@Steven McDonnell tweets a retirement announcement!

Started by muppet, April 12, 2012, 08:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

McGrane is Armagh's best ever player IMO - ever.

Good luck Stevie.

get up there

thanks for everthing steve, class forward, sometimes you would think he had glue on his gloves, class

Midman

Armagh may never see his likes again,always scored when the pressure was on.

Fuzzman

One of my best/worst memories of him was in the final in 03 when both Cormac and Ricey were double marking him yet he was still able to get a few points from them. Class forward that should have won more

trileacman

Greatest score I seen him take was 05 semi final v Tyrone. Took on full-back and keeper from an impossible angle and beat them both despite being fouled at the same time. Armagh had their backs to the wall and needed someone to pull something out of the bag, Stevie stepped up. Gotta respect a man for that.

Also got some unreal scores in an aussie rules match in Galway around '07(?). Match was rubbish and going nowhere when he started knocking them over from all angles.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q3wZZHJAN4

Was a more fluent move in my minds eye!  ;D Still though a great score considering the context.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

under the bar

QuoteMcGrane - bench at best

Lol!!! You joker!

Why would Tyrone have needed McGrane when we had Hub Hughes??

orangeman

Stevie was a class act and served the county with distinction - tortured defences all over the place and just when defenders thought he was bate, he still was able to stick her over the bar from some outrageous angle.

He'll be a big miss to Armagh. I thought he'd have given it another go this year, but obviously he's made his mind up.

Enjoy the retirement. You owe Armagh nothing.

oakleafgael

Interesting comments from Stevie in the I.N. this morning. Fair play to him in stepping back and giving his club a good year. The only mistake he made with Mone was that he got caught.

armaghniac

Quotehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q3wZZHJAN4

On an aside, 40secs into that video was one of the less heralded turning points of the 2005 game. After Stevie's goal Paul McGrane brilliantly intercepted a Tyrone ball and then just stumbled so that the ball went out over the line. Tyrone then got a point instead of the ball going back up the field to follow on from the goal. C'est la vie!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tonto1888

sheamy

Quote from: armaghniac on April 17, 2012, 12:11:13 PM
Quotehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q3wZZHJAN4

On an aside, 40secs into that video was one of the less heralded turning points of the 2005 game. After Stevie's goal Paul McGrane brilliantly intercepted a Tyrone ball and then just stumbled so that the ball went out over the line. Tyrone then got a point instead of the ball going back up the field to follow on from the goal. C'est la vie!

Never a free either. Cavanagh with the trademark arch of the back and dive which refs never see through. That was some game...probably best I was ever at. Armagh were slightly the best team but Tyrone just finished that wee bit stronger. McDonnell was a class act. Interesting to see him say he didn't have the hunger for the winter training this 4-5 years.