Predict the 2012 Ulster SFC winners

Started by BennyCake, May 16, 2012, 12:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win the 2012 Ulster Senior Football Championship?

Antrim
7 (8.3%)
Armagh
11 (13.1%)
Cavan
5 (6%)
Derry
6 (7.1%)
Donegal
12 (14.3%)
Down
7 (8.3%)
Fermanagh
5 (6%)
Monaghan
2 (2.4%)
Tyrone
29 (34.5%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Voting closed: May 20, 2012, 12:44:05 AM

JP

The winners won't come from the Armagh vs Tyrone game if Armagh win. We're capable of beating Tyrone, we're not capable of putting 3 back to back wins in Ulster!! Its been awhile since Armagh put in 2 good displays in a row in the championship. I fancy Tyrone or Down.

omagh_gael

Agree that Ronan O'Neill wouldn't have been a quarter but would be pretty sure he would have made a serious addition as an impact sub. Kyle is a huge loss as those last few games saw him back to the level he was with the minors in 08. His presence would also been a great foil for SoN and Mugsy. 

Oak Leafer

Shawshank,

Where in my post did i say my assessment was based on the last 12 years?

Read the subject of the thread, the clue is in around the '2012' bit! ;-)

shawshank

Quote from: Oak Leafer on May 16, 2012, 03:56:50 PM
Shawshank,

2012 bit???? Beat a joke of a Fermanagh team that Londan beat, played one good game against Armagh(which Derry can always do), but putting two or the three big games together that will result in an Ulster senior title, where the feck have you been living??!!1

Oak Leafer

Your getting yourself in a bit of a tangle!

12 years now 2/3 big games in a row, i said any of them could beat each other on the day, no mention of Derry winning Ulster!

I suggest you sit back, take a deep breath, and read my original post again.  ;)

eviemonkey

I backed Down last year, fell at the first hurdle. They could hardly have hand-picked a better draw this time around with the big boys on the other side of the draw. Coulter is a loss, but Hughes is just as important in my eyes and if he is available, with one or both of Rogers and Gordan they should have enough to progress to a provincial decider when Coulter might return.

Armagh would be my idea of Ulster winners in 2012, but the draw is horrible. Can they really win three coin-flip games against, let's say Tyrone, Donegal and Down? It is a big ask, and likewise for Tyrone if they come out of Armagh with a win. Donegal are difficult to beat as we know and Derry could be dangerous with some of their forwards back as well.

In conclusion I actually have no idea who is going to come out of that side of the draw, so I will vote for Down. (who will probably lose to Monaghan)  ;)

Down it is. Final answer.

nrico2006

I'm actually glad the League final performance has seemingly taken the favourites tag away from Tyrone.  The League final performance was not representative of the football they have played this year and I see them winning Ulster.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

shawshank

Quote from: Oak Leafer on May 16, 2012, 03:56:50 PM
Shawshank,

Thats true, you didn't.

This is what you said

Quote from: Oak Leafer on May 16, 2012, 10:49:47 AM
In my eyes, there is very little between Donegal, Tyrone, Down, Armagh and Derry. Therefore on their day, any of these teams could beat each other. I just wouldn't be having a bet!

I would like you to explain how, based on what I have seen this year, and the past four years how Derry could beat Donegal or Tyrone., and maybe more importantly how you figure there is little between Donegal, Tyrone or Derry. I would accept your analysis in relation to Derry and Armagh.

Keane

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 17, 2012, 08:29:50 AM
I'm actually glad the League final performance has seemingly taken the favourites tag away from Tyrone.  The League final performance was not representative of the football they have played this year and I see them winning Ulster.

I think the league final was a lot closer to their level than the hysteria about them before that game was suggesting.

D2's standard, outside Kildare, is absolutely awful, and Kildare looked very comfortable dispatching Tyrone when they sent a full team out against them.

Captain Obvious

All the talk is about Donegal or Tyrone. If Armagh win their first game that will give them the confidence to go on and win Ulster.

J70

They're not the best team, but I think Down would have to be fancied, given their easier path to the final. Once there, they'd have a good chance against any of the other teams.

If Donegal win it, they'll have to beat Cavan, Derry and Tyrone/Armagh just to make the final. They're well capable of doing that, as last year showed, but there's plenty of room for having an off day or a few injuries and going out.

EC Unique

Quote from: J70 on May 18, 2012, 05:06:37 PM

They're not the best team, but I think Down would have to be fancied, given their easier path to the final. Once there, they'd have a good chance against any of the other teams.

If Donegal win it, they'll have to beat Cavan, Derry and Tyrone/Armagh just to make the final. They're well capable of doing that, as last year showed, but there's plenty of room for having an off day or a few injuries and going out.

or getting beat by a better team.

J70

Quote from: EC Unique on May 18, 2012, 07:02:08 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 18, 2012, 05:06:37 PM

or getting beat by a better team.

Well that remains to be seen. No one stands out right now.

mylestheslasher

I think the standard in Ulster is lower than before which means the competition is exciting. I go for down this year.