EURO 2012

Started by CCCP1, April 26, 2012, 07:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

I just read that the 2016 euro championships will have 24 teams. Ie 3 times the number in 1988.
That sounds like round 1 of the fuball qualifiers.

thewobbler

Yep, rather sadly UEFA's response to club football's strength and prominence is to make the second most important international competion bloated, convoluted and weaker.

There's already 10 teams at the Euros who can't win it ffs.

laoislad

Great game tonight.
Some goal from Poland there
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

armaghniac

QuoteI just read that the 2016 euro championships will have 24 teams.

More than the Eurovision!

leg out when Russia was attacking and quickly up for a cracking goal.

Drive the Russians back to the Curzon line!

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ziggy90

Quote from: laoislad on June 12, 2012, 09:01:49 PM
Great game tonight.

Yeah, cracking game, it just goes to show the value of a partisan home crowd.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

seafoid

Quote from: thewobbler on June 12, 2012, 08:56:30 PM
Yep, rather sadly UEFA's response to club football's strength and prominence is to make the second most important international competion bloated, convoluted and weaker.

It's the ultimate in cynicism.
UEFA had a Euro Championship turnover of 230m in 2000 and this year it is 1.3bn
The more teams,  the more telly , the more money.

laoislad

Quote from: seafoid on June 12, 2012, 08:27:46 PM
I just read that the 2016 euro championships will have 24 teams. Ie 3 times the number in 1988.

In fairness there are far more European countries now than there was in 1988.
24 teams is a bit much though in fairness, though I suppose it might mean we qualify more often.

ziggy90

Quote from: thewobbler on June 12, 2012, 08:56:30 PM

In fairness I don't think that is a valid argument. Most competitions have entrants who have no chance of winning but that doesn't stop us enjoying the games. The tournament so far has been enjoyable football wise although I'm just looking at disturbing pictures of fighting between Polish and  Russsian "fans". I hope this shite doesn't spread but looking at the way the Police were behaving during this I would have my doubts.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

seafoid

Quote from: laoislad on June 12, 2012, 09:57:30 PM

24 teams is a bit much though in fairness, though I suppose it might mean we qualify more often.
I was thinking there are more countries alright.
12 teams would be enough really.

laoislad

Quote from: seafoid on June 12, 2012, 10:36:44 PM
Quote from: laoislad on June 12, 2012, 09:57:30 PM

I was thinking there are more countries alright.
12 teams would be enough really.

12 teams would make it awkward Group wise. 3 groups of 4? then it gets messy with semi finalists, ie is it the winners in each group with best runner up? 4 groups of 3 means only two games each which isn't ideal.
16 is a good number because you have 4 groups with first and second going into 1/4 finals.

Minus15

What will they do with 24 teams?

laoislad

Quote from: Minus15 on June 12, 2012, 10:58:21 PM
Fair point.

6 groups of 4.
Winners and Runners up = 12 + 4 best placed 3rd team through to the last 16.

John Martin

Quote from: laoislad on June 12, 2012, 11:02:33 PM
Quote from: Minus15 on June 12, 2012, 10:58:21 PM
Fair point.

6 groups of 4.
Winners and Runners up = 12 + 4 best placed 3rd team through to the last 16.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2012, 04:08:14 PM
I say we play 5 at the back, with our fastest, stickiest man marker on Xavi, and another lad on Iniesta. 3 in Midfield, all in the midde of the pitch, Walters and Long up front, and every time we get it kick the bejaysus out of it and tell Walters to 'break up the play' and Long to pick up the breaks. :D

You don't happen to manage a junior B football or hurling team in Biffo land, AZ?

Is it just me or are a lot of these teams more comfortable on the ball than the Irish lads?

Would Glen Whelan and Keith Andrews get a start for any other team in the Euro's?

the Deel Rover

Quote from: johnneycool on June 13, 2012, 09:27:17 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2012, 04:08:14 PM
I say we play 5 at the back, with our fastest, stickiest man marker on Xavi, and another lad on Iniesta. 3 in Midfield, all in the midde of the pitch, Walters and Long up front, and every time we get it kick the bejaysus out of it and tell Walters to 'break up the play' and Long to pick up the breaks. :D

You don't happen to manage a junior B football or hurling team in Biffo land, AZ?

Is it just me or are a lot of these teams more comfortable on the ball than the Irish lads?
Would Glen Whelan and Keith Andrews get a start for any other team in the Euro's?

Not a chance would they start imo. The two worse teams for holding on to possession are Ireland and England. Look at the game last night between Poland and Russia all the players were comfortable on the ball and the player in posession allways had an option to pass not just to hoof it down the pitch.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001