The belly is getting bigger, time to stop the rot.

Started by King Kenny, April 09, 2012, 04:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NP 76

Your right Bingo has a special juicer for wheatgrass it's supposed to be good stuff I have started to grow it also as buying it was working out very dear

JoG2

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 22, 2015, 10:45:50 AM
Got me worried folks when I see people cutting out cereal.

Is branflakes, yoghurt and orange juice bad in the mornings??

I eat away at the stuff every morning, though I think theres quite a bit of sugar in it (more than in cornflakes). Times tight in the week day mornings for throwing together scrambled eggs and toast. On toast, what bread do use, linseed? This health drive carryon is a science

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: stpauls on January 21, 2015, 05:29:19 PM
Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on January 21, 2015, 04:23:04 PM
Quote from: stpauls on January 21, 2015, 04:21:53 PM
have lost 2 stone over the last few months just by watching what i eat and using the Hairy Bikers/Dieters recipes for good healthy but very tasty meals!!

This a book you have bought?

yeah, the have 3 out now at this stage. the wife bought the 2nd one and i got the 3rd there as a secret santa present at Christmas. some very tasty, low calorie meals in them!!

Must check them out....running out of ideas!

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: Rois on January 22, 2015, 08:45:46 AM
Well I guess you could look at it as "starving" but you wouldn't get too far psychologically on the 5:2 if you did. There's some sort of scientific theory about short bursts of fasting and the effect on your body. I lost a stone and a half on it previously, back on it now. Did a "fast day" on Monday and managed to do a heavy circuits session at Rathmore. Today I'll have a subway turkey salad for lunch and probably veggie soup in the eve. It suits me because it's two hard days but 5 normal days, unlike other diets.
MR - hotels are def a killer. We're just back from a month in NZ staying mainly in hotels and eating out. Hence the need for me to do 5:2 again.

What sort of stuff do you eat on the fast days?

gallsman

Depends - if the Branflakes are some kellogs cereal off the shelf, then almost certainly yes. What type of yoghurt? Orange juice as a healthy option is a complete myth - pure sugar.

We Irish eat so much dairy it's unreal. Cutting down on milk and cheese will shed pounds in no time.

FermGael

Usually have the scrambled egg with a bit of cold fish(Salmon, Tinned Tuna, etc)
Very easy to scramble the eggs in the morning in a microwave.

Agree with the diary as well. 
I would have eaten alot of cheese. 
Changed to goats cheese. It also has helped
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Rois

Quote from: gallsman on January 22, 2015, 09:31:57 AM

I don't think there's any other way to look at it. It sounds dramatic but starvation is exactly what it is. My primary concern with it would be trying to do strenuous exercise either the day of or the day after the fast with such a calorie and carb deficit. Those circuits must have been a nightmare.
Well another typical fast day for me would be a bowl of soup at lunch and a chicken stir fry in the evening.  That's not really starvation.

I'm sure it is definitely not ideal to link the fast day with circuits but I used to do a spin class on a fast day and found it was grand if I'd taken on enough water.  I may just need to re-think the fast day though - circuits were really hard (maybe something to do with my 2 month absence), but then they're always really hard anyway.

Lots of people don't agree with 5:2, but I've gotten results, haven't felt ill and found it easy enough to stick to when I get in the way of it, so I'm a fan. 

Walter Cronc

Quote from: gallsman on January 22, 2015, 12:11:21 PM

Depends - if the Branflakes are some kellogs cereal off the shelf, then almost certainly yes. What type of yoghurt? Orange juice as a healthy option is a complete myth - pure sugar.

We Irish eat so much dairy it's unreal. Cutting down on milk and cheese will shed pounds in no time.

Yeah Kellogs Gallsman. The yoghurt is those Activia ones with fruit in them. I'll admit the juice aint prob the healthiest but I've cut out tea so need a kick from something.

Did anyone recent watch that programme on channel 4 about the worlds best diet? Theres a reason Icelandic ppl live long and look good. No processed foods and fresh fish!

gallsman

I don't buy into any of these pro-biotic yoghurts at all. Switch to Greek yoghurt - Total 0% if you can find it. Flavour with some natural vanilla or manuka honey, or a small spoon of jam. Delicious and incredibly nutritious. No carbs or fat or anything in the yoghurt and about 10g protein/100g.

Check the nutritional information on those Branflakes. I imagine a lot of carbs and sugar.

Walter Cronc

No cereal would kill me. I suppose its as much about education as anything. I wouldnt have the faintest idea about smoothies and the like. No excuse with the internet mind you.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: hardstation on January 22, 2015, 01:09:13 PM
It seems a relatively recent thing that people are trying to cut out carbs yet the likes of the eat well plate from the NHS suggests that we should be eating plenty of carbs. Is it the case that yes, cutting out carbs will help you lose weight but that you may be suffering from the lack of energy carbs give?

Who knows, these fads tend to change dramatically every couple of years.

I used to live with Italians and they ate loads of carbs. The big thing was that is different to us was they never ate rubbish or snacked between meals. Everything was also made from scratch. No processed meals.

aontroim

Cut out all wheat/grains and refined sugar, and drastically increase your (good) saturated fat intake and you'll see and feel such a difference.

More and more scientific studies moving the way of low carb, high fat diets.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on January 22, 2015, 01:09:13 PM
It seems a relatively recent thing that people are trying to cut out carbs yet the likes of the eat well plate from the NHS suggests that we should be eating plenty of carbs. Is it the case that yes, cutting out carbs will help you lose weight but that you may be suffering from the lack of energy carbs give?

Who knows, these fads tend to change dramatically every couple of years.
Year on year, fat, protein, carbs have been either good or bad. Bottom line is to use more energy than you consume regardless of what you eat. Obviously a healthy diet would be better for overall health than eating shite.

quit yo jibbajabba

have none of yous watched the Cereal Killers film/documentary?  No2 on its way also;
done by a Down man, former athlete (cant mind name cant be bothered looking lol, Donal.......) had relations on Down AI teams in 60s

interesting stuff, eat as much fat,protein as you want, but just get your carbs from veg etc, all our usual forms are v bad for ye, cereal, breads etc.....

(similar to what aontrim has posted basically)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on January 22, 2015, 01:18:05 PM
have none of yous watched the Cereal Killers film/documentary?  No2 on its way also;
done by a Down man, former athlete (cant mind name cant be bothered looking lol, Donal.......) had relations on Down AI teams in 60s

interesting stuff, eat as much fat,protein as you want, but just get your carbs from veg etc, all our usual forms are v bad for ye, cereal, breads etc.....

(similar to what aontrim has posted basically)
And I'm sure there are many other sources saying that in moderation they are fine. As Walter posted above Italians eat a diet with plentiful carbs and their diet is held up as one of the healthiest in the world in terms of life expectancy. As Walter has also alluded to their diet is also plentiful in oils, vegetables, fish etc. whereas in other nations people might have cereal or toast for breakfast, a sandwich at work for lunch and pasta/rice/potatoes in the evening with little in the way of fresh produce in any of them. That for me is the issue not carbs themselves.