An Lú v An Iarmhí - 20.05.2012

Started by Ard-Rí, May 17, 2012, 01:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ard-Rí

I'm surprised there's no thread on this yet. As I see it this should be a close encounter, with either team having a chance to shade it. I'll give it to Louth though, on the assumption that they've stopped feeling sorry for themselves. I can't see either of them getting past Dubh Linn in the following round though.

Stats on their previous meetings : http://www.gaainfo.com/article.php?story=0&matchno=348&co=intercounty&year=2012
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Croí na hÉireann

Impossible to read/predict this match. Both teams defied conventional wisdom and their own supporters by avoiding relegation. Westmeath looked world beaters against Monaghan and Derry and out of their depth away from home. With the late return of the Garrycastle contingent its hard to predict the team, never mind how it will line out. Dessie's will he/won't he won't have helped matters and Glennon, Gavin and Heslin are struggling to make the team with injuries. Louth have a couple of lads out as well so while it probably will be a tight game, either team winning by up to 8 points wouldn't be a surprise. Louth will look upon Navan fondly having dispatched Eastmeed with retaliative easy in their last game but so will Westmeath. We won the Div 2 title there in 08, it's a decent open surface and is a world away from being dragged to some mucky tight pitch in Louth. This is one to avoid in a multiplier.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

All of a Sludden

The Louth team to take on Westmeath in Sunday's Leinster Senior Football Championship clash has been named. Dreadnots man Liam Shevlin takes up the full back berth vacated by the absent Dessie Finnegan in the only change from the side that defeated Meath in the final round of their Allianz League Division 2 campaign. Buoyed by this victory in Páirc Tailteann, Louth return to Navan to face a Westmeath team who have their Garrycastle contingent available after their All-Ireland Club commitments.

The starting XV is as follows:

NEIL GALLAGHER, CICEAMS CHUAILGHNE
PADRAIG RATH, DREADNOTS CEANN CLOCHAIR
LIAM SHEVLIN, DREADNOTS CEANN CLOCHAIR
GERARD HOEY, NA GEARALTAIGH
RAY FINNEGAN, NAOMH PADRAIG
JAMIE CARR, GORMAITHE BAILE NUA
DECLAN BYRNE, NAOMH MOCHTA
PADDY KEENAN, NAOMH PADRAIG
RONAN CARROLL, NAOMH MHUIRE
DEREK CRILLY, NA GAEIL, DUN DEALGAN
MARK BRENNAN, NAOMH SILBHEASTAIR
ADRIAN REID, RAONAITHE MÁITEOIGE
DEREK MAGUIRE, EIRE ÓG DUN DEALGAN
JIM MC ENEANEY, NA GEARALTAIGH
DARREN CLARKE , NAOMH SILBHEASTAIR
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Keane

Any word on Westmeath's lineup yet?

Croí na hÉireann

G Connaughton (capt);
M Curley, J Gaffey, K Maguire;
D Harte, M Ennis, D McDermott;
P Bannon, J Heslin;
K Martin G Egan, J Dolan;
Denis Glennon, David Glennon, P Sharry.

Kieran Gavin a big loss, don't know how fit Glennon the elder is, Bannon and Heslin also carrying injuries. A lot riding on this game for Pat Flanagan, he has one victory against Mickla to show for two championship summers, can't seem him there next year if he looses this despite two relatively successful league campaigns. Looking forward to it, can't beat championship days out.

Louth Exile

Nothing like some Meath Newbie tellin us to stop feeling sorry for ourselves  ::)
You just worry about your division 3 counterparts next week  ;D

Anyway, the matter in hand. I agree with Croi's first post, particularly the opening line. Navan no longer holds any fears for Louth with the might game against Tyrone in 06 and the brilliant win over the Lillies in 10 being two championship highlights. If Louth do win this game it should hopefully show that they have matured as a team.

I am expecting a tight but not overly entertaining affair as our numerous clashes over recent years have tended to be. A good game on a fine day be a bonus! Even better would be a win, however, there really is so little between these sides and we have won the last five meetings in the last five years, I think the midlanders are due one! Hope I'm wrong

PS: Despite what I said about the quality of our recent meetings, I still would have thought that this or the Laois v Longford games would have been better for the telly. Who really wants to watch Kerry going through the paces against Tipp!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Bill Haven

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 18, 2012, 01:51:21 PM
G Connaughton (capt);
M Curley, J Gaffey, K Maguire;
D Harte, M Ennis, D McDermott;
P Bannon, J Heslin;
K Martin G Egan, J Dolan;
Denis Glennon, David Glennon, P Sharry.

Kieran Gavin a big loss, don't know how fit Glennon the elder is, Bannon and Heslin also carrying injuries. A lot riding on this game for Pat Flanagan, he has one victory against Mickla to show for two championship summers, can't seem him there next year if he looses this despite two relatively successful league campaigns. Looking forward to it, can't beat championship days out.

Losing Gavin is massive alright. Gaffey and Curley together looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Bad news if the midfielders aren't fully fit too. Keenan has run riot in the last two meetings. Need to get a grip on him to have any sort of chance.

Both forward lines look capable of racking up big scores against those defences. Could go either way.

Just hope Westmeath really go for it. I don't think a defensive system will be any use in this match-up. Need to play to our own strengths.

Ard-Rí

QuoteNothing like some Meath Newbie telling us to stop feeling sorry for ourselves  ::)

I said no such thing. It means nothing to me whether you win or lose against Westmeath.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Onlooker

Just to point out, Louth Exile, that Tipperary and Kerry are not playing until Sunday week, so that is not what is stopping the Louth/Westmeath game being on TV.

All of a Sludden

The injury time goal was Louths only score from play in the second half. You would have to say that Louth didn't really deserve to win that one, but we have had more than our share of bad luck and dodgy decisions over the years, so we'll take that one.
Ronan Carroll was Louths best player today, but John Heslin was my man of the match and was unlucky to end up on the losing side.

Louth: R Carroll 1-02, D Clarke 0-04 (0-03f), D O'Connor 1-00, D Crilly 0-02, R Finnegan 0-01

All of a Sludden

Louth Exile

Ronan is back doing what he does best, stretching out the long legs and running straight at defences
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Croí na hÉireann

Threw that game away, a lot of lads unfortunately didn't show up but we still should have won it. We were all at sea at the back in the first half, it took the sideline until half time to figure out that Louth were dragging Sharry out of position and attacking us down the center. They carved us open on a number of occasions and could have had four goals, never mind the one. Louth on the other hand were getting bodies behind the ball and not only were they not coughing up goal chances but we really had to work for our points.

Glennon had one of those infuriating days of his. If he wasn't kicking the ball well wide, he was not taking the shot when it was on, not giving the easy pass and at times simply dropping the f**king ball. He hasn't played so poorly since Thurles in 05. I know he was carrying an injury into the game but that didn't excuse him admonishing his teammates after a very decent ball in to him or stop him bending down to grasp a tuft of grass to throw in to the air as if some magic puff of wind had taken his shot of course. I believe he was in the Star on Saturday whinging about how his boot allowance doesn't cover the cost of his €180 predators, well he could have had laser sight boots on him standing on the 6 yard line yesterday and he still wouldn't have scored. Like I said, infuriating.

Referee wasn't the worst, couple of unreal decisions he didn't give, one being where David Glennon had to go off in a neck brace (hope Davy's alright, horrible to see someone taken from the field like that) and not only was Hoey not carded but a free wasn't even given, unbelievable. Still wasn't the difference though, I thought a lot of lads didn't offer enough. Egan and Dolan have had much better games in the maroon jersey. Maguire was the pick of the backs but he will be haunted for letting Carroll in along the endline at the end, a very tough lesson. Heslin was offensively brilliant, took some lovely points, delivered some inch perfect balls and lorded the skies. Had a great battle with Keenan all day. He was poor defensively in the first half and didn't track back enough but improved in that department in the second half.

Harsh lesson learned for all involved, hopefully that will bond them and they'll decide to give the qualifiers a right rattle. There's the makings of a good team there.

Louth Exile

I thought the ref had a very good first half, there were periods in the second where he didn't help either side, but overall I wouldn't have said he made any signifcant decisions that affected the result. I think you are being very harsh on Hoey though Croi, I have watched it back on a few occassions on the player. I didn't see any malice in the challenge at the time and I fail to see it now either. It was indeed unfortunate to see any player stretchered from the field and I would wish Glennon well in his recovery as I'm sure that all in Louth will, but I don't think there is anything to suggest that Hoey set out to cause harm.

When Glennon burst away from Shevlin in the opening minutes the signs were ominous, thankfully from a Louth point of view he did have an afternoon that frustrated Westmeath fans.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Louth Exile on May 21, 2012, 01:48:51 PM
I wouldn't have said he made any signifcant decisions that affected the result.

Agreed. Another unbelievable decision he didn't give (where Egan was bearing down on goal and a Louth player literally mounted him and hung on like a rodeo) we still managed to work the ball back and got a point out of it. I still find it hard to believe he let that go though.

Quote from: Louth Exile on May 21, 2012, 01:48:51 PM
I think you are being very harsh on Hoey though Croi, I have watched it back on a few occassions on the player. I didn't see any malice in the challenge at the time and I fail to see it now either. It was indeed unfortunate to see any player stretchered from the field and I would wish Glennon well in his recovery as I'm sure that all in Louth will, but I don't think there is anything to suggest that Hoey set out to cause harm.

Have to disagree with you there LE, Hoey came through the back of him and pulled wildly with a closed fist high across him. At least a yellow and that was from the back of the stand. Those who were near the incident at the wire are altogether more incensed.

Quote from: Louth Exile on May 21, 2012, 01:48:51 PMWhen Glennon burst away from Shevlin in the opening minutes the signs were ominous, thankfully from a Louth point of view he did have an afternoon that frustrated Westmeath fans.

We said to take him off after that. We were only half joking.