Time to move on? PSNI involved in Road Safety Campaign shocker

Started by Jim_Murphy_74, April 28, 2012, 11:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

This was not a protest by republicans. It's a reaction to recent events in the area that have left feelings a little raw between the locals and the PSNI. I'd imagine 6 months ago this would've passed off without mention. I'd also imagine that in 6 months it might be calm.

If the church/local Lithuanians had anger the locals in one way or another and had then asked to use the GAA grounds a couple of months later there'd probably be a protest of sort (or a request to postpone the event) to vent the anger caused by the initial incident.

Derrytresk is definitely not a no-go area for PSNI.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Quote from: Hardy on April 29, 2012, 07:27:23 PM
What business of "Republicans" is it to interfere in the activities of the GAA?  What other group of GAA members takes its politics into GAA meeting rooms? What other group drags the GAA into its politics?

Basic Aim
The Association is a National Organisation which has as its basic aim the strengthening of the National Identity in a 32 County Ireland through the preservation and promotion of Gaelic Games and pastimes.

armaghniac

QuoteThe Association is a National Organisation which has as its basic aim the strengthening of the National Identity in a 32 County Ireland through the preservation and promotion of Gaelic Games and pastimes.

has this episode assisted in the preservation and promotion of Gaelic Games and pastimes?

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

Quote from: armaghniac on April 30, 2012, 01:08:41 AM
QuoteThe Association is a National Organisation which has as its basic aim the strengthening of the National Identity in a 32 County Ireland through the preservation and promotion of Gaelic Games and pastimes.

has this episode assisted in the preservation and promotion of Gaelic Games and pastimes?

Bloody good question.  This incident has hampered the effort to promote Gaelic sports by bringing unwelcome negative publicity to the organization and undermining its efforts to reach out to the unionist community.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: theticklemister on April 29, 2012, 09:06:38 PM
Normalisation of British rule, yes that does worry me.

Perhaps you yearn for the good old days when the news every night was one bomb alert and shooting after another.

People like you make me sick.

ONeill

Quote from: armaghniac on April 30, 2012, 01:08:41 AM

All I'm doing is highlighting the inextricable link between the GAA and politics in its own rule book.

sheamy

O'Neill is correct. The GAA is hugely political, especially in the North.

I would even go as far as to say Ulster GAA is being deliberately political. What those politics are you can make your own mind up on. There's alot of agendas at play here.

Go to the Ulster GAA website and look at the six most recent news items

http://ulster.gaa.ie/news/

Feile Uladh 2012 Update
Reduced Ticket Prices for Championship
CĂșchulainn Cup improves Relations
DSD Minister launches Funding Boost
Local Churches and GAA Join in Garvagh

Handball O'Neill's Irish Nationals

50% of them are completely political. I'm not saying they aren't positive, quite the opposite. I'm just making the point that it is the GAA who are being political and pushing their own agenda.

So to answer Hardy's question around which group brings politics into the GAA, the answer is the major trafficker of politics is the GAA itself. And not just into the meeting rooms. Into every media outlet in Ulster and beyond.

theticklemister

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 30, 2012, 01:45:46 AM

Perhaps you yearn for the good old days when the news every night was one bomb alert and shooting after another.

Yet again I will say I did not say anything of the sort and you are the second person to bring this up so I say to you 'why are YOU thinking these things?'

Why do people believe that being Republican minded is being supportive of an armed struggle?

Quote from: Hardy on April 30, 2012, 12:22:14 AM
What business of "Republicans" is it to interfere in the activities of the GAA?  What other group of GAA members takes its politics into GAA meeting rooms? What other group drags the GAA into its politics?

By the way, what is your proposal for policing the no-go areas you seem to want to set up?

Yer first point is somehow mind boggling, as there are Republicans who are members of the GAA they should have their view as much as anyone else. Yer Republicans in inverted comas is laughable, ye make out out as if these are gremlins or creatures; a lot of these people kept the GAA alive in areas.

I don't know where to start with this. Maybe I'll just ask you to address the salient point of my post, which you seem to have overlooked.

What is your "Republican" proposal for policing these no-go areas for the PSNI that you're advocating?

Sorry I missed this; that is a very good question and something that is never going to happen due to the poor support that Republicans enjoy in the vast majority of areas. This would take a huge overhaul and a sysytem that could undermine the police force by getting local people in place to implement republican principles. It happened to a fair degree of success during the War of Independence when a lot more people were in favour of the Republican position than it is now. If you don't have the will of the vast the majority of people this huge initative would never work; plus the non help of the Free State for finance and such into the 6 counties would also be a huge negative.

oisinog

Quote from: theticklemister on April 30, 2012, 08:31:53 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 30, 2012, 01:45:46 AM

Yet again I will say I did not say anything of the sort and you are the second person to bring this up so I say to you 'why are YOU thinking these things?'

Why do people believe that being Republican minded is being supportive of an armed struggle?

Quote from: Hardy on April 30, 2012, 12:22:14 AM

By the way, what is your proposal for policing the no-go areas you seem to want to set up?

Yer first point is somehow mind boggling, as there are Republicans who are members of the GAA they should have their view as much as anyone else. Yer Republicans in inverted comas is laughable, ye make out out as if these are gremlins or creatures; a lot of these people kept the GAA alive in areas.

I don't know where to start with this. Maybe I'll just ask you to address the salient point of my post, which you seem to have overlooked.

What is your "Republican" proposal for policing these no-go areas for the PSNI that you're advocating?

Sorry I missed this; that is a very good question and something that is never going to happen due to the poor support that Republicans enjoy in the vast majority of areas. This would take a huge overhaul and a sysytem that could undermine the police force by getting local people in place to implement republican principles. It happened to a fair degree of success during the War of Independence when a lot more people were in favour of the Republican position than it is now. If you don't have the will of the vast the majority of people this huge initative would never work; plus the non help of the Free State for finance and such into the 6 counties would also be a huge negative.

So you dont support an armed republican conflict though you think the republicans should police themself.

The only policing I have ever seen Republicans do was punishment beatings and shootings.

Do people here really want to drag the country back 25 years.

If the PSNI prevent some of our younger patrons from losing there life on the road then everyone should be supporting this

bailestil

Quote from: theticklemister on April 30, 2012, 08:31:53 AM
to implement republican principles.

So what are these principles. Even just a quite oversight as to what they are.
I always understood the word republic to relate to the will of the people?

At the risk of enatcing Godwin's law.
Forcing your ideals on people is more akin to fascism. Wouldn't u agree tickle?

HiMucker

And a solid back hand played up the line by Thatcher  ;D can Tickle manage a return or will it be an unforced error!

take_yer_points

Quote from: oisinog on April 30, 2012, 09:55:56 AM
So you dont support an armed republican conflict though you think the republicans should police themself.

The only policing I have ever seen Republicans do was punishment beatings and shootings.

If the PSNI prevent some of our younger patrons from losing there life on the road then everyone should be supporting this

Stephen Nolan has a new show on BBC some night during the week - think its Tuesdays or Wednesdays. Last week they had a text poll with the question along the lines of "Do you support punishment beatings?" - if I remember correctly 57% voted Yes.

oisinog

Quote from: take_yer_points on April 30, 2012, 11:15:57 AM

Stephen Nolan has a new show on BBC some night during the week - think its Tuesdays or Wednesdays. Last week they had a text poll with the question along the lines of "Do you support punishment beatings?" - if I remember correctly 57% voted Yes.

I was thinking that when I wrote this.

There was less that 6000 votes. It would be intresting if there was a bigger cross setion of people voting on this would it be the same result.

take_yer_points

Quote from: oisinog on April 30, 2012, 11:17:52 AM

There was less that 6000 votes. It would be intresting if there was a bigger cross setion of people voting on this would it be the same result.

I thought the same myself. I thought at the time that Nolan would be praying for a majority voting Yes - extra material for the "biggest show in the country" the following morning - just the type of statistic he'd love

oisinog

Quote from: take_yer_points on April 30, 2012, 11:24:36 AM
Quote from: oisinog on April 30, 2012, 11:17:52 AM

I thought the same myself. I thought at the time that Nolan would be praying for a majority voting Yes - extra material for the "biggest show in the country" the following morning - just the type of statistic he'd love

A friend of mine said that if the people are in favour of punsihment beatings let the police carry it out.