter madness. How more people haven't been killed is beyond me.

God help their families.

Please refrain from commenting on such a sensitive issue when you obviously know very little about it..

A tragic freak accident. RIP.

Lecale2

J70

Quote from: Agent Orange on May 27, 2012, 10:18:06 PM
Its been a long time since anyone was killed at an Irish rally, they are usually well organised and well marshalled. What happened today was a tragic accident, nothing more. Lets hope the injured make a speedy recovery. RIP to those who werent so lucky.

Nonsense.

There was a young lad killed in 2008 in Donegal. Two marshalls killed in Donegal in 2002 by a car leaving the road. A driver killed in 2010.

It used to pass out our road years ago, but thankfully the locals got a stop put to it. It was sheer madness the rate at which they drove, not to mention the absolute wreck the roads were left in.

Tony Baloney

I took my boys to watch the local stage of the Circuit of Ireland a few weeks ago. We stood well back on a height in a field as some of the people were almost on top of the action. To be fair the apex of the bend was a no go area so at least an obvious danger zone was cordoned off.

GJL

Quote from: J70 on May 28, 2012, 12:00:26 AM

Nonsense.

There was a young lad killed in 2008 in Donegal. Two marshalls killed in Donegal in 2002 by a car leaving the road. A driver killed in 2010.

It used to pass out our road years ago, but thankfully the locals got a stop put to it. It was sheer madness the rate at which they drove, not to mention the absolute wreck the roads were left in.

I have been involved in rallying as a competitor in Ireland for 11 years. In that time I know of 7 fatalities. 2 Co-drivers, 2 Marshalls and 3 spectators.

At a rough guess, in that time, approx 150000 - 200000 have competeted and countless thousands have spectated. Motorsport is the 3rd most popular sport in Ireland. It creates Millions in revenue every year and not least in your own County of Donegal. The Donegal Rally is estimated to bring in 50000 people a year to the county who all contribute to the local economy.

No amount of money can make up for lost lives but things must be put in context. In those 11 years we have lost people to other sports including our own GAA.

Rallying is a great sport that is safe. Accidents happen but 99.99% of the time there are not even injuries never mind fatalities.

nifan

The 2 lads killed in 2002 was a terrible one. I knew one of them, Gerard, pretty well. they died a couple of weeks before our graduation and their fathers went up to pick them up for them which was very emotional.

RealSpiritof98

Quote from: GJL on May 28, 2012, 10:00:08 AM

Nonsense.

I have been involved in rallying as a competitor in Ireland for 11 years. In that time I know of 7 fatalities. 2 Co-drivers, 2 Marshalls and 3 spectators.

At a rough guess, in that time, approx 150000 - 200000 have competeted and countless thousands have spectated. Motorsport is the 3rd most popular sport in Ireland. It creates Millions in revenue every year and not least in your own County of Donegal. The Donegal Rally is estimated to bring in 50000 people a year to the county who all contribute to the local economy.

No amount of money can make up for lost lives but things must be put in context. In those 11 years we have lost people to other sports including our own GAA.

Rallying is a great sport that is safe. Accidents happen but 99.99% of the time there are not even injuries never mind fatalities.

RIP such a tragedy,

I cant however Begin to understand what the above statement is meant to support. I'm not anti-rallying/road biking etc as I feel everyperson knows what dangers he/she encounters as a fan/competitor in such sports. But I feel the above is a flawed