Mayo V Kerry- 8/4/12

Started by Sam2011, April 05, 2012, 02:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 13, 2012, 10:10:33 PM
I was hoping Kerry v Mayo would be in the white elephant on the Ennis Road in Limerick.

It really should be used when Connacht opposition are in a league-semi or championship qualifier match against Munster opposition bar Limerick themselves of course.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

moysider

Quote from: Jinxy on April 13, 2012, 09:56:34 PM
Why, in the name of all that's holy, are they putting these games on in Croke Park.

Agree. I don t now anybody that s travelling. I ve stopped asking because I ve been getting quare looks. It says a bit about the status of the league now, and a bit a bit about ourselves as well. I remember a very decent crowd for the league semis back in 96 in CP. Regardless of where you hold semis the league is a mess. The whole package of league and championship needs to be looked at. We ve a championship as well that doesn t really start in earnest until August, consists of 7 matches ( 4 quarters, 2 semis and a final) and concludes a few weeks later. No sport that is done and dusted in a few weeks will survive against sports that have exposure for 9-10 months a year.

ross4life

Quote from: moysider on April 13, 2012, 11:07:36 PM
Why, in the name of all that's holy, are they putting these games on in Croke Park.

Agree. I don t now anybody that s travelling. I ve stopped asking because I ve been getting quare looks. It says a bit about the status of the league now, and a bit a bit about ourselves as well. I remember a very decent crowd for the league semis back in 96 in CP. Regardless of where you hold semis the league is a mess. The whole package of league and championship needs to be looked at. We ve a championship as well that doesn t really start in earnest until August, consists of 7 matches ( 4 quarters, 2 semis and a final) and concludes a few weeks later. No sport that is done and dusted in a few weeks will survive against sports that have exposure for 9-10 months a year.

Our last two Div 1 semi finals (a decade ago) was played in Mullingar,Markievicz Park in front of full crowds that brought great atmospheres. Doesn't make much since to play them in a near empty stadium devoid of any atmosphere.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Farrandeelin

I'm heading to it moysider. (I think) you know who I am!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rosnarun

If aidan is out time to put an SOS out for Ronan Magarrity . I would really fear for the ballintubber pair at midfield. i thoik it could be time to think outside the bix if its come to that . maybe  move vaughan to midfield, If barry moran is stuggling . but themn again imlearning to never try to second guess horan.
what odds Rob hennely at number 8?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

muppet

Quote from: rosnarun on April 14, 2012, 12:06:03 AM
If aidan is out time to put an SOS out for Ronan Magarrity . I would really fear for the ballintubber pair at midfield. i thoik it could be time to think outside the bix if its come to that . maybe  move vaughan to midfield, If barry moran is stuggling . but themn again imlearning to never try to second guess horan.

Maybe Tori Spelling?
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Quote from: rosnarun on April 14, 2012, 12:06:03 AM

If we re lucky we might get McGar for some of championshp - depending on how long we last. He s had his operations and it would be a boost if he could figure in summer. Between the other thing and this he has never had a decent cut at it. If he had his 04 and 06 form, when he was a relative kid for a midfielder, he d be some player now.

Barry Moran is struggling with injury too. I don t need a press release to tell me he is not right.  Management priority is to get Barry Moran and Cillian O Connor right for summer. Cillian O Connor is struggling as well. Injury I d say, and as well as that trying to play him in a positon he does not have the attributes for, ie. the ff line.

Vaughan in midfield is an idea, as is Higgins at 6. I d be very disappointed if Horan ever asks Higgins to mark Gooch again - ever. Higgins can do most jobs but not Gooch. Get the bus driver to try and mark Gooch and let Higgins drive forward and hurt the opposition. Management need to realise that there is a big difference marking Diarmuid Connolly and Colm Cooper.

Well, its the Ballintubber pair for this one. I d prefer that than strapping up others that are struggling. I liked the way Gibbons did last weak and Geraghty will do fine. The worst criticism I could level at him so far is that he looks nervous. And I reckon that s a good thing. Means he cares and doesn t swan about like some of the strolling players making their debuts I remember - and several appearances later.

Likes of Andy and Dillon and Mort are the players that can bring the team along. Whether people like them or not, Clarkey, Cafferkey, Boyle, Keegan, Vaughan, Higgins and Keane will not hide.

Management have a big responsibility on Sunday to make sure we re set up competitively with key players missing.

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on April 13, 2012, 11:38:09 PM
Quote from: moysider on April 13, 2012, 11:07:36 PM

Our last two Div 1 semi finals (a decade ago) was played in Mullingar,Markievicz Park in front of full crowds that brought great atmospheres. Doesn't make much since to play them in a near empty stadium devoid of any atmosphere.

First of all it was a decade ago. Things have changed last ten years. I remember a late 90s 1/4 final v Derry in Mark. Park and it was heavin too. If our semi v Kerry on Sunday was in McHale Park and free-in you d get best 8-10 grand. If it was in Limerick half that again.

The game is dyin a death and Dublin winning an AI will not rescue it. Kids are not watching games anymore. Kids play for the club but Xbox and and stuff is the business but nobody knows who Peter Canavan is/was, never mind John Egan, Dermot Early etc. Some  young lads watch a bit of sport but most play a bit and that s it.( very few, it has to be said watch priemiership and fewer still rugby)

Anybody that thinks that The Sunday Game and League Sunday is watched by the masses is deluded. Very few people under midlife breakdown is watchin the Sunday Game unless you re county is on and you ve won and feelin better than if you lost.

If I were to go to this league semi on Sunday I would have to do the trip on my own. If it is live on tv has little relevance also. Most kids - minors in a few years - will stay on facebook/Xbox and couldn t be arsed watching.

I

ballinaman

Anyone looking for parking tomorrow, throw us a PM.On St Ignatius road, 5 min walk to Croker. Will put out a couple of cones.

mannix

Quote from: ballinaman on April 14, 2012, 12:19:32 PM
Anyone looking for parking tomorrow, throw us a PM.On St Ignatius road, 5 min walk to Croker. Will put out a couple of cones.
One decent man, must be from ballina!

Syferus

Ah Moysider, you're the rare spotted breed of Gaaaaaah fatalist. Can I get a photograph so I can have an article published in National Geographic?

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 13, 2012, 11:59:18 PM
I'm heading to it moysider. (I think) you know who I am!

Am heading in myself, the only one out of our usual group of 10. I think we may suprise Kerry today (but then i say that before each game with them).

From the Bunker

Best of Luck to the Mayo lads today!

Nice to have a run out in Headquarters before the Championship begins. Could stand to this group (hoefully) later in the Championship. (As is usual with Kerry) I wont be too disappointed in a loss, as long as we stay with them till the end and learn a few lessons for the bigger day!

Nothing to lose really today, We really did not expect to make the play-offs, so no harm to have a go and try out a few things.

muppet

Just about to leave the house, C'MON MAYO!
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Freeman and both O Sés not togged. Neither is Regan and a few more by the looks of things.

Jack O Connor has just confirmed Declan O Sullivan out. O Leary in.