Easter Lily & Rising Commemorations

Started by thejuice, April 04, 2012, 11:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 31, 2016, 04:05:00 PM
Michael D was wrong there. He should have gone up. We have to make allowances for unionist views and people, but we constantly bend over backwards for fear of offending them. I don't think they do the same sort of contortions to suit us. He should have gone up, spoken in a conciliatory way, and represented the Nation.

They do nothing for anyone bar themselves and the only thing they go out of their way to be is offended.

omaghjoe

This snub by Michael D is well out of order, it smacks off.... your an embarrassment to us to up here.
Foxy's and Bomber's rantings might well be closer to the mark than youd think

Its unlikely that he made the decision himself tho, so who would have advised him? Some Senior Civil Servant?

Rossfan

Caretaker Minister Blue shirt Flanagan I suspect.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rossfan

Quote from: tiempo on March 31, 2016, 10:05:20 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 31, 2016, 09:43:40 PM
Quote from: tiempo on March 31, 2016, 08:42:59 PM
, back to the shires of Roscommon where all is fine and dandy.

What the F are the "shires of Roscommon".
I've never seen or heard of them in 40+ years of living in this great County.

A demilitarised zone for quislings.
Grow up you stupid *******

T Fearon

At this stage I'm bemused and confused.The events in the South were an impressive pageantry but I cannot make up my mind if the rising is a source of pride or embarrassment generally down there.Bit like St Patrick's Day,any ould excuse for a Hooley while missing the real point.

Up North there was a more aggressive militaristic edge,but even those taking part must realise deep down that they are totally different people than those in the South,who don't view the rising in the same way at all,and certainly don't want any form of Irish Unity.

Say what you like about Unionism,but it maintains clear core beliefs and goals and celebrates these no matter who might be offended.

tiempo

Quote from: Rossfan on March 31, 2016, 10:24:19 PM

Exactly the response of a quisling in denial, predictable.

If yous showed that level of aggression against the British we might have a country we could call Ireland. Instead we're left with two failed bastard statelets thanks to quislings.

Stay in the shires lad, wait for the Brits to come to you.
Love Ulster, hate quislings.

smelmoth

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 30, 2016, 10:40:04 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on March 30, 2016, 10:19:07 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 30, 2016, 01:32:45 PM
You somehow seem to be revising an outlook that The War of  Independence was a success. It may have got the 26 it's freedom but it created a sectarian statelet which would inevitably lead to another bloody conflict
Yeah revisionism is to be reviled

You paint the Provos campaign as a failure. It certainly hastened a more equal and accommodating society for nationalists to live in today. It seems to have delivered peace to the island, certainly for the time being.
f**king brilliant. You really are a deranged tool but I really, really wish you had your own TV show ("An Idiot at Home") or channel even dedicated to your espousal of your views. You would make a fortune in advertising revenues.

Are you denying that the O6 state has not been in a relative state of peace since the GFA was signed?

I think what you don't like about me is that I'm a skilled debater while you are an empty vessel.

Your argument was not merely that there was peace but that the republican strategy "delivered" it. Your argument is a crock of shit

smelmoth

Quote from: foxcommander on March 30, 2016, 11:29:53 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on March 30, 2016, 09:58:36 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on March 29, 2016, 11:20:59 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on March 29, 2016, 11:17:29 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on March 29, 2016, 11:07:18 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on March 29, 2016, 10:56:12 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on March 29, 2016, 10:37:41 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 29, 2016, 08:15:38 AM
I don't see how Sinn Fein were part of this injustices when they were the ones living through it and putting their lives on the line - ordinary men and women doing extraordinary things, such were the times.
We all know how SF put the lives of ordinary men and women on the line

I take it you think the likes of Eddie Fullerton were legitimate targets then.

How strange the irish government didn't cause a fuss about it happening on their soil.
What makes you think that? Serious question. Please outline your "thinking"

Maybe you want to clarify your comment first.
You want a list of the SF members who have taken lives? It would take a while to come up with and its not for today but it could be done if someone was willing to put the effort in. If would have to be limited to the ones that are publicly known. There could be more than that. A lot more. Then we could look at the gun runners, commanders, apologists, strategists etc

Now over to you to explain your comment

Ball still in your court Foxy on this one

Your original argument stated that councillors/politicians lives were put on the line due to their association with SF. I responded accordingly.
Your new argument has changed into something else which is outside the scope of my reply.
You are making things up now. If I stated that "councillors/politicians lives were put on the line due to their association with SF" please show me where I stated it?

smelmoth

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 31, 2016, 10:11:28 AM
Quote from: easytiger95 on March 31, 2016, 09:38:27 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 30, 2016, 10:40:04 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on March 30, 2016, 10:19:07 PM
You somehow seem to be revising an outlook that The War of  Independence was a success. It may have got the 26 it's freedom but it created a sectarian statelet which would inevitably lead to another bloody conflict
Yeah revisionism is to be reviled

You paint the Provos campaign as a failure. It certainly hastened a more equal and accommodating society for nationalists to live in today. It seems to have delivered peace to the island, certainly for the time being.
f**king brilliant. You really are a deranged tool but I really, really wish you had your own TV show ("An Idiot at Home") or channel even dedicated to your espousal of your views. You would make a fortune in advertising revenues.

Are you denying that the O6 state has not been in a relative state of peace since the GFA was signed?

I think what you don't like about me is that I'm a skilled debater while you are an empty vessel.

A skilled debater would note that ending a conflict to bring about a state of peace, does not mean that the conflict itself achieved peace. Peace is the absence of conflict.

I didn't say the conflict achieved peace, I said it hastened the process for equal rights which in turn lessened the appetite for conflict, culminating in a peace process.
Yes you did

smelmoth

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 31, 2016, 10:31:46 AM
Quote from: easytiger95 on March 31, 2016, 10:16:45 AM
You said "it seems to have delivered peace" - it's highlighted in your own quote. Who's disingenuous now?

Well, are you disagreeing that peace is not prevalent in the O6 today?
Are you SF's chief strategist?

If not could you apply for that role before the May elections?

smelmoth

Quote from: MoChara on March 31, 2016, 02:09:16 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 31, 2016, 02:00:16 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 31, 2016, 01:58:56 PM
At least the Monaghan Republican Front  tried  to invade and liberate Tyrone from the yoke of brit imperialism and their various quasi-military backwoods thug lackeys  but we were betrayed and undone by a local snitch.

And now look at how Tyrone repays us for that blood loss of our children?

It was a Monaghan man who betrayed the Loughgall martyrs.

Was a Monaghan Man lead them too

Martyrs? Really??

smelmoth

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 31, 2016, 02:48:52 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on March 31, 2016, 02:44:26 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on March 31, 2016, 02:31:55 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on March 31, 2016, 01:03:45 PM

However, I'm not going to express shame for being born in the South, for our country being situated both geographically and economically where it is, for electing politicians who believed dialogue was a more effective way to get change than through violence, and for my generation and the three or four before it, not coming up with an ideal solution for a problem that has defeated every mind on the island for the last 900 years.

If I thought there was a prevailing attitude of malice or disinterest towards other Irishmen and women in the North, I'd feel shame. But I've never felt that myself and I'm not going to put a hairshirt on to alleviate your feelings, much and all as I may empathize with them and feel sick that my compatriots feel that way. But if the State had seen a better course than the one it took, I'm sure it would have taken it.

Empathise?? That really helped. What a cop out.
If the state had seen a better course it would have taken it? You mean apart from sit on their hands surely.
The people of the 26 counties could have been out to demonstrate at their governments inaction but most stayed cosy at home.

Again, no answer to the question - what would you have wanted the government to do? Go on, surprise us, actually attempt to answer it.

Oh and by the way, I wasn't born until the mid 70s, so I doubt my empathy (or lack thereof, given my status as an unformed bunch of atoms) would have helped Northern nationalists at the start of the Troubles.

My empathy is towards nationalists today in the North who feel that they have been betrayed. It is telling though, that after every contribution yourself and Bomber make, you have to be corrected on basic reading and comprehension. Too much Fox News.

The answer is pretty obvious, they should have been over the border protecting nationalist communities. Instead they sat idly by and watched a sustained sectarian attack on their fellow Irish men and women from their front row seats.

They had a choice and they chose a self serving option rather than do the right thing and intervene. Much like how the state reacted to the British state sponsored bombings of Dublin and Monaghan was to rail against republicans.
So you are still saying that they should have invaded a NATO member. Point us to some of the debates at the time and the arguments for and against RoI invading a NATO member?

tonto1888

Quote from: smelmoth on March 31, 2016, 10:59:52 PM
At least the Monaghan Republican Front  tried  to invade and liberate Tyrone from the yoke of brit imperialism and their various quasi-military backwoods thug lackeys  but we were betrayed and undone by a local snitch.

Martyrs? Really??

A martyr is someone who is killer because of their religious or other beliefs. Which is what happened to those men. So while you may not agree with their beliefs and actions you can't really deny they were martyrs

smelmoth

Quote from: tonto1888 on March 31, 2016, 11:09:13 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on March 31, 2016, 10:59:52 PM

Martyrs? Really??

A martyr is someone who is killer because of their religious or other beliefs. Which is what happened to those men. So while you may not agree with their beliefs and actions you can't really deny they were martyrs
Which particular belief were they executed for? A united Ireland? Civil Rights?

Rossfan

Quote from: tiempo on March 31, 2016, 10:41:20 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 31, 2016, 10:24:19 PM

Exactly the response of a quisling in denial, predictable.

If yous showed that level of aggression against the British we might have a country we could call Ireland. Instead we're left with two failed b**tard statelets thanks to quislings.

Stay in the shires lad, wait for the Brits to come to you.
Love Ulster, hate quislings.
Go back to your doctor. You need a change of tablets.