Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2012

Started by drici, March 31, 2012, 10:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: johnneycool on December 04, 2012, 03:11:15 PM
So no one in Ulster came within 6 points of Crossmaglen, that's pretty impressive.

Sure is. Even more so is that they have 10 Ulster titles from 10 appearances in the final. That is some going.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

armaghniac

Ah but as pointed out here before, Cross lost the second half in some of these games!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

johnneycool

Quote from: armaghniac on December 04, 2012, 03:19:39 PM
Ah but as pointed out here before, Cross lost the second half in some of these games!

Ah, the old adage at half time when you've been on the receiving end of a tanking, 'go out and win the second half for a bit of self respect', forgot about that one.

mackers

So no one in Ulster came within 6 points of Crossmaglen, that's pretty impressive.
This stat should be remembered the next time the strength of club football in Armagh is mentioned.  Cross are just a phenomenal team who would have dominated any county in Ulster.  Cross got three games in the Armagh championship as competitive as anything that was thrown up at them in Ulster.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

orangeman

Maghery 5 points in the quater final ?

orangeman

Quote from: orangeman on December 04, 2012, 03:42:06 PM

Maghery 5 points in the quater final ? Was that the closest in Armagh ?

Walter Cronc

Quote from: mackers on December 04, 2012, 03:28:56 PM
This stat should be remembered the next time the strength of club football in Armagh is mentioned.  Cross are just a phenomenal team who would have dominated any county in Ulster. Cross got three games in the Armagh championship as competitive as anything that was thrown up at them in Ulster.

Fantastic team, of that there is no doubt but they wouldn't have dominated Derry with such ease.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Walter Cronc on December 04, 2012, 04:00:22 PM
This stat should be remembered the next time the strength of club football in Armagh is mentioned.  Cross are just a phenomenal team who would have dominated any county in Ulster. Cross got three games in the Armagh championship as competitive as anything that was thrown up at them in Ulster.

Fantastic team, of that there is no doubt but they wouldn't have dominated Derry with such ease.

And by that I mean over this last 10+ years, before I get ate!!

mackers

I laid the trap and I knew it would be a Derry man to be first in as it's normally the Derry wans that look down their noses at Armagh club football the most. You had better believe that Cross would have dominated the Derry championship. Granted they might not have won 13 titles in a row in Derry as Bellaghy and Ballinderry were very good teams in the 2000s but I'd estimate that they would have won 10 or 11 out of the 13. Let's not forget that Cross have an excellent record against both those teams in Ulster.  The current crop of Cross players would walk the current Derry championship.

mackers

Quote from: orangeman on December 04, 2012, 03:42:35 PM
Quote from: orangeman on December 04, 2012, 03:42:06 PM

Maghery 5 points in the quater final ? Was that the closest in Armagh ?
Carrickcruppen were beaten by 3 points.  Ogs gave them a good match up until the last 5 minutes or so in the final.

Milltown Row2

This stat should be remembered the next time the strength of club football in Armagh is mentioned.  Cross are just a phenomenal team who would have dominated any county in Ulster.  Cross got three games in the Armagh championship as competitive as anything that was thrown up at them in Ulster.

Look lads by the time Cross get to the Ulster final they are a different team in terms of prep, strength and ability. But keep thinking that the second best team in Armagh is the second best team in Ireland!! Great line of thought
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

mackers

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 04, 2012, 04:28:21 PM

Look lads by the time Cross get to the Ulster final they are a different team in terms of prep, strength and ability. But keep thinking that the second best team in Armagh is the second best team in Ireland!! Great line of thought
That's not what I am saying.  On countless occasions on this board it has been said that Cross are just walking through Armagh a la Kerry in Munster (obv exception being Cork but you know what I mean). I don't think that's fair when you see the ease at which they are now walking through Ulster.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: mackers on December 04, 2012, 04:22:49 PM
I laid the trap and I knew it would be a Derry man to be first in as it's normally the Derry wans that look down their noses at Armagh club football the most. You had better believe that Cross would have dominated the Derry championship. Granted they might not have won 13 titles in a row in Derry as Bellaghy and Ballinderry were very good teams in the 2000s but I'd estimate that they would have won 10 or 11 out of the 13. Let's not forget that Cross have an excellent record against both those teams in Ulster.  The current crop of Cross players would walk the current Derry championship.

I certainly dont look down my nose at any county but to claim they would have won 10 or 11 of the 13 you are being slightly optimistic. Ballinderry, Bellaghy and the Loup all had strong teams during this period. Crossmaglen is not a reflection of Armagh football, it is a reflection of Crossmaglen football. Take Cross out of Armagh and how many teams would compete for Ulster? Pearse Og? Don't think so.

mackers

That's unfair on the Ogs. The one opportunity they got was in 09 and were narrowly beaten by St Galls who went on to lift the AI. Ronan Clarke was through on goal in the dying seconds and missed the chance to beat them. Hardly lambs to the slaughter.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Walter Cronc on December 04, 2012, 04:31:45 PM
Quote from: mackers on December 04, 2012, 04:22:49 PM

I certainly dont look down my nose at any county but to claim they would have won 10 or 11 of the 13 you are being slightly optimistic. Ballinderry, Bellaghy and the Loup all had strong teams during this period. Crossmaglen is not a reflection of Armagh football, it is a reflection of Crossmaglen football. Take Cross out of Armagh and how many teams would compete for Ulster? Pearse Og? Don't think so.
wise up, is this the same Pearse Ogs, the last team in ireland to beat Cross in championship football? The ones that got narrowly beat by St Gall's who went onto win it that year? They'd bate anything derry has to offer at the min, Bderry and slaughtneil were both poor in the derry final whereas Ogs and Cross played out a great final in Armagh.