Easter Lily & Rising Commemorations

Started by thejuice, April 04, 2012, 11:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxcommander

Quote from: easytiger95 on March 31, 2016, 01:03:45 PM

However, I'm not going to express shame for being born in the South, for our country being situated both geographically and economically where it is, for electing politicians who believed dialogue was a more effective way to get change than through violence, and for my generation and the three or four before it, not coming up with an ideal solution for a problem that has defeated every mind on the island for the last 900 years.

If I thought there was a prevailing attitude of malice or disinterest towards other Irishmen and women in the North, I'd feel shame. But I've never felt that myself and I'm not going to put a hairshirt on to alleviate your feelings, much and all as I may empathize with them and feel sick that my compatriots feel that way. But if the State had seen a better course than the one it took, I'm sure it would have taken it.

Empathise?? That really helped. What a cop out.
If the state had seen a better course it would have taken it? You mean apart from sit on their hands surely.
The people of the 26 counties could have been out to demonstrate at their governments inaction but most stayed cosy at home.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Rossfan on March 31, 2016, 02:24:50 PM
Tell us more.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunmanway_killings

Funny that a man who likes to name check Jean McConville is unaware of some of the atrocities that led to the Free State.

foxcommander

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 31, 2016, 02:34:54 PM
Tell us more.

Funny that a man who likes to name check Jean McConville is unaware of some of the atrocities that led to the Free State.

Don't forget Gerry McCabe........it's the only other name Ross knows thanks to his Fine Gael spindoctors

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: foxcommander on March 31, 2016, 02:37:04 PM
Tell us more.

Don't forget Gerry McCabe........it's the only other name Ross knows.

Yeah. He can file Gerry McCabe with 411 RIC officers the IRA killed during The War of Independence.

easytiger95

Quote from: foxcommander on March 31, 2016, 02:31:55 PM

However, I'm not going to express shame for being born in the South, for our country being situated both geographically and economically where it is, for electing politicians who believed dialogue was a more effective way to get change than through violence, and for my generation and the three or four before it, not coming up with an ideal solution for a problem that has defeated every mind on the island for the last 900 years.

If I thought there was a prevailing attitude of malice or disinterest towards other Irishmen and women in the North, I'd feel shame. But I've never felt that myself and I'm not going to put a hairshirt on to alleviate your feelings, much and all as I may empathize with them and feel sick that my compatriots feel that way. But if the State had seen a better course than the one it took, I'm sure it would have taken it.

If the state had seen a better course it would have taken it? You mean apart from sit on their hands surely.
The people of the 26 counties could have been out to demonstrate at their governments inaction but most stayed cosy at home.

Again, no answer to the question - what would you have wanted the government to do? Go on, surprise us, actually attempt to answer it.

Oh and by the way, I wasn't born until the mid 70s, so I doubt my empathy (or lack thereof, given my status as an unformed bunch of atoms) would have helped Northern nationalists at the start of the Troubles.

My empathy is towards nationalists today in the North who feel that they have been betrayed. It is telling though, that after every contribution yourself and Bomber make, you have to be corrected on basic reading and comprehension. Too much Fox News.

foxcommander

Quote from: easytiger95 on March 31, 2016, 02:44:26 PM

Oh and by the way, I wasn't born until the mid 70s, so I doubt my empathy (or lack thereof, given my status as an unformed bunch of atoms) would have helped Northern nationalists at the start of the Troubles.

So ask your parents if they sat on their hands watching it unfold on the telly before Gaybo and the Late Late came on.
Ask them what did they do.

AQMP

Tell us more.

Don't forget Gerry McCabe........it's the only other name Ross knows thanks to his Fine Gael spindoctors

Purely in the interests of accuracy, the man's name was Jerry.

Il Bomber Destro

Again, no answer to the question - what would you have wanted the government to do? Go on, surprise us, actually attempt to answer it.

My empathy is towards nationalists today in the North who feel that they have been betrayed. It is telling though, that after every contribution yourself and Bomber make, you have to be corrected on basic reading and comprehension. Too much Fox News.

The answer is pretty obvious, they should have been over the border protecting nationalist communities. Instead they sat idly by and watched a sustained sectarian attack on their fellow Irish men and women from their front row seats.

They had a choice and they chose a self serving option rather than do the right thing and intervene. Much like how the state reacted to the British state sponsored bombings of Dublin and Monaghan was to rail against republicans.

Main Street

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 31, 2016, 02:11:58 PM
Quote from: MoChara on March 31, 2016, 02:09:16 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 31, 2016, 02:00:16 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 31, 2016, 01:58:56 PM
At least the Monaghan Republican Front  tried  to invade and liberate Tyrone from the yoke of brit imperialism and their various quasi-military backwoods thug lackeys  but we were betrayed and undone by a local snitch.

And now look at how Tyrone repays us for that blood loss of our children?

It was a Monaghan man who betrayed the Loughgall martyrs.

Was a Monaghan Man lead them too

Yes. I have great time for the border counties of Monaghan, Louth and Donegal, less so Cavan.
Quite frankly  your time is an overvalued commodity, of no significance.
There is no proof who betrayed the unit in Loughgall, there is anecdotal evidence pointing here and there and wild assumptions made based on that anecdotal evidence. It is an unsolved mystery who betrayed them.

foxcommander

Quote from: AQMP on March 31, 2016, 02:47:19 PM
Tell us more.

Purely in the interests of accuracy, the man's name was Jerry.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll remember it for the next election time when his name will be dug up again.

AQMP

Free Staters abandon us again ;)

http://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2016/03/31/news/michael-d-higgins-pulls-out-of-civic-dinner-at-belfast-city-hall-470123/?param=ds12rif76F

PRESIDENT Michael D Higgins has said that he will no longer attend a civic dinner at Belfast City Hall to commemorate the 1916 Easter Rising.

It is understood the fact the occasion has not garnered enough cross-party support, with a number of unionists declining invitations, motivated the president's decision to stay away.

Lord Mayor of Belfast Arder Carson expressed his disappointment that the President has declined to attend the April 8 dinner.

"Both personally, and on behalf of Belfast City Council, I am extremely disappointed that the President is no longer attending this event, part of our Decade of Centenaries programme," Mr Carson.

"The overall programme for the decade was agreed by full council and has cross-party support; and that position has not changed. A lot of hard work has gone into creating an inclusive programme of events which is respectful of all viewpoints, and which focuses on the key events of our shared history, and those which have impacted on our city.

"In this important year which reflects on the centenary of the 1916 Easter Rising and the Battle of the Somme, Belfast City Council has shown leadership in how we mark these events and I would wish that to continue. The dinner will of course be going ahead on April 8 and I am very much looking forward to the occasion."

easytiger95

Quote from: foxcommander on March 31, 2016, 02:46:48 PM

So ask your parents if they sat on their hands watching it unfold on the telly before Gaybo and the Late Late came on.
Ask them what did they do.

Again no answer to the question. Brilliant stuff - you're enhancing the reputation of debate within both the northern nationalist community and the extreme right wing, American Republican community. Double whammy.

easytiger95

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 31, 2016, 02:48:52 PM

The answer is pretty obvious, they should have been over the border protecting nationalist communities. Instead they sat idly by and watched a sustained sectarian attack on their fellow Irish men and women from their front row seats.

They had a choice and they chose a self serving option rather than do the right thing and intervene. Much like how the state reacted to the British state sponsored bombings of Dublin and Monaghan with internment for republicans.

Again, an answer given many times before and refuted many times before, on this thread. Even toddlers eventually learn that sticking their fingers in their ears and screaming the same thing over and over again, doesn't win the argument.

foxcommander

Quote from: AQMP on March 31, 2016, 03:05:12 PM
It is understood the fact the occasion has not garnered enough cross-party support, with a number of unionists declining invitations, motivated the president's decision to stay away.

He better stay away from the All Ireland Finals then because I don't think unionists approve of these either.

Too worried about what the neighbours think rather than focus on the people who you are supposed to represent.
Yet again.

easytiger95

I also loved the way you edited the quote Fox to drop the question I asked you. Which was

Are you sure you don't work for Fox News? I would have thought that deviousness, malice, trolling and a lack of respect for grammar would make you a shoo-in there.