USFC: Armagh v Tyrone @ MAG. 10/6/12

Started by our_fella, May 15, 2012, 01:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puskas

Are the Athletic Grounds the best ground in Ulster at the moment? Who'd have thunk it a few years back.   

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Orchardman

Quote from: puskas on June 15, 2012, 02:09:56 PM
Are the Athletic Grounds the best ground in Ulster at the moment? Who'd have thunk it a few years back.

i think it seems a great wee spot, but is it any different from newry and brewster park for example, they seem a similar type of ground.

wouldn't be big enuf for ulster final i would have thought, it'l be clones again

armaghniac

i think it seems a great wee spot, but is it any different from newry and brewster park for example, they seem a similar type of ground.

It is nearer the centre of town than Omagh and the covered terrace is good.
And the cathedrals look well in the TV coverage. 

Quotewouldn't be big enuf for ulster final i would have thought, it'l be clones again

It might have done for Derry v Fermanagh, but I'm not expecting that combination any year soon. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Throw ball

Quote from: Orchardman on June 15, 2012, 08:38:19 PM
Quote from: puskas on June 15, 2012, 02:09:56 PM

wouldn't be big enuf for ulster final i would have thought, it'l be clones again

From a biased point of view. It is miles better than Brewster Park. Newry has a poor location and ok stand. The terracing in Newry is a long way better though. Although it has a small stand I like Celtic Park. Omagh is fairly good and I like Cavan. Exiting the stand in Ballybofey can be tough. Casement needs an overhaul. Clones ok. So foe me MAG is currently the best - and I can walk to it from home so that always helps!

Tyrone Dreamer

Athletic grounds is currently the best ground in ulster. Great for watching games and I think the covering on the terrace helps the atmosphere. Everyone seems to be close to the pitch and the pitch itself is good. A lot of grounds done up should have been done in the same manner.

under the bar

Morgans Diesel Field would not be even close to Casement as regards playing surface.  Casement is best in ulster if not ireland.

stew

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on June 16, 2012, 12:51:32 PM
Athletic grounds is currently the best ground in ulster. Great for watching games and I think the covering on the terrace helps the atmosphere. Everyone seems to be close to the pitch and the pitch itself is good. A lot of grounds done up should have been done in the same manner.

Bullshit, Casement is, I waled casement the last time I was home and casement is by far the best field outside of Croke Park.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Tyrone Dreamer

I never said Athletics grounds had best pitch in Ulster. I said it had a good pitch. Overall I feel its the best ground in Ulster.

Cold tea

Quote from: stew on June 18, 2012, 12:35:05 AM
Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on June 16, 2012, 12:51:32 PM

Bullshit, Casement is, I waled casement the last time I was home and casement is by far the best field outside of Croke Park.

Have you been in the Athletic grounds since it has been done up Stew, it really is a million light years away from when Armagh's famous comback against Fermanagh the early 90's!

Fuzzman

I don't intend to sh*t stir with this post but I was just curious about the great rivalry between Armagh and Tyrone over the past decade as its 10 years now since Armagh's AI win.

Having read an article last month in the Irish Times or Indo about how Armagh's view of that Conor Gormley block in 2003 changed the whole landscape for both Tyrone and Armagh GAA, I thought I'd have a look at the results between the two teams for the last 10 or so years.
The article (I think Paul Grimley) said something to the effect that had that block not have been successful then Armagh would have won 2 in a row and could have went on to dominate the noughties with further titles rather than having only the 1 All-Ireland to show for such a great team.
Thanks to wiki, here are the results.

2000   Tyrone   0-08 v  Armagh   0-12   4 points win by Armagh
2001    Armagh   1-09 v  Tyrone   1-14   5 points win by Tyrone but Derry come back to haunt us in 1/4 final
2002   Armagh   1-12 v   Tyrone   1-12   Draw
Replay   Armagh   2-13 v   Tyrone   0-16   3 point win by Armagh - Tyrone nearly stole it but Thornton missed a goal
2003   Tyrone   0-12 v   Armagh   0-09   3 point win by Tyrone - Armagh nearly stole it but McDonnell missed a goal
2005   Armagh   2-08 v    Tyrone   0-14   Draw - Tyrone dominant game but Armagh make great comeback
Replay   Armagh   0-13 v   Tyrone   0-11   Armagh win by 2 in a very controversial game
Semi   Tyrone   1-13 v   Armagh  1-12   Tyrone win by 1 with a very controversial free near the end.
2009    Tyrone   2-10 v   Armagh   1-10   3 point win for Tyrone in Ulster 1/4
2011   Tyrone   2-13 v   Armagh   0-13   6 points win by Tyrone in round 3 of the Qualifiers
2012   Armagh   1-13 v   Tyrone    0-19   Tyrone win by 3 points in a high scoring open game

So over 13 years the 2 teams have met 11 times with 2 replays
Tyrone have won 6, Armagh have won 3 with 2 draws. Armagh won both replays.
Prior to 2000, they both met back in 1997 as well with Tyrone winning Tyrone 1-12 to 0-12.

No doubt now that I've highlighted Tyrone's dominance over Armagh over the last decade, I have set us up nicely for them to come back and teach us a lesson in the back door after our Donegal game. ;-)

I don't think we've met Donegal half as many times in the last 12 years but could they be the new force in Ulster for the next decade? With such a deep thinking manager, a great system already devised and bought into by all and of course talented forwards such as McFadden, Murphy and McBrearty, I think the future is no longer "Orange" but yellow.

Fear ón Srath Bán

You're some sh*t-stirrer Fuzz  ;)

Though you have a point, about the yellow future!  :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Armamike

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 20, 2012, 11:14:35 AM
I don't intend to sh*t stir with this post but I was just curious about the great rivalry between Armagh and Tyrone over the past decade as its 10 years now since Armagh's AI win.

Having read an article last month in the Irish Times or Indo about how Armagh's view of that Conor Gormley block in 2003 changed the whole landscape for both Tyrone and Armagh GAA, I thought I'd have a look at the results between the two teams for the last 10 or so years.
The article (I think Paul Grimley) said something to the effect that had that block not have been successful then Armagh would have won 2 in a row and could have went on to dominate the noughties with further titles rather than having only the 1 All-Ireland to show for such a great team.
Thanks to wiki, here are the results.

2000   Tyrone   0-08 v  Armagh   0-12   4 points win by Armagh
2001    Armagh   1-09 v  Tyrone   1-14   5 points win by Tyrone but Derry come back to haunt us in 1/4 final
2002   Armagh   1-12 v   Tyrone   1-12   Draw
Replay   Armagh   2-13 v   Tyrone   0-16   3 point win by Armagh - Tyrone nearly stole it but Thornton missed a goal
2003   Tyrone   0-12 v   Armagh   0-09   3 point win by Tyrone - Armagh nearly stole it but McDonnell missed a goal
2005   Armagh   2-08 v    Tyrone   0-14   Draw - Tyrone dominant game but Armagh make great comeback
Replay   Armagh   0-13 v   Tyrone   0-11   Armagh win by 2 in a very controversial game
Semi   Tyrone   1-13 v   Armagh  1-12   Tyrone win by 1 with a very controversial free near the end.
2009    Tyrone   2-10 v   Armagh   1-10   3 point win for Tyrone in Ulster 1/4
2011   Tyrone   2-13 v   Armagh   0-13   6 points win by Tyrone in round 3 of the Qualifiers
2012   Armagh   1-13 v   Tyrone    0-19   Tyrone win by 3 points in a high scoring open game

So over 13 years the 2 teams have met 11 times with 2 replays
Tyrone have won 6, Armagh have won 3 with 2 draws. Armagh won both replays.
Prior to 2000, they both met back in 1997 as well with Tyrone winning Tyrone 1-12 to 0-12.

No doubt now that I've highlighted Tyrone's dominance over Armagh over the last decade, I have set us up nicely for them to come back and teach us a lesson in the back door after our Donegal game. ;-)

I don't think we've met Donegal half as many times in the last 12 years but could they be the new force in Ulster for the next decade? With such a deep thinking manager, a great system already devised and bought into by all and of course talented forwards such as McFadden, Murphy and McBrearty, I think the future is no longer "Orange" but yellow.

I don't intend to shit stir with this post but......you did.
That's just, like your opinion man.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

RealSpiritof98

worst attempt of a WUM yet, we all know the shit u dick!!!