Glory Days

Started by Feckitt, April 24, 2012, 01:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feckitt

BBCNI last night had a 30 minute show from Jaeckie Fullerton about local sport in the 70s, it was mostly saccar, motorsport and Mary Peters(athlete).  It went along year by year from70 -79.

However Gaelic Games got exactly the same amount of time as tiddly winks and female wrestling(I am actually serious!!)

NAG1

snoopdog

i seen this advertised at the weekend and i didnt watch it as i knew they would have no coverage of whether they like it or not '' Northenrh Irelands'' national game.
I didnt watch it cause it would have seriously p1ssed me off. Im now getting p1ssed off thinking about it.
I dont know exact frgures but id say Gaelic Football is the biggest participant sport in the north of Ireland and it would have the biggest attendances of any sport over a calender year but they treat it with no respect whatsoever.

tbrick18

I watched it for about 5 mins and saw a 10 second clip of Derry v Dublin in the 76 (I think) AI semi final.
At that point I knew that would be the end of gaa so I turned it over.
Plus Jackie Fullerton is a dick.

Feckitt

There are probably people reading this who think "gaa got the same coverage as tiddlywinks" is a turn of phrase, or colourful exaggeration.  I am not making this up.  GAA got the same coverage as tiddlywinks, female wrestling, and boys pushing barrells down a hill in Ballycastle.

It got less coverage than Penelope and Petula playing Croquet.

No, I am not surprised, but I am wondering is this a true reflection of their attitude to GAA in the 70s or today.  The official line on GAA in the BBC is that we will give them a good radio show on Sunday(AM only) and a good Championship TV show on Sunday afternoons (when no one else is watching TV anyway), that should shut them up. But god forbid, do not mention it on non-sports programmes, news programmes or multisport programmes lest the good people of Northern Ireland be contaminated by it.

ludermor

Would they just have been showing BBC coverage in the programme? Did BBC show any GAA in the 70's ?

thejuice

I'm sure the only bit of GAA they recorded back then was from a green helicopter flying over head.

probably got the Derry game clip from RTE.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

seafoid

what year did SLF write Alternative Ulster? it was a very different statelet in the 1970s.

deiseach

Ah lads. Did ye not see the special the Beeb did a while back about the great Down team of the 1960's? I had to choke back a tear or two watching it, really brought home to me how much the GAA meant to people up North and that made taking Sam across the border that little bit more special. I presume this special last night was for and about Jackie Fullerton, and if the GAA isn't part of his sporting decade then so be it. This need for 'balance' gets tiresome

EC Unique

I seen it advertised and once I seen Jackie Fullerton was involved I knew it would not be worth watching. He is a hatefull wee bollocks.

seafoid

Presumably Distillery versus Linfield got 20 minutes

The thing about Jackie Fullerton is ni bheidh a leitheid aris ann

Tony Baloney

Did the BBC show televised coverage of GAA in the 70s? If not then it's hardly surprising there was little mention in this programme.

If they did have access to extensive coverage from the 70s I'm still not surpised!

Gazzler

For Feck sake some of you are easily offended ::)

armaghniac

QuoteDid the BBC show televised coverage of GAA in the 70s?

I seem to recall watching highlights of Ulster finals and the like.
So the answer is yes. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hardy

There was no football worth watching in the 70s.