Lar is back...

Started by CorkMan, May 13, 2012, 07:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkMan

http://www.tippsupportersclub.com/lar-corbett-returns-to-tipp-sh-panel/

Is this an official site? I'm doubtful he actually is back considering he hasn't trained with Thurles Sarsfields yet. Can anyone confirm this?

Two Hands FFS

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=168698

Tipp delight as Lar returns
13 May 2012

Lar Corbett has come out of retirement ahead of Tipperary's Munster SHC opener against Limerick in two weeks' time.

The Thurles Sarsfields sharpshooter shocked the hurling world when he announced his inter-county retirement at the age of 30 in February, citing working commitments as his reason for doing so. But he has now decided to reverse his decision in what is a massive boost to the Premier County.

A statement on the Tipperary GAA website this evening read: "Tipperary Senior Hurling Manager Declan Ryan and Tipperary County Board are pleased to announce the return of Lar Corbett to the Tipperary Senior Hurling panel.

"Over the last few months Lar has been heavily involved in developing his business activities and is now once again in a position to give the necessary commitment to being a member of the panel. Lar will recommence training with the panel immediately."

orangeman

Bord na Mona man

Tipp will be glad to have him back, but I wonder how sharp he'll be?
He never struck me as a natural stickman in the purest sense and I get the feeling he'd need a good bit of sharpening up.

johnneycool

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on May 13, 2012, 09:10:19 PM
He never struck me as a natural stickman in the purest sense and I get the feeling he'd need a good bit of sharpening up.

First game in two weeks as well. If he hasn't hurled with his club as Corkman says then its hard to see him being anything other than way off the mark.

giving him any sort of game time against Limerick would be some kick in the nads for other lads who've trained all winter.

Premier Emperor

Great to have Lar back. I always thought he'd be back, but I was starting to get doubts.
He has about 3 months to get back to his best.
Plenty of time!

CorkMan

Quote from: johnneycool on May 14, 2012, 08:33:42 AM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on May 13, 2012, 09:10:19 PM

First game in two weeks as well. If he hasn't hurled with his club as Corkman says then its hard to see him being anything other than way off the mark.

giving him any sort of game time against Limerick would be some kick in the nads for other lads who've trained all winter.

I'm not too sure has he trained with the club yet. I heard from some friends in Thurles about 2 weeks ago that he had yet to go back training with Sarsfields. Can't see him getting any game time against Limerick. If he is to get back on the team, who do you replace? Brian O'Meara, it seems to me, would be the one to lose out but him and Pa Bourke were Tipps two best forwards during the league imo.

Yeah

Doubt he will be able to get back to the level he was at 18months ago, but hes still fit so you never know, on his day is a nice wristy hurler.
Gods Country= Glenshesk, North Antrim!!

Asal Mor

Limerick six points up against Tipp at the moment. I'd say Ryan will be gone before the week is out if Tipp can't turn it around.

Minder

Limerick aren't far enough ahead after dominating so far, could be a sting I the tail for them
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Asal Mor

Well called Minder. Looks like Ryan won't be going anywhere yet.

johnneycool

Quote from: Asal Mor on May 27, 2012, 05:31:56 PM
Well called Minder. Looks like Ryan won't be going anywhere yet.

Better teams than Limerick won't let Tipp off the hook like that.

Limerick played very well, blocked, harried Tipp the whole way, got a few calls going their way as there looked to be a certain free/penalty on one of the Tipp lads early in the first half, but that's the luck of it. They possibly lacked that bit of killer instinct as Mulcahy, who'd a great game, had beaten his man, was bearing down on goal with a man to  his left, but decided to pop it over the bar, Tipp went down the field shortly after and got the goal.

Tipp will be relieved as a defeat would almost certainly mean Kilkenny in a semi-final rather than a final and Limerick will go into the qualifiers hoping to get a good run going and a bit of belief in the squad.

Good game to watch for the neutral.

AZOffaly

Very enjoyable game, and great atmosphere over in Thurles yesterday. Scorching Day, Ice Cream and a championship double header. It's a great little country.

Tipp looked very unsure of themselves for large periods of that game, and but for the work of their backs they'd have been out of it. Conor O'Mahoney, particularly, and Padraic Maher became very prominent when Limerick started to run out of gas, but even before that their work, and that of Mickey Cahill and Paul Curran was all that was keeping Tipp going.

The Tipp forwards were very poor, Noel McGrath looks a shadow of himself, and they will not win an All Ireland with a half forward line of Gearoid Ryan Noel McGrath and Pa Bourke. James Woodlock and Brendan Maher were also off the pace in midfield.

It really took the substitutions, and especially the Shane McGrath and Bonner Maher introductions to really shake things up, because up until then Tipps attack was very blunt. They will also need Seamie Callinan to come good if they want a long summer, and they need Lar's goal threat. However when you add Lar, Maher and a fit Callinan to that forward lineup, then it starts to look interesting alright.

Limerick hurled very well. They were always going to be up for it against Tipp, and they have very nippy forwards. Dowling looks promising, and Declan Hannon will be a big lift when he's fit. Downes is gone back a little bit, but he's young and will come again. It was noticeable that Limerick started to run out of gas about 15 minutes out, and really, even though Limerick were leading, you always felt there was only one winner when Tipp got it back to 3 points.

Limerick, on that form, would be dangerous for any team in the qualifiers though. Seamus Hickey will be a big boost as well when he comes back.

orangeman

Quote from: Minder on May 27, 2012, 05:18:27 PM
Limerick aren't far enough ahead after dominating so far, could be a sting I the tail for them

Excellent call Minder.

Turned out to be a decent game.

Ref wasn't fond of blowing the whistle.

CitySlicker11

Thinking back on this game, free-takers standing over the ball preparing to hit a free is a memory I struggle to recollect. This is an example of refereeing that others should be following. Everyone enjoys a good full back / forward tussle, no need to be blowing up for penalties too regularly. Great start to the Munster SHC, can't wait for Cork v Tipp, could be game of the year.