Meath Mightily Migrate from Mediocrity, Maybe.

Started by thejuice, April 03, 2012, 01:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Would Boylan not be a sort of Ryle version of Kenny Dalglish ? I mean he won all Irelands and a good few but not recently.

Syferus

Quote from: Ard-Rí on April 17, 2012, 10:28:20 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 17, 2012, 09:53:51 PM
Quote from: Ard-Rí on April 17, 2012, 09:43:44 PM
It'd be a foolish man that would doubt Seán Boylan's commitment to his county.

After his antics in the past month I'd safely say it's the one that doesn't question his motives that is foolish.

"I'll step in if needed", now equals antics.  ::)

He steps down from his 'Director of Football' role (which clearly was a nonsense role with the ease that happened) very recently, then comes out and not only agrees behind the scenes to take over the senior team, but goes all quotable and talks to reporters directly saying he'll take it. While another man is in the job. That's cynical, political manoeuvring of the very highest order, Boylan knows full well what he's doing.

I get it, Meath people revere him as if he were God because of what he did in the past; most everyone else is pretty shocked (and personally I think it's a pretty disgusting breach of the basic code of honour managers should have for one another) by his behaviour.

DuffleKing

Wow. As someone who has only passing interest in all this I have to wonder why you have so much bile stored up for sean boylan. You had to work hard to present the facts in the light you just did.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Declan

Pressure building alright - Todays Indo

Wednesday April 18 2012
CIVIL war erupted in Meath football last night after former boss Eamonn Barry insisted that the Royals have "lost their decency" with how they have treated Seamus McEnaney ahead of tonight's vote on his future as county manager.

And Barry insisted that it is county chairman Barney Allen who should be under fire instead of the Monaghan man. Allen is in his fifth and final year as Royals chief, having previously served as secretary for many years.

Barry was a member of the county's management committee last year, and he laid the blame for the Royals' predicament squarely at Allen's door and called on the Meath clubs to leave McEnaney in situ until the end of the championship.

"For six months last year, at first hand, I saw how business was conducted by Barney and the Meath county committee, and I stated to a meeting that there was a total lack of open-ness, transparency and accountability.

"And it now appears that we have even lost our decency by the manner in which we have treated Seamus McEnaney."

Barry has had a number of run-ins with the board since his tenure as Meath manager ended in 2006.

At county convention earlier this year, he was barred from standing for the position of coaching officer, a position he had held for 2011, after it was ruled that he wasn't a registered member of the Walterstown club and therefore ineligible.

There was confusion among some clubs yesterday over exactly what format tonight's vote will take.

Meath secretary Cyril Creavin stated that one vote would be taken, with the removal of McEnaney and the appointment of Boylan coming under the same motion -- though a number of clubs are known to have voted on the issues separately.

As the clubs are being asked to over-rule a decision previously made by the county board, a two-thirds majority is required to end McEnaney's tenure.

magpie seanie

Quote from: seafoid on April 17, 2012, 10:39:58 PM
Would Boylan not be a sort of Ryle version of Kenny Dalglish ? I mean he won all Irelands and a good few but not recently.

No - Boylan created two seperate teams from scratch to win multiple Championships. Dalglish inherited a winning team and kept it going for a few years before jumping ship when the slide started. He did manage to construct a championship team from scratch with heavy financial backing at Blackburn but was fierce lucky to win a title with them.

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 18, 2012, 09:35:11 AM
Quote from: seafoid on April 17, 2012, 10:39:58 PM

No - Boylan created two seperate teams from scratch to win multiple Championships. Dalglish inherited a winning team and kept it going for a few years before jumping ship when the slide started. He did manage to construct a championship team from scratch with heavy financial backing at Blackburn but was fierce lucky to win a title with them.

Behave.

Hardy

I'd be prepared to live with a Banty victory tonight as it could mean only one thing - the position of Barney Allen and the board officers would be untenable and a solution of some sort to the first order problem would be forced. Ideally, that would be O'Rourke or some able and respected figure taking over the county administration with a proper plan for turnaround and development.

Putting up with Banty for another few months until our early exit from the Championship, which is inevitable anyway in any scenario, given where we are now, is a price I'm happy to pay for a result like that.

thejuice

that would be my preferred option Hardy. getting rid of Banty would achieve nothing.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

shawshank

Fair play to Barry, sound slike a throughly principled man. How could a man of Boylans experience allow himself to be exploited like this unless he wanted it. Disappointing.

Syferus

Quote from: DuffleKing on April 18, 2012, 07:58:54 AM

Wow. As someone who has only passing interest in all this I have to wonder why you have so much bile stored up for sean boylan. You had to work hard to present the facts in the light you just did.

I couldn't have cared less about Boylan before he started up these antics, and just like everyone else remembered him for being a long serving manager with a (mostly) excellent record. What he's done recently is a black eye on that record.

sheamy

Quote from: Hardy on April 18, 2012, 12:13:55 PM
I'd be prepared to live with a Banty victory tonight as it could mean only one thing - the position of Barney Allen and the board officers would be untenable and a solution of some sort to the first order problem would be forced. Ideally, that would be O'Rourke or some able and respected figure taking over the county administration with a proper plan for turnaround and development.

Putting up with Banty for another few months until our early exit from the Championship, which is inevitable anyway in any scenario, given where we are now, is a price I'm happy to pay for a result like that.

Is O'Rouke still teaching? I'd be very surprised if he had the time to be a county chairman. It's basically a full time job these days.

seafoid

Quote from: thejuice on April 18, 2012, 12:15:59 PM
that would be my preferred option Hardy. getting rid of Banty would achieve nothing.
It would turn Meath into  Nobantystan

agorm

As far as I remember Eamonn Barry voiced a very strong opposition to Banty's appointment in the first place. It kind of indicates how strong his opinion of Barney is. In my opinion, the clubs should reject the county board's motion as it will be a vindication of their position. Banty certainly has not performed particularly well but it is difficult to see what the motion tonight will achieve bar help the county board shift the blame for our problems on to the Monaghan man.

Jinxy

Banty and Barney are going to have a fair fight in the Aldi car park to decide who goes.
Big Joe Joyce is reffing it.
If you were any use you'd be playing.