Tom Sullivan retires - he was some corner back !

Started by orangeman, May 17, 2012, 10:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

I love the bit in bold - how many people playing football, hurling or any sport for that matter can say that it was easy walking away from the game ?? He was a hell of a corner back. Always did his job with minimum of fuss.

FORMER Kerry defender Tom O'Sullivan has revealed that not even a plea from Kingdom manager Jack O'Connor was able to change his mind about retiring.

"I was talking to Jack late last week. He was asking if there was any way that he could twist my arm," said the 33-year-old.

"But I said it was the finish, there would be no twisting the arm this year. He probably twisted my arm for the last three years.

"Jack felt it would only take me three weeks to get fit if I put my mind to it. I agreed. But the hunger just wasn't there. I told him it was time to call it a day. I have enough given, and it's time to let the young lads step up now."

Regarded as one of the finest corner-backs of the last decade, O'Sullivan -- who played in nine All-Ireland finals, having made his Kerry senior debut back in 2000 -- says that he always knew that last season would be his final campaign in the green and gold.

"I always said last year was going to be my last. It would have been nice to go out on a high but it wasn't meant to be," he said.

"I found it difficult last year to get back into training. I went back later than in most years -- the older you get the harder it gets.

"The older you get, you should be going back to training even earlier, not later.

"It (retiring) wasn't a difficult decision. To be honest, it was an easy one to make. I just felt I have enough of it played.

"I couldn't look back on my career and say that I have any regrets because I don't. I probably won everything that the game has to offer. I was very lucky in the sense.

"That's why walking away was easy for me, I have done it all. It's time to move on."

RedandGreenSniper

Hard to argue with his point. Conor Mortimer will be relieved!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

heffo

Top class defender - made it look so easy.

Enjoy your retirement.