Jarlath Burns on GAA and Academic Selection

Started by glens abu, April 26, 2012, 10:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 28, 2012, 12:31:02 AM
Quick question.

How many secondary school teachers on here, have kids that go to Grammar schools?

I'd imagine all, as long as the child was capable. Grammars = better subjects, better teachers, better etiquette. I can't imagine why anyone would want their child doing a Media Studies A Level and heading off to university thinking they can do well.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Probably better manners and social competence so favourite for the job at KFC.

I think I've run my course here.

Line Ball

The lads from St Joseph's cannot play for St Paul's as far as I know.  I never mentioned anything about the education of these lads.  The are entitled to study where they want but the are being used by St Paul's for footballling purposes when the likes of Burns knows full well that they are not eligible to play for them.

Yet them have played them in the past, named them in programmes etc.  Very dangerous

ONeill

Schools who revel in their 'academic ethos', suddenly going all pastoral and allowing boys from local secondaries with two GCSEs in to do A Levels. (as long as they can play football, who cares if they end up with three U grades) Meanwhile, ordinary lads are told their five GCSE's aren't good enough for a place in Upper Sixth.

If this happened - why don't the teachers/parents kick up a fuss?

Tony Baloney

Where did Mr. Burns send the wanes out of interest? I'd hazard a guess at the cream of Newry's grammar system.

Dougal Maguire

Wrong again, all his kids either went to or are currently at secondary schools. I love the way you boys never let the truth get in the way of a good story. I love even more the way you are now trying to move the personal attacks onto his children
Careful now

bennydorano

Quote from: ONeill on April 28, 2012, 08:24:12 PM
Schools who revel in their 'academic ethos', suddenly going all pastoral and allowing boys from local secondaries with two GCSEs in to do A Levels. (as long as they can play football, who cares if they end up with three U grades) Meanwhile, ordinary lads are told their five GCSE's aren't good enough for a place in Upper Sixth.

If this happened - why don't the teachers/parents kick up a fuss?
St Pats in Armagh was deadly for this in my era, think they pretty much take anybody for A Levels now anyway and have done for a while.

ONeill

If my son was denied a place in a grammar because of GSCE results and I knew that someone with worse GCSE results got a place I'd campaign naked for 6 months.

Minder

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 28, 2012, 08:56:04 PM
Wrong again, all his kids either went to or are currently at secondary schools. I love the way you boys never let the truth get in the way of a good story. I love even more the way you are now trying to move the personal attacks onto his children

Who is attacking his children ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 28, 2012, 08:48:48 PM
Where did Mr. Burns send the wanes out of interest? I'd hazard a guess at the cream of Newry's grammar system.
Quote from: Minder on April 28, 2012, 09:16:50 PM

Careful now

thewobbler

Aside from being a confused and boring piece, the fact is that as VP of a comprehensive school, it's not possible for Burns to be seen as a voice of reason here.

I like Jarlath. But this article is a paranoid mess.

There is nothing in a GAA school that lifts school spirit more than the MacRory team doing well. Of course any school is going to bend the rules for players who aren't as academically strong. It is actually for the greater good of the school and not some selfish plot. Of the same note, I've absolutely no doubt that elite sports players in every school - including St Paul's - get preferential treatment. They can miss classes, take days off without investigation. They find it harder to get suspended and/or expelled.

Personally I don't believe St Colmans or the Abbey have som mad recruitment drive in place for primary school stars. Getting giant kids in first year doesn't matter a damn come MacRory time.

I've no doubt that good ones are kept at all costs. And I've no doubt that a child having a "St Colman's lineage" is impressed upon them - but in all likelihood from their fathers and grandfathers before any football coaches ever get a chance.

Paranoid like a Shinner, unfortunately.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: thewobbler on April 28, 2012, 09:27:24 PM
Aside from being a confused and boring piece, the fact is that as VP of a comprehensive school, it's not possible for Burns to be seen as a voice of reason here.

There is nothing in a GAA school that lifts school spirit more than the MacRory team doing well. Of course any school is going to bend the rules for players who aren't as academically strong. It is actually for the greater good of the school and not some selfish plot. Of the same note, I've absolutely no doubt that elite sports players in every school - including St Paul's - get preferential treatment. They can miss classes, take days off without investigation. They find it harder to get suspended and/or expelled.

Personally I don't believe St Colmans or the Abbey have som mad recruitment drive in place for primary school stars. Getting giant kids in first year doesn't matter a damn come MacRory time.

I've no doubt that good ones are kept at all costs. And I've no doubt that a child having a "St Colman's lineage" is impressed upon them - but in all likelihood from their fathers and grandfathers before any football coaches ever get a chance.

Couldn't agree more
Careful now

saffron sam2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 28, 2012, 12:31:02 AM
Quick question.

How many secondary school teachers on here, have kids that go to Grammar schools?

None that I am aware. But then I only know three. What point are you trying to make?

Ask the question again without the words "on here," in it. That might help your case.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Line Ball

Quote from: thewobbler on April 28, 2012, 09:27:24 PM

The cousins kids in the town go to St Ronan's and they get PE classes from the Abbey PE teachers, I know they are next door.  Not sure about other schools in the town or what St Colman's do for schools close to them

Minder

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 28, 2012, 09:22:02 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 28, 2012, 08:48:48 PM
Quote from: Minder on April 28, 2012, 09:16:50 PM

Is that not "attacking" Burns as opposed to his children? I would have thought he decides where he sends his children.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"