Aussie police concerned about antisocial irish email GAA Clubs

Started by umgolaarmagh, May 09, 2012, 01:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Perth police warn Irish immigrants about bad behaviour

Young Irish people visiting the Australian city of Perth are being warned about anti-social behaviour Police in the Australian city of Perth have enlisted the help of GAA clubs to help combat bad behaviour among young Irish immigrants.

An email sent by St Finbarr's GAC to its members said police were "extremely unhappy and appalled by the anti-social behaviour which is taking place all too often on the streets and in the pubs across Perth and its suburbs".

It said Western Australia Police had told them they would be visiting clubs in the city to "get the message across to all Irish in Perth that what has been going on is just not acceptable, and if it continues there will be consequences".

"If individuals don't abide by the law, and take heed of move on notices, their visas will firstly be investigated, before court action, meaning that deportation would be the final conclusion," it added.

The club urged its members to "spread the work to your fellow Irish, as this is affecting all of our reputations here not only the people who are causing the trouble".

A police inspector said although there were reports that Irish visitors were involved in a disproportionate number of offences, they were "only one nationality in a number associated with the backpacker scene where further targeted activities are planned to increase awareness of local liquor licensing and criminal laws".

Inspector Paul Steel told the West Australian newspaper: "It is clear that there are some significant differences in the policing of licensed premises in Australia to those in Ireland.

"In particular the liquor infringement and move on notices are not widely understood, and the purpose of the community level engagement was to target education at an area where this crime prevention advice was deemed appropriate."

The email sent to St Finbarr's members also said rental agencies were reluctant to let properties to Irish people "as they are getting destroyed during parties, and being left in terrible conditions once vacated".

Aerlik

::)
Nothing like an attention-grabbing inaccurate headline.

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Its funny most of the undesirables I came across in Perth were of the local Bogan variety. I suppose blame the foreigners, works in every country.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

stew

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 09, 2012, 05:33:33 PM
Its funny most of the undesirables I came across in Perth were of the local Bogan variety. I suppose blame the foreigners, works in every country.

I blame the yanks, sure arent they the easiest target!  :o

if Irish tramps, or for that matter any countries tramps are wrecking about Australia and ruining peoples property then fcuk them, I am appalled the law is not already clamping down  on hoors who party like rock stars and destroy property, I know what that is like, I rent out property and have done for four years, some of these cnuts should be shot ffs.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: stew on May 09, 2012, 06:24:46 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 09, 2012, 05:33:33 PM

I blame the yanks, sure arent they the easiest target!  :o

if Irish tramps, or for that matter any countries tramps are wrecking about Australia and ruining peoples property then fcuk them, I am appalled the law is not already clamping down  on hoors who party like rock stars and destroy property, I know what that is like, I rent out property and have done for four years, some of these cnuts should be shot ffs.

Perth Bogans

http://www.perthnow.com.au/travel/travel-bible-paints-unpretty-picture-of-perth/story-e6frg3tu-1226087476492
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

lawnseed

i believe in the birch. take them out to a public place take their pants down and get the biggest mofo in oz to tan their ass. it worked in the isle of man when the paddys were wrecking the place.
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

umgolaarmagh

from the report in the echo i reckon the headline is fairly accurate (aerlik)

Aerlik

Quote from: umgolaarmagh on May 10, 2012, 09:41:08 AM
from the report in the echo i reckon the headline is fairly accurate (aerlik)

Trust me on this one, the cops did not email the clubs.  Instead, one of the clubs emailed its members. AlriteHorse will back me on that one. The Echo has taken a wee bit of a slant on the actual facts.  But the fact is the message is getting out.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

lfdown2

Talking about attention grabbing the BBC NI tweet regarding the story was;

"Aussie GAA club bad behaviour warning..."

Hardy

Talking to the son in Perth just now - he makes the valid point that it's not the lads in GAA clubs the cops need to be addressing themselves to. The worrying thing is that the Aussie cops don't seem to be able to make a distinction between the low-lifes causing the problems and the Irish community in general, which means that the general public probably can't either.

[Edit - sorry - just saw Aerlik's post, so it seems there's been some misreporting. It's still a worry, though, that the entire Irish community will suffer from the gurrierism of the few.]

AlriteHorse

The media is completely sensationalising this and have totally missed the point. There is an increase in Anti-Social behaviour in certain areas of Perth but it's not just Irish. The police approached a few clubs, my own included, as they seen it as the best way to raise awareness in the Irish community.

I'm not going to sit here and slag off other nationalities etc but it's very dissappointing when papers like the irish Times and Irish Echo are highlighting and sensationalising this.
Allez les bleus! Forza azzurri!

Captain Scarlet

surely that's racial profiling?
like so if an irish lad has a few jars and is tippin home will he be treated more severely than someone else??
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

orangeman

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 17, 2012, 11:01:06 AM
surely that's racial profiling?like so if an irish lad has a few jars and is tippin home will he be treated more severely than someone else??

It is. Happens most places.

If one race / nationality gets a bad name, of course the cops / civil authorities are going to come down harder on that section of people. 2 wrongs don't make a right etc etc .........