Hogan Cup Final

Started by Denn Forever, April 02, 2012, 03:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Fermanagh vs Offaly in an All Ireland football final.  Who'd have thought but how long (if ever) will this translate to Senior county success?

Will it be on TV?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

sammymaguire

never is the answer as we have had plenty of MacRory Cups at St Micks but it hasnt even turned in to an Ulster win yet and hopefully it will be on as it should be a belter of a game
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

tyrone86

TG4 on Saturday, programme starting at 12.45

GalwayBayBoy

Edenderry must be fairly handy as they beat Jarlath's very easily in their semi-final. Granted not half as good a Jarlath's team as the one that should have won the Hogan last year. By all accounts Edenderry have a very big physical team though.

AZOffaly

Offaly have 2 schools in Croker next weekend. Gallen CS, from Ferbane, play against Cookstown in the Vocational Schools final. Gallen won this last year, and beat Cookstown in the Semi before beating Clonakilty in the final. This year Gallen, Cookstown and Clonakilty all won their respective provinces again, but Cookstown dismatled Clonakilty in the semi final this year as Gallen beat Davitt College from Castlebar.

St. Mary's would be an experienced enough outfit too. I think they reached the final a few years ago and lost. Offaly versus Ulster so.

shark

Quote from: Denn Forever on April 02, 2012, 03:56:09 PM
Fermanagh vs Offaly in an All Ireland football final.  Who'd have thought but how long (if ever) will this translate to Senior county success?

Will it be on TV?

It may be an Offaly based school but I'd imagine given Edenderry's proximity to Kildare and Westmeath, that it's not all Offaly men playing.  Although I don't actually know!

Jinxy

They've a few Meath and Kildare minors i think.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Aaron Boone

And Enniskillen have 3 Tyrone men in the squad (Trillick) including the captain Rory Brennan.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on April 02, 2012, 06:20:01 PM
They've a few Meath and Kildare minors i think.

They have indeed. Kildare, Offaly and Meath minors. Carbury is just down the road, as is Ballinabracky. Lads from Rhode would go to Edenderry too.

Dinny Breen

They actually have a Kildare U21 Daniel Flynn as well plus Kildare minor Cian McGonagke. About 6 of the panel are from Kildare. They have 2 Westmeath minors, 2 Meath minors and 6 Offaly minors.
#newbridgeornowhere

PAULD123

Lad's you're getting carried away. This is a schools competition not  a county competition. What is the point of saying St Micks have Tyrone players or St Mary's have Kildare players? Are you trying to imply that their credentials as champions are somehow sullied? The alliegence is school attendance not county of origin, there are other schools in the county and indeed in the same town often.

The only issue is if the players come from the school catchment areas, and if that crosses a county boarder then so be it. For instance St Colman's sits on the Down/Armagh border. Would you insist that the school only plays boys from one of those counties? Does it matter that the team is a mix of Down & Armagh so long as the players all come from the catchment?

If St Mary's win it will be an Victory for St Mary's school alone and not for Edenderry or Offaly (as there are other schools in both). Likewise can be said for St Micks.

Feckitt

The curtain raiser is the Vocational schools final between Holy Trinity Cookstown and Gallen CS.  I am confused now.  What did St Paul's Bessbrook win last week?, and how does this differ from the Vocational schools?

spuds

Quote from: Feckitt on April 03, 2012, 01:42:33 PM
The curtain raiser is the Vocational schools final between Holy Trinity Cookstown and Gallen CS.  I am confused now.  What did St Paul's Bessbrook win last week?, and how does this differ from the Vocational schools?
St Paul's won the all Ireland 'B' colleges title.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

sammymaguire

Quote from: PAULD123 on April 03, 2012, 12:54:45 PM
Lad's you're getting carried away. This is a schools competition not  a county competition. What is the point of saying St Micks have Tyrone players or St Mary's have Kildare players? Are you trying to imply that their credentials as champions are somehow sullied? The alliegence is school attendance not county of origin, there are other schools in the county and indeed in the same town often.

The only issue is if the players come from the school catchment areas, and if that crosses a county boarder then so be it. For instance St Colman's sits on the Down/Armagh border. Would you insist that the school only plays boys from one of those counties? Does it matter that the team is a mix of Down & Armagh so long as the players all come from the catchment?

If St Mary's win it will be an Victory for St Mary's school alone and not for Edenderry or Offaly (as there are other schools in both). Likewise can be said for St Micks.

I think you can safely say, we all know this.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Lone Shark

Edenderry is close to a lot of counties and if I'm not mistaken, the starting team against Jarlaths had 6 OY, 5 KE, 3 WH and 1 MH. I'm certain about the Offaly number, not completely sure of the others but it's no more than one out on any of them.

They've picked up a lot of extras in recent years as lads from places like Rhode and Kinnegad that might have gone to Rochfortbridge seem to be going to Edenderry a lot more. The Rochfortbridge team that lost to Moate this year was 14 Westmeath and 1 Meath, they used to have much more of a spread.

Some contrast with Gallen. All Offaly, and just three clubs - one of which (my own, Ferbane/Belmont) will probably provide either 11 or 12 starters, depending on whether Brian Grehan, who missed the semi final against Davitts, will be fit to start or not.