Meath Mightily Migrate from Mediocrity, Maybe.

Started by thejuice, April 03, 2012, 01:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Meath's rise is far from assured. They over-preformed in recent years at senior inter-county level, all that's happened now is that the inter-county team is levelling off with the other grades. It'll take some real work for Meath to be a stable power again.

Maguire01

@sportsdes: The Irish Sun reports that the #Meath footballers will today release a statement in support of Seamus McEnaney remaining on as manager. #gaa

Hardy

Have a group of players anywhere ever got together and come up with anything sensible? They support Banty. So the disastrous slide into mediocrity and Division 3 had nothing to do with him? Fine. Who does that leave?

heffo

Quote from: Hardy on April 17, 2012, 08:25:41 AM
So the disastrous slide into mediocrity and Division 3 had nothing to do with him? Fine. Who does that leave?

Have the players not already said that the blame for their performances should rest with them?

sheamy

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 17, 2012, 07:35:24 AM
@sportsdes: The Irish Sun reports that the #Meath footballers will today release a statement in support of Seamus McEnaney remaining on as manager. #gaa

What a mess...haven't followed the ins and outs of this. What is the story?

It strikes me as strange that Boylan steps down from his oversight kinda role when it seems to me that is exactly what is needed in Meath.

Meath aren't going to win a Leinster or All-Ireland with these players so why are there moves to get Banty out before the end of the year?

Cavan are at the same madness but at least there looks to be some kinda plan there involving continuity of personnel from the minor and u21s (and they are Cavan men too which is good).

It's all getting 'very premiership' with the movement of managers. Sad to see.

Declan

Interestingly a lot of people I've spoken to don't think Boylan should take the job. They feel he's had his time and that if there's to be a change of manager it should be one of the many lads around whose names are well known - Harnan, McEntee, O'Rourke, O'Brien etc. All agree that the biggest problem is the board and the underlying structures but when I say that it'd take a good 5/10 year strategic plan etc they don't seem to be willing to go that route i.e. accept that it could take that long before they are consistently performing at the top level again.
Hardy - I did think the players were taking their portion of the blame alright. I've watched a couple of the championship matches and frankly the standard is brutal is I think it's a long haul for the Royals.   

sheamy

Still, at least noone got Cancer...go on the Banty ya mad hure...

Bingo

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 17, 2012, 07:35:24 AM

Banty does love a players statement.

DuffleKing

Declan

Grimley: Meath needs less talk, more action
By John Fogarty
Tuesday, April 17, 2012
Former Meath selector, Paul Grimley, fully expects Seamus McEnaney to be axed as manager tomorrow night but insists he would act just as defiantly as Banty.
Monaghan native McEnaney informed his 2011 right-hand man Grimley last week he had refused a county board request to step down from the position after the team were relegated to Division 3 last Sunday week.

Despite the threat of a no confidence motion hanging over his head, McEnaney has carried on his duties, attending club games and took in Meath's Leinster first-round opponents Wicklow's league fixture with Clare on Sunday.

Grimley has given him his full backing but admits with Seán Boylan standing by as a readymade replacement, things look bleak for McEnaney.

"Banty and myself are very good friends. Banty is a tough nut. He'll stick by something until he gets it right. We survived in Division 2 by the skin of our teeth last year and now this year results have suddenly gone pear-shaped.

"The biggest problem hanging over him now is that Seán is sitting ready to go in. Seán is obviously a man with credentials and high integrity and the fact he is a Meath man means Seamus is second favourite. It's not in Banty's grain to step down. I'd do the same myself if I felt I could the job and turn things around. There's no doubt he can improve this team, given the time.

"Meath have had a lot of managers (four) since Seán Boylan quit. When you change things around so much, players get confused. It's become like soccer and this need to do something within two years or you're out. Supporters can have different agendas but managers have to stick to the plans they make.

"There's been a lot of venom shown to him in the county too, whether it's because he's an outsider or other candidates were overlooked, I'm not sure."

Grimley feels Boylan's intentions are honourable and he has only put forward his name because "he sees Meath slipping and wants to help". The current Armagh coach believes the Meath players have been affected by the incessant questioning of McEnaney.

"Although Meath are down to Division 3, he's comes in for a lot of pressure from past players and people in the press which has been unfair and unwarranted. They were saying he wasn't the right man from the job and then shouting from behind couches 'get rid of him'.

"Banty is very analytical. Hisattention to detail is fantastic. He works at everything he can to make the team right. But his role really stops once they run out past that white line. When players go off form, you can't do an awful lot about it. They're a great bunch of boys, talented players but the whole media circus that surrounded Banty's appointment has heaped a lot of pressure on them."

Grimley excludes Trevor Giles and Colm O'Rourke from his attack but points a finger at Bernard Flynn as one ex-Meath player-turned-pundit who should be doing more to aid his county.

"A lot of these guys, like Bernard Flynn, I don't see him stepping in to help. Surely the county board need experienced people to come in? A lot of these past players have opinions but are not prepared to put their shoulder to the wheel. They say what should be done but are they going to do their bit or stand with a megaphone or a pen in their hand?

"If you dare criticise them they're up in arms. They feel because they have a pocketful of All-Ireland medals means they shouldn't be criticised. They feel those medals are a passport to criticise everyone else. They're saying 'this is how Meath should play' but if they've got these ideas why aren't they saying to (county chairman) Barney Allen 'I want to help here?'

"Some of the things that were said about Seamus were an attempt to make a joke out of us. That's one of the problems with management now. You have these people who have a platform to talk complete rubbish about you.

"Kieran McGeeney no longer lives on his playing career. He lives on his management career. Kevin Walsh in Sligo is the same. Jim McGuinness in Donegal is the same. Medals might get you a managerial job buy you've got to show you can do it afterwards.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/grimley-meath-needs-less-talk-more-action-190812.html#ixzz1sI3aGjW8

Hardy

Seamus, thanks for all the help. We've had enough help now. Go help someone else. Thanks again.

Chimley

I live in Meath and I still feel that Eamonn O'Brien was very hard done by in 2010. The team were not world beaters but they were beginning to punch their weight and there were signs of progress to my eyes. I was genuinely shocked that he was replaced by Banty.

shawshank

Quote from: Jinxy on April 17, 2012, 01:12:53 PM
Trevor Giles has his say.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/trevor-giles/time-to-get-the-basics-right-190539.html

I have been reading this thread with great interest and especially how some of more exxperienced posters from Meath see their team. And it is refreshing at last to read a piece from a past great player telling it as it is. Great honesty from him, compared to the clap trap I have been reading about it