Up and coming Hurling Stars

Started by Oak Leafer, April 03, 2012, 03:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oak Leafer

Hi all,

Who are the current top 3 hurlers in Ireland? Who do you all believe to be the next 'Shefflin'?

Will this star come from within Kilkenny again? Has Liam Watson the ability to gain this recognition, even though he hurls for Antrim?

Be very interested to hear your thoughts...

sheamy

Quote from: Oak Leafer on April 03, 2012, 03:39:17 PM
Hi all,

Who are the current top 3 hurlers in Ireland? Who do you all believe to be the next 'Shefflin'?

Will this star come from within Kilkenny again? Has Liam Watson the ability to gain this recognition, even though he hurls for Antrim?

He'd have to sober up first...

Oak Leafer

What about young Conor Lehane from Cork? He has impressed me anytime ive seen him during the league

CorkMan

Quote from: Oak Leafer on April 03, 2012, 08:55:39 PM
What about young Conor Lehane from Cork? He has impressed me anytime ive seen him during the league

Yeah him and Jamie Coughlan in Cork. Declon Hannon and Kevin Downes in Limerick. Noel McGrath is only like 22 and can still get better. There are a lot of good young hurlers in the country atm.

Ash Smoker

Quote from: Oak Leafer on April 03, 2012, 03:39:17 PM
Hi all,

Up and coming? Liam Watson must be near 30.
Danny Sutcliffe has really impressed for Dublin this year.

deiseach

Felt something stirring watching Gavin O'Brien on Sunday. Four points from play, including one where he took the ball out of the air and swept it over the bar in one movement, and another where he intercepted a pass and rifled it over without breaking stride. Damn you, Hope, damn you!

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on April 04, 2012, 03:15:32 PM
Felt something stirring watching Gavin O'Brien on Sunday. Four points from play, including one where he took the ball out of the air and swept it over the bar in one movement, and another where he intercepted a pass and rifled it over without breaking stride. Damn you, Hope, damn you!

Steady on deiseach, it's only a game.

oisinog

Watson is 29. I cant see him getting an allstar he is too fond of getting booked that being said he has not been sent of this year. Thats the first time I can remember

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 04, 2012, 03:16:08 PM

Steady on deiseach, it's only a game.

And yet I felt it. What does that tell us?

CorkMan

What was your mans name for Galway? Got the goal against Cork a few weeks ago. He looked fairly good.

imtommygunn

The point he scored where he killed the ball dead with one touch on hir husl (I think from a puck out) and hit straight over after turning was as good as you'll see anywhere.

I was wondering who the fella was as he looked useful.

Oak Leafer

Yeah sorry i realise Liam is not young. What about young Conor McCann of Antrim?

So who's the current top 3 hurlers as things stand?

imtommygunn

Doesn't seem to be getting a lookin under Wallace Oak leafer for whatever reason. Pity as he previously looked real good and we definitely are lacking up in forwards.

Best up and coming looks like Lehane and that dub fella looks right and good too.

Ritchie Power and Noel McGrath look like two of the best this year. Maher at LHB for Tipperary, whatever his first name is there's that many of them, also looks fairly stand-out as usual.

That's from my limited viewing mind...

AZOffaly

Oak Leafer

LAR CORBETT has retired and Henry Shefflin and Eoin Kelly are in the twilight of their hurling careers.

But a whole host of hotshots have suddenly emerged — good enough to emulate those superstars.

That is the view of Ger Cunningham.

And the UL manager reckons emerging talents such as Limerick pair Declan Hannon and Shane Dowling, Clare's Conor McGrath, Cork's Conor Lehane and Galway's Niall Burke are the real deal. Cunningham said: "One or two of those lads are definitely going to be the next Henry Shefflin or Eoin Kelly. To me they seem to have it all. There's no reason why they can't develop into players of that level.