Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2012

Started by drici, March 31, 2012, 10:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevie Nicks

Quote from: Maurice Moss on December 03, 2012, 04:31:55 PM
As a Kilcoo person I am very disappointed with what has happened. What was the biggest day in the history of our club will now be remembered for all the wrong reasons.

First of all, I am totally 100% against racism. I am not going to comment on the matter as the full details of what was allegedly said have not yet been released. I am in no way 'brushing it under the table' by saying this, I just feel we will know more in the coming days. I would just like to ask one question, I was in the stand but didn't hear any comments from supporters, I'm not saying it didn't happen but if it did how are people so sure it was Kilcoo supporters, were these people dressed in Kilcoo club gear?
Regarding a previous posters comment, our club have released a statement which includes "We as a club condemn abuse from whatever quarter and shall co-operate fully with any investigation instigated by Ulster Council."

I am actually quite shocked and saddened to see so many people slating our club and supporters on here and on other social networking sites. This isn't in anyway a true reflection of our club or supporters.

+1 good post mm.

Maurice Moss

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 03, 2012, 04:52:33 PM
Quote from: Maurice Moss on December 03, 2012, 04:31:55 PM
As a Kilcoo person I am very disappointed with what has happened. What was the biggest day in the history of our club will now be remembered for all the wrong reasons.

First of all, I am totally 100% against racism. I am not going to comment on the matter as the full details of what was allegedly said have not yet been released. I am in no way 'brushing it under the table' by saying this, I just feel we will know more in the coming days. I would just like to ask one question, I was in the stand but didn't hear any comments from supporters, I'm not saying it didn't happen but if it did how are people so sure it was Kilcoo supporters, were these people dressed in Kilcoo club gear?
Regarding a previous posters comment, our club have released a statement which includes "We as a club condemn abuse from whatever quarter and shall co-operate fully with any investigation instigated by Ulster Council."

I am actually quite shocked and saddened to see so many people slating our club and supporters on here and on other social networking sites. This isn't in anyway a true reflection of our club or supporters.
Mark Sidebottom was asked that question by a black listener from Kilcoo and confirmed that the abusers were wearing Kilcoo gear.

Thanks Applesisapples. I hope that this just doesn't leave a stereotype on our club after what a small minority can do.

Mourne Rover

The disciplinary process against the two Kilcoo defenders will take its course, and rightly so, but it is a little surprising to find some people claiming that the actual game was men against boys. Cross are an outstanding team who largely lost their way in the second half. Kilcoo conceded two goals in the first four minutes to a dodgy penalty and a poor kick-out, they were eleven points behind coming up to the break and their forwards managed one point from play in the entire match. However, a little more composure when they were just three points down and a man up in the final quarter could easily have snatched it for them.
Instead, the pressure got to them and they gifted Cross yet another goal late on. St Brigid's are highly unlikely to be as defensively vulnerable as Kilcoo and have some fine forwards as well. Sunday might be the wake-up call that Cross needed, but a considerable improvement will be needed if the three in a row is to be achieved.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: AQMP on December 03, 2012, 01:56:20 PM
My point is that this if this statement is true

"Mark Sidebottom made the point that he knew father and son individually, but hadn't made the connection"

it does not follow that this statement is true:

"so that any abuse by fans must have been premeditated as it would have needed some research."
But it does suggest that if statement 1 is correct then Sidebottom must be the most ill-informed sports pundit of all time
Careful now

Captain Obvious

Second time in three games Jamie Clarke didn't score. How many clubs could score a total of 18 points when one of their best forwards is held scoreless? Crossmaglen should equal Nemo Rangers record of seven All Ireland's next March.

Lady GAA GAA

I agree with thewobbler's overall point in that there is a huge issue in both the win-at-all-costs mentality and ignorance. however, i cant help but feel he undermines his position by pointing out these problems on the one hand (and citing examples) while putting the gaa on an ethical pedestal above soccer on the other. totally irrelevant and baseless. overall, it's a pointless comparison and i think the gaa would do well here to look at itself as an organisation and a culture and to identify a way forward. the first step to overcoming a problem is to accept that there is one; maybe the silver lining to yesterday will be to provoke a positive response from the gaa. a few lessons could even be learnt from english soccer perhaps- insofar as their crackdown on violence and crowd management policies are concerned. sure they even banned the rooney oik for a bit of swearing last year.

thewobbler further detracts from his argument with the abuse and stereotyping of kilcoo folk.

finally, racism is a disgusting form of discrimination and the most strenuous of efforts should be made to eradicate it completely. very difficult to do as we can't control every idiot on the terraces or on the pitch. its also a difficult task to assess how widespread a problem it is on our pitches but even once is too many and the gaa must act. sad in a way that it has taken a high-profile incident like this to bring the issue to the forefront of the gaa's mind, especially given the weak stance taken in the earlier abuse to the young lad Chin.

thewobbler

Quote from: Lady GAA GAA on December 03, 2012, 07:46:32 PM

thewobbler further detracts from his argument with the abuse and stereotyping of kilcoo folk.

I'll need to write things down more carefully so i'm not tarred like this. I didn't abuse or stereotype Kilcoo folk. I pointed out that a handful of people from Kilcoo, and from all clubs, have inbred behaviour.

INDIANA

Quote from: johnneycool on December 03, 2012, 09:04:18 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on December 03, 2012, 07:34:06 AM
Quote from: catchandkick on December 03, 2012, 12:46:25 AM
Quote from: Oglach on December 03, 2012, 12:34:35 AM
Jez get over yourselves, a lot of shite talk goes on during any match not to mention an Ulster club final, im not condoning any racist remarks by anybody from Kilcoo but it goes on with both sides.

You are thus implying that every club in Ireland contains a smattering of racists.

Possibly true, but surely if we want to spread the game among other ethnic groups in Ireland, then it needs to be blotted out asap.

Its amazing the lengths people will got to win a football match these days.

Unfortunately a lot of these types of nasty verbals started in the early part of this century. up North.

It's never been dealt with by the GAA either then or now.

Now when it moves into the realms of racism its a new low for the Association . Younger players are very impressionable and if they see this as acceptable then the game is in big trouble.

I don't think J Leahy of Mullinahone fame is from 'up North' and his comment to a Galway hurler in an AI semi-final  in the late 80's or possibly early 90's has yet to be bettered in terms of scumminess.

Cheap and ignorant comment INDIANA.

I disagree. And the reasons are sledging has become far more acceptable this century then at any other stage in the history of the game IMO. When I played if you said something out of line you just ended up sucking through a straw for 4 weeks.

In the realm of litigation etc. Sledging has become hugely popular and quite frankly a lot of Northern teams used it to their advantage. You can choose to disagree with that if you like. You can't honestly say to me that certain teams up there have pioneered this well beyond the odd throwaway remark to the extent it's used as an active way of winning matches?

its now common place everywhere. even at underage.
I've heard it myself at underage games in Dublin and its sickening to listen to.

Well when you've players reciting phone numbers of girlfriends back to opponents, as well as various other obscenties at inter county level I dunno why we're so surprised that we've now entered the realms of racist remarks. At all levels including underage.

It was never dealt with by the Gaa in any fashion and its now at epidemic proportions.

You just hope some good will come out of this.  As we've reached a new low as an Association yesterday.

johnneycool

Quote from: INDIANA on December 03, 2012, 11:38:04 PM
Jez get over yourselves, a lot of shite talk goes on during any match not to mention an Ulster club final, im not condoning any racist remarks by anybody from Kilcoo but it goes on with both sides.

You are thus implying that every club in Ireland contains a smattering of racists.

Possibly true, but surely if we want to spread the game among other ethnic groups in Ireland, then it needs to be blotted out asap.

Unfortunately a lot of these types of nasty verbals started in the early part of this century. up North.

Now when it moves into the realms of racism its a new low for the Association . Younger players are very impressionable and if they see this as acceptable then the game is in big trouble.

I don't think J Leahy of Mullinahone fame is from 'up North' and his comment to a Galway hurler in an AI semi-final  in the late 80's or possibly early 90's has yet to be bettered in terms of scumminess.

I disagree. And the reasons are sledging has become far more acceptable this century then at any other stage in the history of the game IMO. When I played if you said something out of line you just ended up sucking through a straw for 4 weeks.

In the realm of litigation etc. Sledging has become hugely popular and quite frankly a lot of Northern teams used it to their advantage. You can choose to disagree with that if you like. You can't honestly say to me that certain teams up there have pioneered this well beyond the odd throwaway remark to the extent it's used as an active way of winning matches?

I've heard it myself at underage games in Dublin and its sickening to listen to.

Well when you've players reciting phone numbers of girlfriends back to opponents, as well as various other obscenties at inter county level I dunno why we're so surprised that we've now entered the realms of racist remarks. At all levels including underage.

It was never dealt with by the Gaa in any fashion and its now at epidemic proportions.

You just hope some good will come out of this.  As we've reached a new low as an Association yesterday.

I don't think we've reached a new low as Aaron Cunningham is not the first to be racially abused and possibly won't be the last, but the GAA has to make a proper stand on this and draw a line in the sand, but as can be seen from how quickly they got Armagh to drop the 'Brit' accusations against Laois player Sheehan, they're quite happy to cover up certain types of abuse and I'm sure Donal O'g wouldn't have gotten much comfort from HQ if he'd complained about the abuse metered out to him.

I'm in agreement with you on the 'sledging' aspect which has crept in to the game in a bigger way, I'd be disgusted if it was encouraged by management to gain an edge and as you say anyone at it should be picking their teeth out of their shíte the next day. I think it more a modern thing than a northern thing. I've played on HE hurling teams where lads have been called brits and so on and that was back in the 90's. I'd be wrong to make a sweeping statement and say it was all Leinster counties or Munster counties at it, it was individuals who thought they're the next Oscar Wilde with their witisms.

One thing that does get on my goat and I noticed it also recently, is managers slabbering at opposition players, I just think that is pathetic and unwarranted, they should be concentrating on their own team, happens more at club level in all fairness.

BarryBreensBandage

Well Said, Johnney -

Indiana, away and chase yourself. Are you on the wind up?

Why do you think it is only in recent years that the Meath and Cork teams from late Eighties/early Nineties have been able to meet and speak to each other? I can still remember the rumours of what was being said on the field between the two teams, especially between Liam Hayes and Larry Tompkins.

Now, could have been all crap, but there was definitely some truth in it.
To think that those two great teams went head to head so many times, hated each other, and not a word spoken? Come off it.

And what about the great Dublin/Meath battles. Players inviting each other over for Afternoon Tea? Don't think so.

For a man that seems to have played a lot of Senior Football from your posts, I can't believe that you think that this started in the last decade or so.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

AQMP

Quote from: INDIANA on December 03, 2012, 11:38:04 PM

I'm amazed you think this is a recent phenomenon INDIANA.  Surely the real pioneers were a certain Leinster county in the late 80s and early 90s?  Another Leinster county have been at the "British" thing with Ulster counties for years, I first heard it anecdotally more than 15 years ago.

Of course that was good natured banter?

drici

Perfect 10

Once again Crossmaglen Rangers are the kingpins of Ulster as they claimed their tenth title in 17 years with a 3-09 to 1-09 over Kilcoo at a well attended Athletic Grounds, Armagh. The defending Ulster and All Ireland Champions displayed the sublime and the ridiculous in the opening Half, withstood a stirring second Half fight back from the rank outsiders, showing grit and their vast experience to survive and despite being reduced to 13 players, finish on the ascendency.

Down Champions Kilcoo talked the talk in the lead up to the game but all of their best made plans were torn to shreds in a disastrous opening 5 minutes which saw them trail by 7 points which ultimately proved fatal at the final whistle. From the throw in Cross were on the front foot with a foul on team captain David McKenna allowing Stephen Kernan find Kyle Carragher, operating at full forward, with his lay off to Aaron Kernan just going out over the end line. Kilcoo did not heed the danger signs as 2 minutes later a similar move through Carragher was offloaded to Clarke who parted to Stephen Kernan but before he got on the end of the ball he was tripped by Gerard McEvoy for a penalty with the defender picking up the game's first yellow card. Elder statesman Oisín McConville took the responsibility from the spot with keeper Stephen Kane getting his hands to the shot but could not push it around the post. Before you could draw breath the opening move of the game was replicated but this time Aaron Kernan got to the ball and the second green flag was raised. The goal from Aaron was the fiftieth Ulster Championship goal Cross have scored. Full back Paul Kernan played a long ball to his brother Tony and he duly supplied the opening point of the match to make it 2-01 to nil and only 5 minutes gone. A rout looked on the cards as Kilcoo were at sea all over the park but a Paul Devlin free for their first score settled them a little.

Kilcoo caught like a rabbit in the headlights found no respite as Aaron Cunningham placed Stephen Kernan for a point followed by a monster 50 yard free from Oisín. Stephen Kernan plundered his second point before Kyle Carragher pointed a good goal chance following a four man move. On 18 minutes Cunningham got in on the scoring to make the score 2-06 to 0-01 and no way back for the sorrowful magpies, so it seemed. Back between the sticks after missing the Semi Final through sickness Paul Hearty made a save from Gerard McAvoy and following an 18 minute barren spell Kilcoo got their second point, another free converted by Darragh O'Hanlon. Hamstring victim Stephen Kernan was replaced by Mickey McNamee and the pendulum swung in favour of the underdogs as the Champions became very careless with their passing. Anthony Devlin received a handy free converted by namesake Paul 2-06 to 0-03 which was to remain to the short whistle. Cross had failed to score in the last 12 minutes of the half while Kilcoo failed to score from play for the entire Half. The Down Champions could draw a glimmer of hope from Warrenpoint in the preceding match as they came from behind to force Extra Time when all had looked lost.

The Champions began the second Half like the first with Aaron Kernan from a free following a foul on the raiding James Morgan extending their lead. But the score that again put double digits between the teams acted as a signal for Kilcoo to throw caution to the wind and a decision to go down fighting with their boots on. Donal Kane notched their first score from play and inspired his team to add a further 1-3 without reply as they enjoyed their period of dominance. Pointed frees from O'Hanlon and Paul Devlin followed before the elusive Conor Laverty deftly supplied the ball to Anthony Devlin and he fired past Hearty for a tonic goal 1-06 to 2-07. Clarke was denied a Cross goal as McNamee got a straight red card for alleged striking and Cunningham picked up a yellow card as he reached boiling point for reasons detailed elsewhere. The challengers had the bit between their teeth further buoyed by the departure of Rangers towering full back Paul Kernan with an injury replaced by Danny O'Callaghan for his first Championship outing since the All Ireland Final replay with Garrycastle following his sojourn to Australia. A third pointed free from O'Hanlon had the lead whittled down to just a kick of the ball 2-07 to 1-07 and the hitherto sorrowful magpies looked set to pinch more glory just like they did in the Semi Final against St Gall's.

A sideline fracas interrupted the flow and proved detrimental as Cross just seem to thrive following those physical confrontations. The Champions were given lift off by the tiff as they upped the tempo of their play, regained their composure and got back to the way they know best, when the going gets tough the tough get going as they have shown over the years. Martin Aherne, who was excellent go on the end of an Oisín pass to stick over a very important point that put two scores between the sides it also ended over a half hour's play in which the Champions had scored just a solitary point. Callum Cumiskey replaced Carragher who faded after a very bright start with Kilcoo introducing Feilim McGreevy for Jerome Johnston and James McClean for goalscorer Devlin. With five minutes left on the clock a foul on Oisín enabled Aaron Kernan extend the lead to 5 points 2-09 to 1-07. Jamie Clarke picked up a second yellow and Cross were down to 13 as Kyle Brennan replaced Cunningham for Cross and Seán Devlin came on for Donal Kane for Kilcoo. On the stroke of the hour Ahern brilliantly dispossessed Aidan Brannigan as Kilcoo tried to advance in numbers out of defence. Inside Aherne in acres of space all alone was Oisín. Martin advanced with the ball gave it to Oisín and as he drew keeper Kane he passed across goal to substitute Brennan who had made up terrific ground to join the attack he punched the ball into an empty net for a goal with his first touch that sealed the title. Ronan Finnegan replaced Hughes in the Rangers defence.

Just as Tony McEntee had said pre-match Kilcoo would go to the final whistle they did just that and finished with the last two points as O'Hanlon took his tally to four with his first point from play followed by one from substitute Ryan Johnston to leave the final score 3-09 to 1-09. Kilcoo will point to their terrible start as the reason for their defeat and will be more than satisfied that they made a game of it following that dreadful start.

Cross being Cross are well known idlers once in a big lead but when push came to shove they knew the gears to click into to get themselves out of trouble. Although they will not complain, they did not seem to get a fair return from the referee who was put under the spotlight during the week by Kilcoo manager Jim McCorry. Rangers team have given their management plenty to work with in the months ahead following their performance against Kilcoo which will allow for no complacency especially now that O'Callaghan is back looking for his starting berth.

As usual the Champions make hard work of winning but now have made it Championship win number 28 under Tony and Gareth. February 17th against old rivals Connacht Champions for the third year in a row Roscommon's finest St Brigid's will be keen to avenge two previous defeats. For now Crossmaglen Rangers can bask in their second Ulster treble which takes their Ulster Final record to the perfect 10 out of 10

Kilcoo: Stephen Kane; Niall Branigan, Aidan Branigan, Darragh O'Hanlon 0-4; Seán O'Hanlon, Gerard McEvoy, Daryl Branigan; Ryan Johnstone 0-1, Paul Greenan; Donal Kane 0-1, Paul Devlin 0-3, Gary McEvoy; Jerome Johnstone, Anthony Devlin 1-0, Conor Laverty.

Subs Sean Devlin, Felim McGreevy, James McClean

Crossmaglen: Paul Hearty; Paul Hughes, Paul Kernan, Paul McKeown; Aaron Kernan 1-1, James Morgan, Martin Aherne 0-1; Johnny Hanratty, David McKenna; Kyle Carragher 0-1, Stephen Kernan 0-2, Tony Kernan 0-1; Jamie Clarke, Aaron Cunningham 0-1, Oisín McConville 1-2.

Subs Callum Cumiskeey, Kyle Brennan 1-0, Danny O'Callaghan, Michael McNamee, Ronan Finnegan.

drici

Sunday 21st October
Preliminary Round:
Mullahoran(Cavan) 1-07   Errigal Ciarán(Tyrone) 4-15   (Breffni Park)

Sunday 4th November
Quarter Finals:
Tempo Maguires(Fermanagh) 0-09  St Galls(Antrim) 1-15   (Brewster Park)

Ballybay Pearse Brothers(Monaghan) 0-07  Kilcoo Eoghan Rua(Down) 0-13   (Clones)

Errigal Ciarán(Tyrone) 0-11  Ballinderry Shamrocks(Derry) 0-10   (Healy Park)

Sunday 11th November
Quarter Final:
Crossmaglen Rangers(Armagh) 3-11  Naomh Adhamhnáin(Donegal) 1-07   (Athletic Grounds)

Sunday 18th November
Semi Finals:
St Galls(Antrim) 0-10  Kilcoo Eoghan Rua(Down) 1-09   (Athletic Grounds)

Crossmaglen Rangers(Armagh) 2-10  Errigal Ciarán(Tyrone) 0-10   (Clones)

Sunday 2nd December
Final:
Crossmaglen Rangers(Armagh) 3-09   Kilcoo Eoghan Rua(Down) 1-09

johnneycool

So no one in Ulster came within 6 points of Crossmaglen, that's pretty impressive.